Commonwealth Bank of Australia Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Commonwealth Bank of Australia CEO & Managing Director Ian Narev
Ian Narev

Pros
  • Fantastic culture and a consistent focus on People and Work/Life Balance (in 75 reviews)

• Flexible working arrangements are common (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Red Tape can reduce the level of immediate impact (in 34 reviews)

• large organisation can feel like there are obstacles when there needn't be (in 29 reviews)

"Not an enjoyable place to work (IT Operations)"

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, awesome co-workers. Nice offices.

Cons

Management doesn't really know or care about keeping employees happy (thereby improving productivity). And endless stream of ladder climbing area managers and barely effective and overworked middle management means that the group is restructured regularly.

(This relates only to the IT Operations group - possibly the rest of the bank is not as bad).

I have to stress again, a great working relationship with your fellow colleagues is very much a strong point point of the position.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees! Many of them are attracted to the job because of big paychecks. But even after becoming disillusioned - for many that is the only reason they choose to stay. Given a little care, your employees could be superstars instead of clock-punchers.

2. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time

Pros

work life balance is good

Cons

lack of growth or promotion

3. "None...., never worked here left the bank it was rubbiah... All lazy a hole"

Former Intern - NONE in Ingham, VA
    Former Intern - NONE in Ingham, VA

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia as an intern (More than 10 years)

Pros

Agzuch udbdbddj hxhddjfjc none none noen none none none none none

Cons

What can I say I hate u lazy baateda grow up and lower your fees

5. "Below Average"

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent people, nice office and social.

Cons

Management is in Sydney. Anyone that can make things happen sits half way around the world. As a result they have a distorted view of what it really takes to succeed in the U.S.

Advice to Management

Make a real investment in the U.S. Get rid of the dead weight and straighten out your compensation structure.

6. "Okay"

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time

Pros

Can Grow with the company

Cons

Too corporate and slow to change

"Forewarned is forearmed"

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time

Pros

* Facilities and salary within market expectations
    * Overall, staff are friendly
    * Good conditions

Cons

* Culture requires much attention and improvement
    * Good and bad pockets influence employee experience
    * Workload levels

Advice to Management

* Authentic innovation requires quality staff, resources and time
    * Ongoing drive for continuous improvement and increased efficencies is difficult to sustain long term if Managers are not genuinely seeking or receptive to feedback and suggestions.
    * Better understanding and alignment between employee values and their role to reduce staff disengagement

"Disingenuous organisation"

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good people trying to do the best they can.

Cons

Senior management largely concerned with protecting and promoting their own positions in the organisation. Promote values that are not remotely honoured in practice in day to day dealings.

Advice to Management

Put people above profit

9. "customer service representative"

Pros

good training and future development

Cons

Work environment is really depending on the management. No super for extra hours. Been asked to work when applying sick leave. I have been suffered discrimination and bullying.

Feb 23, 2017 – Employer Branding Specialist

Thanks for your post. We appreciate you taking the time to provide this feedback and we take these matters seriously. Contacting HR Direct would enable us to follow up this matter internally. You can ... More

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Middle management and frontline are supportive of one another and recognise the challenges they face. They work well together even without the support or guidance you'd hope to receive from Executive Managers and above.

Pay was good and in line with the market rate.

Cons

Executive Managers and GM's should lead from the front. They talk a lot about having a 'speak up' culture but when particular issues are brought to their attention (like staff taking substances at a recent event) and those staff are still employed, but the person who raised the concern was asked to leave, the perception amongst the remaining team is that they (senior management) were just trying to sweep the issue under the rug. This goes against all the focus they place on making sure their direct channels staff are 'happy'

It's really unfair, unreasonable and unjust. Basically if you do speak up you need to expect that management will find a reason to force you out of the business and you'll have no choice, no recourse and no right of reply - it's underhanded bullying.

I'm not a bitter ex employee, I'm well educated and have great respect for Ian and his Group Executives, I just think that leaders themselves are not held accountable for how their people feel. They should sincerely care about their teams and the cultural and ethnic diversity of their people, not just tick HR boxes like robots and partake in 'diversity and inclusion' programs because it looks good on their CV.

Advice to Management

Just like we were told to be 'curious' and question the 'status quo' I think the EGMs should get more involved in their business.

It's one thing to tell people to do something but then to reprimand them when they do is absurd.

Jan 31, 2017 – Employer Branding Specialist

Thanks for your post. We appreciate you taking the time to provide this feedback and we take these matters seriously. Raising this issue through HR Direct would enable us to follow up this matter ... More

"Overall horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Credit Card Specialist
    Former Employee - Credit Card Specialist

Pros

Some benefits of the job are okay, corporate environment and there are opportunities for advancement as long as you are okay with hardly any pay rise

Cons

Abusive customers, completely unrealistic targets, no understanding or compassion from management, pay is shocking considering the demands and knowledge you are required to have, add a whole new requirement to your job (went from general service to general service and credit cards) no pay rise whatsoever and the "benefits" are mostly okay, why should an employee bank elsewhere because the rates are non-competitive even being staff. The culture is toxic

Advice to Management

Stop trying to brainwash staff with the emphasis around values, staff get it already you do not need to treat them like children 5 days a week, have some understanding that people have a life outside of work there is absolutely NO work-life balance.

Jan 31, 2017 – Employer Branding Specialist