KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Common Sail Investment Group Reviews

Updated Jun 18, 2022

Found 116 of over 118 reviews

4.1
Common Sail Investment Group CEO Dan Hughes (no image)
Dan Hughes

McKinsey & Company

131 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "This company has a fantastic culture with great people.(in 9 reviews)
  • "Executives are down to earth and make every effort to take care of employees.(in 8 reviews)
  • "The people I work with are amazing and have turned into some of my close friends.(in 8 reviews)
  • "Everyone is committed to providing the best experience possible and it is so cool to be a part of it.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Compassionate leadership whose mission in life and business is to care for people.(in 4 reviews)
Cons
  • "It is exciting that the company is growing at an exponential rate, but management is very hesitant to hire more employees to complement such, which drives down morale.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company to work for

Apr 11, 2022 - Maintenance Supervisor in Troy, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

They take great care of there good employees

Cons

I have no complaints about this company

2. 2.0

Be weary and cautious

Jun 18, 2022 - Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Built relationships with a lot of great people during training and other outings -Ability to help families and see the impact you were able to have on them -Fair pay with average benefits

Cons

-1440 culture isn’t what they try to drill into your mind 24/7. Words and actions don’t correlate to their beliefs. You drink the juice until you realize the real problems that are going on. -lack of growth opportunities -No work life balance, always heavy pressure to hit your numbers and no grace or willingness to understand when you don’t -Make sure you’re a yes man and don’t ask too many questions.

Brand Marketer

Hello, We are happy you felt you were able to build great relationships and that you loved the opportunity to make an impact with families every day. We agree that a sales position is a metric-driven role and that with that inherently comes pressure, however, we would like to hear from you about the different ways we can improve work-life balance. We would love to talk to you directly and get the specifics of your review if you care about our company getting better, as we are always eager to learn the ways we can improve the employee experience we provide. To speak with us, please call Pam Hayes at (810) 220-2655.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee

LOVE LOVE LOVE <3

Dec 13, 2021 - Marketing Coordinator in Brighton, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

The day that I applied for this job I had NO IDEA it would end up meaning so much to me in so little time... After college I spent a year in a job I didn't love or even like... feeling like I gave up on myself and settled. The whole time I was still looking/searching for my dream job because I refuse to be stuck in a job or place that I am not excited or happy to be at everyday. This is where most of our lives and I hate feeling like I am wasting my time doing something I don't even like. And then I found Common Sail Investment Group <3 I had no idea... This job, surrounded by these amazing people, creating this incredible work culture and environment is has been MY DREAM for such a long time, and I am finally living it! Ever since I walked in here on my first day and still now I have felt so incredibly appreciated, loved, and valued. This is a place with a culture and work environment that is not at all easy to find because once you do you don't leave it. I found an incredible place and my goodness do I love it <3

Cons

No one or place is perfect so I am sure there may be some but I have yet to experience any. However, I can say this is certainly the kind of place that once aware of the issue would do everything in their power and within reason to learn, improve, and be better.

4. 2.0

Toxic and Stressful

May 4, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice office, paid holidays, company parties, and decent benefits.

Cons

Extremely stressful environment. Company grew to quickly for office teams to keep up with demands. No support, lies, empty promises, and unrealistic expectations placed on overworked individuals. Promotes an "employee first" culture but refuses to pay community level staff livable wages. The company made no effort to analyze changes in compensation yet continuously wondered why they couldn't hire/maintain low level staff. Happier to lose quality people than to compensate.

1 person found this review helpful

Common Sail Investment Group Response

Hello, Thank you for providing feedback. We are glad you appreciated our nice office, benefits, PTO policy, and parties. We do recognize that our quick growth can come along with some growing pains, but it is our goal is always to maintain support and our employee-first culture. We want to learn from you directly how we can be better. Please call Pam Hayes at (810) 220-2655 to talk with us about your experience. Thank you.

5. 5.0

Wonderful Company

Mar 23, 2022 - Community Specialist in Fairfield, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Valued you and invested in you and your goals while pushing you beyond what you believe to be your potential

Cons

Communication is not always clear

Common Sail Investment Group Response

Hello, Thank you for your 5-star review. We are glad to hear that you felt valued within our company. We are always looking for ways to improve our communication and would like to connect with you directly to learn more. If you are interested in sharing more about your experience and suggestions for improvement, please call Pam Hayes at (810) 220-2655. Thank you.

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Unnecessary stress

Sep 21, 2021 - Anonymous Former Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked at the Brighton corporate office for just over 3 years. Just starting out in my career I was taken advantage of by management with the constant promise of more. Overall I was being underpaid the whole time with only 1 cost of living wage increase.. Cost of living goes up about 2-3% yearly. Senior management regularly overstepped direct manager by changing priorities or and project landscapes and caused lots of wasted time and effort. The whole company culture employee first thing seems like a giant ploy to sway unsure employees into staying when they are on the brink of mental breakdown. I was often talked down to and generally felt like a lesser human while working at CSIG. I voiced my opinion about this a few times. The one time something came of it the person helping me got fired. That brings me to turnover. People will get fired because someone else didn't like their tone. It has been this way for 20 years. I have a personal connection to people that worked here when the company was starting out. CSIG still uses the excuse that they are a growing company to account for all of the aforementioned. But the goal of a company is to always grow so that excuse is them being irresponsible for their actions.

