Common Sail Investment Group Reviews

Updated Apr 29, 2021

4.6
Common Sail Investment Group CEO Dan Hughes (no image)
Dan Hughes
Pros
  • "Last but not least, we have an amazing culture and work life balance(in 8 reviews)

• "The company truly cares not only for the residents but the employee too(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Company is growing new businesses at an almost frantic rate, and is not sufficiently learning from mistakes from past growth issues ( I(in 6 reviews)

• "There are no downsides to working for CSIG(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome Place to work

Apr 29, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company culture is awesome. Everyone is committed to providing the best experience possible and it is so cool to be a part of it.

Cons

Can't think of any negatives.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Positive Culture, Your Voice Matters

Mar 2, 2021 - Human Resources Team Member in Brighton, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am so happy to work with Common Sail. Our culture is so positive, caring, inspiring, and FUN! The company truly cares about your professional development and your career goals. I feel valued, heard, and my work means something more here. I feel like I am treated as a person and not an employee most days. Most of all, I feel like my work positively impacts others, and that is what matters most. Our leader leads by example, provides a lot of support while also providing autonomy, and welcomes creativity. Work-life balance. Ability to wfh when needed.

Cons

401(k) benefit is not very generous. Because we are growing so rapidly, there are a lot of changes that happen fairly frequently, which can be stressful for some (but exciting to others!). Change is constant, you must accept this in order to be successful at Common Sail.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great Company To Work For!

Apr 26, 2021 - Community Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee first, work life balance, culture, support

Cons

high pressure job, fast pace environment

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Place To Be

Dec 18, 2020 - Learning and Development Specialist in Brighton, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

- I feel like I can approach leadership with any questions, concerns, or ideas and they are open to feedback and innovation - From day one this felt like a community where everyone treats each other like family - The work feels impactful

Cons

- I would love to see more racial diversity, but I am really happy about the diversity in age, experience, work and leadership styles, etc. - The work here is never done! (This can also be a positive as I know there are always things to work on and ways to improve) but sometimes the tasks feel like mountains.

Continue reading
      1 person found this review helpful

Brand Marketer

Hello, Thank you for your review of Common Sail Investment Group! We love to hear that you feel confident approaching your leader and team. We also love the fact that you felt like a part of a bigger family from the beginning. Our goal is to hire the best talent and be a diversified environment. We would love to connect with you directly to discuss ideas you may have on how we can find more talented employees. Please connect with Pam Hayes at (810) 220-2655 to discuss your feedback. We appreciate you! Thank you.

5. 5.0

Great Company

Feb 9, 2021 - Technical Support Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

My coworkers, and the atmosphere

Cons

I have came across no cons with the company

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Experience!

Mar 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of room for personal career growth Great working atmosphere

Cons

Lacking business processes Leadership in some areas are pretty green and need a lot of supervision/oversight to grow into an effective leader

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fun atmosphere

Jan 25, 2021 - Treasury Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance & Company Culture

Cons

Unfortunately, lots of office politics & not enough woman in senior roles

Brand Marketer

Hello, Thank you for leaving a review of Common Sail Investment Group! We love to learn that you appreciate the culture at work and your work-life balance. Women hold all different positions at our organization. We encourage you to reach out to our Director of HR, Pam Hayes, to learn about the women in leadership roles at Common Sail. To reach her, please call (810) 220-2655. Thank you!

8. 5.0

Great Place to Work

Jan 14, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great co-workers, love the culture.

Cons

A lot of changes, just have to be used to it!

9. 3.0

Not always as it seems

Oct 21, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Beautiful and convenient corporate office with snacks, drinks, team building events, and lots of friendly faces. Multiple private planes that some corporate employees have the privilege to travel in. Benefits are generous but very mediocre in comparison to organizations the same size. Lots of departments and availability to try out working with or on other teams. Company is continuing to grow, acquire more businesses, and revenue is not wavering by any means. Overall friendly atmosphere, and work-life balance is great for most employees organization-wide. Most people work here several years, and there's a lot of employees who are younger and of all genders. There's definitely a strong presence of equality regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, body modifications (i.e. tattoos), race, ethnic group, etc. Although, if you look around, most of the younger women look the same which is kind of concerning if you think about it.

Cons

The company is growing rapidly. The growing pains are REAL and CLEAR and it's frustrating that so many leaders are incapable of managing expectations of their teams and stakeholders and therefore every task/project turns into an emergency and last minute fire drill. Lots of nepotism and other similar arrangements, which I have seen become an unfair disadvantage to others. Executive team and regional leaders are clueless, arrogant, and often rude individuals but are never reprimanded. Need to do better, CSIG! In terms of benefits, health care could be better. The deductibles are high with HSA's, but HSA contributions don't even cover half of the deductible for an individual plan. Also the 401K match is a joke, it's like $250 total. Not much room for substantial lateral growth unless you're buddy-buddy with someone high up. Most people move between depts versus up the latter where they're at. CEO Dan is.... interesting. Comes across as a wishy washy wealthy guy who refuses to use a laptop to oversee his company.... 10/10 will put his feet up on a conference room table while conversing with a group. Unprofessional.

Continue reading
      6 people found this review helpful

Brand Marketer

Hello, We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback! As a current employee familiar with the home office, you're familiar with our Common Beliefs, specifically our Constant Pursuit of Better. We make mistakes, but we pride ourselves on always doing the right thing even when cheap, easy and popular options are available. As an Employee-First company, every employee has an opportunity to spend time with their leader each month. These one-on-one meetings aim to help the employee get better and, as a result, help us get better. Although a more productive way to voice your concerns would be through these meetings, we appreciate that you reached out here to help us improve. We love that you enjoy the growth opportunities, a friendly environment and work-life balance, as those are all things we strive to provide to each employee. We agree that we are a growing company, and we are fortunate to have been able to promote from within. Currently, almost all of our leadership team at our home office started their careers working at our communities. Each employee plays an active role in how we do business, and our leadership team exists to facilitate that. In addition to our one-on-one coaching, we have an entire team dedicated to leadership training because we know how essential it is to each individual’s growth. To discuss your experience further, please reach out to Pam Hayes at (810) 220-2655.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Common Sail - Great Opportunity!

Sep 10, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Common Sail is not your standard business and I couldn't be more thankful to work for such a great organization. If you are dedicated and a hard worker, then this is the place for you. Being an employee at CommonSail has challenged me, provided me with growth and has given me the tools to excel in my career. I honestly look forward to coming to work every day ( this is the first organization that I can say this about!) and that is saying something! Leaders are dedicated to the employees. They are genuine people and care for the well-being and growth of their employees. I cannot tell you how refreshing that is to see in a business setting. Last but not least, we have an amazing culture and work life balance. My recommendation to anyone reading this review is to take a leap and see what we are all about.

Cons

I do not have any cons to provide. When I have an issue, I bring it to the attention of my Manager and we work together to find a solutions.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 96 Reviews