Commissioning Agents Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert Chew, PE

1. "Best of the Best"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Commissioning Agents full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Commissioning Agents, Inc. (CAI) is a 100% employee owned company (ESOP). CAI has a very flat organization with the Client Managers (CM) as the focal point of the company. All "management" functions exist to support the CMs and fellow employee owners. Continuous education is not only allowed, but encourage with 40 hrs paid time and paid expenses annually. Yes, we work hard and many of us travel, but we are well compensated for our efforts and treated as the professionals that we are. Hourly employee owners are paid time and half for all billable hours over forty per week. Teamwork and effective communications are the norm, not just buzz words. I plan to stay a CAI employee/owner until I retire!

Cons

We are growing so fast, it is hard to find qualified, potential employee owners, hence we have to work more hours than desired at times.

Advice to Management

To my fellow employee owners, keep up the good work that differentiates CAI as the company to use when you need to meet a higher standard.

"Great place to work long-term"

Current Employee - Validation Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Validation Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Commissioning Agents full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One can drive their career in different directions and go as far as they want without having to wait for someone to retire or expire. Pay is based on my value to the client, not my job title.

The flexibility of the job and company support is good, as I've been able to manage as a single parent for over 15 years (although working for this company as a single parent is not something I'd recommend).

The retirement is awesome. I'll be able to retire at age 59 and 1/2 (no penalty for IRA withdrawals) and live off the interest (!) of my retirement account. Being an employee-owned company has its benefits, profit sharing being one of them.

Cons

The lack of certainty about where one will be several months down the road can be unsettling for someone if they're not used to project-based employment, but I've always had work.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't need my help. The company has done very well for over 20 years without my advice.

"Excellent Opportunity for the Highly Motivated"

Current Employee - Project Manager, Senior Validation Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Commissioning Agents full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent opportunities for growth; well-developed, multi-tiered technical qualification program; challenging work environment; responsive and efficient admin group; good compensation, decent benefits, and fantastic retirement plan. The company is 100% employee-owned. Internal budget for internal/external training and marketing. Full-time employment, rather than 1099.

For those people who are highly motivated, willing to take initiative, and communicate with management about project-related issues and career/development goals, CAI offers limitless opportunities.

I have also had no issues regarding work/life balance. In my experience, project managers, regional managers, and the home office (admin group) are all quite responsive with respect to work/life balance issues.

"Validation Engineer"

Current Employee - Validation Engineer in San Juan, PR
    Current Employee - Validation Engineer in San Juan, PR

I have been working at Commissioning Agents full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has excellent benefits and compensation package. Great professional development plan. There transparency and support is always available when needed.

Cons

Travel is a given. Employees that under perform are not managed as they should which can create an unbalance in the work environment leading to other high performance employees not to give their 100%.

"Top Heavy and Difficult to Enter"

Current Employee - Validation in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Validation in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Commissioning Agents full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health Beni supplemented, introduction to client sites

Cons

Pay, extra side tasks (some paid some not), Admin difficult, travel

Advice to Management

Pay more and treat travelers better

"CAI work"

Current Employee - Automatio Engineer in Pueblo West, CO
    Current Employee - Automatio Engineer in Pueblo West, CO

I have been working at Commissioning Agents full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Varied projects, never stagnant, room to grow, good benefits- retirement, generous vacation

Cons

A lot of travel. No paid holidays. Can't pick team members.

Commissioning Agents Response

Feb 27, 2015 – President

Employees earn 2 paid days off per month (24 paid days off per year) plus up to five sick days. Employees can pick which holidays they want off (e.g., not everyone celebrates Christmas). And ... More

"Validation Specialist"

Former Employee - Validation Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Validation Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Commissioning Agents full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training, training, training. Ability to grow in your career if you're self motivated.

Cons

Travel was difficult at times. But that is expected for this type of work.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Great people to work with, helpful and understanding"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Commissioning Agents full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were always ready and willing to assist me in understanding the ins and outs of the industry. My supervisor was eager to assist me in preparing for my next assignment and to move up in the organization.

Cons

Income is hourly, based on client bookings and assignments are based on client acceptance of me on their project. I was 'on the bench' for short periods of time. Work locations vary throughout the region and are not permanent, on the road most of the time.

"An Opportunity for Bio-Pharma Industry If You Like to Travel"

Former Employee - Validation Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Validation Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Commissioning Agents full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay you while you are "on the bench" waiting to be sent out for work.
    Quick, Weekly reimbursements on all travel expenses
    Provides a good quality company laptop for travel
    Weekly business status reports from President keeps employees informed
    Company is employee owned
    Office staff is polite and professional.
    Flexible to employee vacations, off-time, and travel arrangements except change fees.

Cons

Little say if any, in assignments.
    Assignments are often not good use of your talents and skill sets.
    Little communication from management on your personal situation, a ton of communication on company business
    You need to wait 2 years to get full vesting for your profit sharing. There is no in-between levels.
    Very particular rules on travel reimbursements (ex: must provide boarding passes in addition to receipts)
    Health care plan options could be improved
    Does not pay airfare change fees if employee has good personal reasons

Advice to Management

Offer quality health care plans, since this is an employee owned company, pay for it in full
    Offer other better benefits
    Do not require boarding passes for airfare reimbursement. Hardly anyone else does
    Re-decorate or consider a new home corporate office. The existing one does not present a good image.
    Offer to pay change fees if an employee breaks their leg or their kid is in the hospital the night before the flight.
    Some client site managers need to be removed or re-evaluated for their performance and professionalism, especially to the site contractors.

Commissioning Agents Response

Feb 27, 2015 – President

Health insurance is a high-deductible w/ HSA. Families pay modest $20/ month for coverage - most employers would charge hundreds per month for family coverage. Each of last two years, company ... More

11. "Over 3 Years..."

Current Employee - Validation Specialist
    Current Employee - Validation Specialist

I have been working at Commissioning Agents full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and Benefits of an Employee Owned Company

Cons

I haven't really encountered any downsides to this point that would warrant a comment in this box.