Cons

compensation, benefits, all the rude ladies in the homecare sector of the business. General feeling of being beholden to others.

11 people found this review helpful

Brand Marketer

Hello, Thank you for leaving a review of Common Sail Investment Group. We are sorry that you didn't enjoy the people you worked with or the culture at our office. We are not perfect and are on a continued journey to learn how we can best support our employees and make them feel appreciated and valued. We do want to address some of the items outlined in your review. We do have an annual merit-based increase process that each employee is eligible for, and we encourage employees to go to their leader regarding opportunities for additional compensation. For any employee that needs support with mental health, we have EAP (employee assistance program) that is available to them as well as their immediate household. EAP provides up to three free counseling sessions and other resources for employees to take advantage of. For any employee that feels talked down to or mistreated, we have an HR department at home office with an open door policy and encourage our employees to reach out to them as needed. If you would like to help us learn from your experience and improve, please call Pam Hayes at (810) 220-2655. Thank you.

7. 3.0
    Former Employee

Review

May 1, 2022 - Recruiter
    Business Outlook

Pros

It is a fun environment, young employees, and good benefits

Cons

No growth opportunities, communication can be lacking, and there is no work/life balance

1 person found this review helpful

Common Sail Investment Group Response

Hello, Thank you for your review. We are glad you appreciated our fun work environment and benefits. We are disappointed that you did not feel that there were growth opportunities, as it is part of our employee-first culture to promote our dedicated team members. As part of this culture, we also understand the importance of communication and work-life balance, which is why we would like to connect with you directly to learn more. If you are interested in sharing more about your experience and our opportunities for improvement, please call Pam Hayes at (810) 220-2655. Thank you.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good Experience so Far

Sep 14, 2021 - Recruiter
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have only been here a few months, but everyone I’ve met is friendly and welcoming and I truly believe we share a common mission and desire to serve others. I came from a company where turnover was incredibly high and nothing was done to bring employees together - I already feel a night and day difference and see the same faces every day and have already gotten to experience the company picnic as well as lots of team bonding in my department!

Cons

It is a fast growing company and we are still figuring a lot of processes out as we go. Plenty of organizations experience this and it can be a rewarding experience if you embrace the challenges that come with it.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Started off rough, but improved over time

Jun 20, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company has a good focus on employee culture. The enjoy it team did a nice job of having events when possible that were actually fun. The dress code is more relaxed than the typical business casual. The company was open to improving processes which helped save time doing menial tasks on the job. Also, managers were very flexible with schedules.

Cons

The accounting department had strong cliques when I first started. If you didn’t fit in, you were immediately ostracized. Office gossip and bullying made for a hostile work environment for the first few months I was employed until I was no longer the new person in our department. There was also no process for training new employees. The atmosphere was pretty much sink or swim. Most of the department was patient while you were new and learning, but there were a few employees who weren’t afraid to laugh at you and let you know they thought you had little intelligence for not picking up the job tasks immediately. There is no real way to move up in the company unless you become management’s pet. You’re not valued based on your work. The pay is under market value and it’s well known that no one wants to stay in AP for more than a year. Accountants will look down on you and expect you to drop everything for their requests.

4 people found this review helpful

Brand Marketer

Hello, Thank you for leaving a review. We take the concerns outlined in your review very seriously and want to address some of them here. We are happy that you liked the company culture, dress code, and schedule flexibility and that we are open to change when it helps efficiency. We would love to connect with you directly on opportunities for training improvements and learn more about the cliquey nature you encountered. We do not tolerate bullying in the workplace and want to ensure everyone feels safe and supported at work. To speak with us, please reach out to Pam Hayes at (810) 220-2655. Thank you!

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Best Company Ever

Nov 5, 2021 - Digital Marketing Specialist in Brighton, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Common Sail truly cares about its employees. I am excited every day to get to work for this company. They made me feel welcomed right from day one. This company really knows what they're doing and they're so organized. I highly recommend working here.

Cons

The kitchen has a lot of snacks to choose from. This is actually a pro.

3 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 116 Reviews

Common Sail Investment Group Reviews FAQs

Common Sail Investment Group has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 118 reviews left anonymously by employees. 69% of employees would recommend working at Common Sail Investment Group to a friend and 78% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Common Sail Investment Group employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Common Sail Investment Group. This rating has decreased by -10% over the last 12 months.

69% of Common Sail Investment Group employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Common Sail Investment Group 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 4.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Common Sail Investment Group to be benefits, senior leadership, career development and the cons to be management .

Popular Careers with Common Sail Investment Group Job Seekers