Commissionaires Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Commissionaires Executive Director J. Douglas Briscoe
J. Douglas Briscoe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They have flexible hours and many posts allow the use of a laptop during evening/overnight/weekend shifts which helped me to study while at work (in 3 reviews)

• They pay above the industry average and offer decent benefits, offer free training, and provide free uniforms (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay Model outdated - based on ex-military receiving a pension with the Commissionaires acting as a top up (in 3 reviews)

• Only former LE/Military remain full-time (in 3 reviews)

"Security Guard"

I have been working at Commissionaires full-time

Pros

Flexible hours. Great friendly people. Pay
    and benefits better than most other security company.

Cons

Some work sites better than others.

"Commissionaires should have a class action suite against them for sexual harassment"

Former Employee - Dispatcher in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Former Employee - Dispatcher in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I worked at Commissionaires full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Non unless you need to learn how to pervert justice and not be caught.

Cons

Everything. They believe that they are above the law and rules don’t apply to them. Capable of falsifying reports to suit there point of view. HR is a joke. Only promote people with there views- sexism, racism, bullying. Supported a commissionaire who assaulted a native in social services.

Advice to Management

You know who you are and what you do. You will be caught one day.

"The worse company for a women in security"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Commissionaires full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They give you great experience in security and help you grow as a security officer

Cons

Basically if your not a white, male, military your nothing....you could work for them for years and they wont care about you when it boils down to it.

Advice to Management

You guys need to really look at how people who are non-military are treated ....Norm is the most unfair person...............as a person you cant stand up for yourself in this company.

"Security guard/instructor/special constable"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I worked at Commissionaires full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interaction with public/assist the public

Cons

Allow harassment to continue after reported & accuse the person being harassed of doing the harassment. Very bad support of women. Heavily old boys club mentality. Inadequate handling of their own harassment policies. Ongoing bullying accompanied by verbal threats by ceo's & cronies. Improper & unfair discipline/favouritism/poor pay structure/promotions and/or movement for incompetent workers. These are just a few things I have experienced over a ten year period.

Advice to Management

No advice to give them..they know already & believe they will never be caught. They need to be audited, investigated & brought to the media as well. The wpg branch is the worst employer I hv ever dealt with.

"Scamming Employment Agency"

Current Employee - Cmre in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cmre in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Commissionaires full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some employment is available to applicants.

Cons

Discrimination.

Unfair wage to individual commissionaire compared to what clients pay for service to the corp.

Glorified employment agency.

Expects applicants to already have a primary source of income.

Mistreats young veterans. Wpuld prefer only retired vets with 22 plus years of service.

Disregards qualifications, aptitude and experience when hiring within the corp.

Misleads new hires on wages and opportunities for advancement or new positions.

Contract manager(s) that don't return calls or reply to email.

Hides under the guise of "Non-Profit" in order to excuse the mistreatment of employees.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Are you more concerend with building new, extra comfortable, offices or the actual well being of employees?

6. "Very good company"

Current Employee - Security Guard in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Commissionaires full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No company is perfect, but they are damn close. The pay for commissionaires is very good for the security industry and i myself have never had a problem. The hours are good and also the locations are easy. As student, it makes my life much easier.

Cons

Getting hours can be difficult sometimes but i think the only magor con is that they dont fire people who absolutely do not deserve a job. You will work with people who dont give a sh** about you or the job. 1/10 people fall into this category but the others are good employees who do a great job and are there to help you.

Advice to Management

Listen to your guards. If someone has many complaints on there record, fire them. They take hours from hard working people.

"Security Guard"

Former Employee - Security Guard in Kingston, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Kingston, ON (Canada)

I worked at Commissionaires (More than 3 years)

Pros

Run Don't Do it!
    Seriously you can get your enforcement experience anywhere else this company will just use you and hang you out to dry you are a number to them and they show you that!

Cons

To many to write
    WORST experience I've ever had from a company
    RUN from the Kingston Office
    Go to another agency like I did in Kingston (Many more opportunities)

"Security"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Commissionaires full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Initial training, Uniform allowance

Cons

Poor Pay/ Compensation , Horrible communication between HQ and Sites

Advice to Management

Focus more on providing actual service to customers and not just placing a body on site. Pay guard fair wages compared to contracts

"Unfair treatment of employees"

Current Employee - Security Guard in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Commissionaires full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free uniform, and like what, one or two additional days of vacation and sick leave?

Cons

-The Commissionaires expects total and complete dedication to the corps and demands that you work around their convenience, rather than allowing for a stable and consistent schedule.
    -Your health and safety as an employee is not at all a concern for the corps.
    -The dispatchers in the company pick and choose when they have an obligation to do their job rather than facing their work objectively.
    -Selective favouritism, racism, homophobia, and sexism, are deeply rooted in the core of the company.
    -There is very little communication between headquarters and the sections you'll be working at.
    -Everything operates on "Seniority" unless it is otherwise convenient for your supervisor/dispatch/BOM/headquarters.
    -Approval for leave is very difficult to get, or to even have acknowledged.
    -Being a Full Time employee does not guarantee you full time hours. It simply means you are available upon their request, full time.

Advice to Management

The guards you have working at the locations with your clients should be listened to, because these are the people you have representing the company. If you don't care for the backbone of your company, it's going to break. We deserve the respect you demand from us.

"Security Guard"

Former Employee - Securiy Guard in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Securiy Guard in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Commissionaires full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing good to say

Cons

Just about everything was crooked about this place. A big scam!

Advice to Management

Bad place to work at! Stay away! The management is full of Third World and French farmer dictators who act rude and arrogant. They think that they are running the White House!

Terribly incompetent. They kept on making mistakes with my contacts, sending me to places where guards were not needed, then saying "Oh we made a mistake. We are sending you home but we will pay you for 4 hours."

Then they would twist facts and make rumours about me, saying it was me who didn't want to work! Very crooked company!