Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation Reviews
80% would recommend to a friend
(367 total reviews)
Dr. Larry Marshall
78% approve of CEO
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "great people to work with and really meaningful work" (in 52 reviews)
- "Good work life balance and flexibility as well" (in 27 reviews)
- "Friendly colleagues" (in 18 reviews)
- "Great working environment and research focus type code of conduct" (in 13 reviews)
- "Great culture and so inclusive" (in 13 reviews)
- "2. Low salaries" (in 17 reviews)
- "Red tape and antiquated management" (in 12 reviews)
- "Pay is better in private sector" (in 8 reviews)
- "Average to poor middle and senior management sees advancement of less capable personnel." (in 6 reviews)
- "Large middle management base and office politics in management level, business unit had been kept changing, doesn't really find a way to balance Not" (in 6 reviews)
Found 367 of over 535 reviews
Updated Dec 4, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 4.0Aug 3, 2021ManagementFormer Employee, more than 3 years
They were good and they were good and that’s jt
Nothing they were extremely good. Nothing should change because it shouldbt
- 4.0Mar 30, 2014Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee
They offer great work flexibility in terms of hours, part time work, job sharing, types of leave etc, and work/life balance and self improvement through internal courses. This is all dependent on your seniors, however. If you have a supportive manager then you will find it a great place to work in terms of work/life balance and promotion.
Too much change in terms of structure, reporting line, management and project/portfolios and flagships. This uncertainty impacts on morale and makes it hard to achieve or focus on ever-changing goals and priorities.1
- 4.0Sep 6, 2016Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee
CSIRO is capable of multidisciplinary research at scale, more so than university organisations, though that may change in the future.
There is a portion (not dominant but also not negligible) of staff who have peaked in their careers who are no longer engaged in research as actively as they are engaged in bemoaning change in CSIROs processes and structure.
- 4.0Sep 13, 2016Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee
Truly multidisciplinary research, at scale, and at the cutting edge. Very flexible in terms of leave and leave without pay etc, but bizarrely picky about working from home.
There is an amazingly efficient rumour mill at CSIRO. If only communication from senior levels down could work as well.
- 4.0Sep 20, 2019Project ManagerFormer Employee, more than 5 yearsLucas Heights, MD
Great for providing junior employees with the opportunity to prove themselves and take on additional responsibilities Really great colleagues Great place to learn from some absolute technical experts
Additional responsibility not formally recognised after a sustained period (year and a half) Pay a little low
- 5.0Oct 18, 2020Research AssociateFormer EmployeeSan Mateo, CA
Highly inclusive and encouraging environment Challenging and stimulating projects Perfect opportunity to grow in a professional setting
Limited scheduling options with colleagues in AUS due to time zone differences.
- 4.0Mar 11, 2016Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee
Working with many talented scientists, and good support from immediate managers.
Lack of job security due to funding cuts.
- 3.0Feb 18, 2020Postdoctoral Research FellowCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsMelbourne, FL
Good Work/Life balance, interesting combination of research(strategic) and contract-based projects
Insecure, lots of politics. Difficult to hire people
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation Reviews FAQs
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 535 reviews left anonymously by employees. 80% of employees would recommend working at Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation to a friend and 75% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.
80% of Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation 4.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.