Common Sense Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
James Steyer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great organization but CEO is a narcissist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Common Sense Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful mission and incredibly bright people doing great things for kids and their familes

Cons

The CEO is likely to derail you at any moment based on his needs. Doesn't understand the digital space. Uses platform for his own desire for attention and fame. Organization as a result lives in fear of him and is under unnecessary stress most of the time. Not to mention, he's just not a nice guy. (But he thinks he is).

Advice to Management

Move Jim to a Board role and take him off of any day to day decisions and find a new face/voice for the organization that doesn't drain the staff.

""Trump-ish" CEO destroys the joy of working here"

Pros

Good mission. Good people. Decent benefits. Some degree of interesting work.

Cons

CEO is best described as cut from the same cloth as Trump. Completely clueless, demeaning, frenetic, and treats people terribly. Oddly treats interns and certain people with white gloves while actively cutting other people down including co-founders and c-suite leaders.

Advice to Management

The organization could be so much more successful if Jim were moved to a different role. Is he truly worth what he likely costs the organization?

"Great work culture and mission... but beware of mission creep"

I have been working at Common Sense Media full-time

Pros

Great work environment that values a work-life balance.
    Incredible mission that drives a majority of the workforce.

Cons

Beware of mission creep.
    Limited opportunity for growth within the company.

Advice to Management

Focus, focus, and focus some more on accomplishing the immediate goals.

"If they like you, they like you..otherwise, don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Common Sense Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on your team, you will either be set up for success or set up to fail. Is a nonprofit but runs like any other company in corporate America.

Cons

Everyone here acts like they're entitled, you can be extremely hardworking but it does not necessarily translate to the hard work and effort being acknowledged. The team I was on was chaotic, horrible, disorganized, and had processes that seemed like it was stuck in the 70's or 80's.

Advice to Management

Contrary to what most of the beliefs are, I think the C-suite leadership is great. They're extremely brilliant and I lookup to them. It's just the managerial-level people that need training. The team I was on was based off of brown-nosing which sets everything up for failure.

"Do yourself a favor and don't work here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The organization attracts amazing people
    Resources are plentiful
    Networks are substantial
    Many different areas to work in
    Editorial and engineering are powerhouses

Cons

The worst executive leadership
    Poor communication
    Poor management
    Poor transparency
    No accountability at the top
    Unrealistic expectations around growing teams and reaching goals

Advice to Management

The organization is going through constant, significant changes, yet executive leadership is disorganized and out of touch and runs things likes it's a business. You can be paid more and treated better at other places. A sexist, old school culture, mixed with enormous egos, makes working here miserable.

6. "Manager"

I have been working at Common Sense Media full-time

Pros

Flexibility, great work/life balance, important mission, super smart colleagues, fast-paced.

Cons

Easy to feel stagnant, minimal opportunity to grow, HUGE / ENORMOUS pay gap between execs and the mid-level employees. Poor cross-org project management. Extremely high turnover. There is also verbal abuse happening in some of the departments.

Advice to Management

More consistently promote lower/mid level employees so we feel like we have a viable career path. The turnover is insanely high, which indicates a real issue - this has been verbally acknowledged but not addressed in any meaningful way.

7. "Great mission"

Pros

This organization's mission is at the cusp of many interesting issues in education, policy, and advocacy for kids. The staff are smart and dedicated individuals.

Cons

The leadership doesn't always work together as collaboratively as they could.

Advice to Management

Be transparent about your strategic decisions.

"Not perfect, but pretty good"

Pros

- I work with truly lovely, smart people - the employees here are dedicated to their work and it shows.
    - Relaxed culture
    - Work/life balance is great - you actually see people take time off! Plus, lots of paid holidays, including a week between Christmas and New Years.
    - Pretty good benefits, even compared to for-profit companies.
    - We're not entirely grant funded, which makes me feel more secure about working at a nonprofit.

Cons

- For a tech company, we're pretty low-tech. There are a lot of manual processes that could be solved by a online solution. I think we're getting there, but the change has been slow.
    - CEO is smart, but is largely out of touch with reality and what goes on day-to-day within the org. A lot of the c-suite's time is making sure the CEO doesn't do anything unwise. Don't work with him closely, and for that I am grateful.
    - Not terribly diverse, though we do have a high proportion of women in the office and in our leadership staff.
    - Salary could be higher, but what else is new?
    - Opportunities for growth exist, but are not clearly defined. Some teams seem to handle this better than others.

Advice to Management

Keep the CEO in check. Make sure you're recognizing the entire company, not just the money-making teams. Don't play favorites - it only kills morale for everyone else in the company.

"Respected, innovative - and great culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Common Sense Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The (growing!) team is comprised of incredibly committed, brilliant, passionate people – from the top, down. The org is focused, remains true to its core mission, yet is open to an evolving world with expanding needs for kids, and is consistently willing to grow and adjust to remain relevant, valuable and useful for all its users and members.

Every day, I am impressed by the talent and quality of the people who work here, by the innovation culture, and how both people and culture are of central importance to the leadership. The work is challenging and fun; I learn something new every day. Really.

I am proud to work at an organization that provides such important services and resources for families and educators nationwide to help kids navigate our 24/7 media and tech world successfully, and to make kids our nation’s top priority.

This is a rockin’ non-profit, growing fast, with a bright future. Hands down, best job ever.

Cons

Parking can be a challenge; but there are lots of options for public transportation, and biking. It’s SF after all.

10. "Passionate and fun people with a worthy mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Common Sense Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Fun, caring, and smart people
    - Positive work environment
    - New office set up with ergonomic desks, chairs, and monitors
    - Room for growth and challenging work

Cons

The company is also growing quickly and that means making organizational adjustments that aren't always easy but the vision is in the right place.