Commonwealth of Massachusetts Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Charlie Baker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No room for growth, favoritism, political" (in 9 reviews)

• "Salaries aren't necessarily as high as the private sector" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Executive Office of Health and Human Services"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator III in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator III in Boston, MA

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Unlimited opportunity to learn and grow. They have a great a union benefit package and many job opportunities.

Cons

Managers with no supervisor experience who were untrained and had negative attitudes

Advice to Management

Managers need to develop training programs, see employees potential and set a positive outlook which then resonates to all employees at all levels.

2. "Job service Rep"

Current Employee - Job Service Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Job Service Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Customer Service / Spanish Portuguese English

Cons

Grateful for my full time job but i need part time job to gain knowledge in the field of mental health

Advice to Management

none

3. "not a bad place"

Pros

it used to be benefits

Cons

the draw to state employment used to be the benefits, the past 5 years they have worked on negotiating them down.

4. "Thankfully Retired"

Former Employee - Social Worker in Hyannis, MA
    Former Employee - Social Worker in Hyannis, MA

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good retirement if you can last that long.

Cons

Terrible management in office where I worked. Had their favorites and people they did not like were forced out. No support by superiors. Expected to work after hours without being paid. Social workers are underpaid as it is. Many have to take their work home to meet expectations.

Advice to Management

Wise up. People from higher up in Boston need to look into mismanagement and favoritism at this office.

5. "Program Coordinator I"

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time

Pros

Great benefits, retirement plan, opportunity for growth

Cons

Wish there were more people on my team

6. "Job Security"

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time

Pros

Great pension and hours are stable

Cons

Very slow moving with hiring as well as promotions.

7. "Coordinator"

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time

Pros

Make an honest effort to include all employees when trainings or activities arise

Cons

Limited room for growth reserved for senior employees

8. "More people should do it"

Pros

Mission-driven, good people, hard work.

Cons

Hard to put the job down

9. "What's the point?"

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Never need to work off regular hours (only 37.5 hours a week). As with any work place, if you have a good immediate manager, you'll have a better experience. I really liked my immediate boss and worked well with him.

Cons

"What's the point?" is a favorite saying between myself and my coworker, meaning "what's the point in working here?"

Do you know how a lot of companies around Boston attract a lot of workers because they have good management, flex time, free coffee and snacks, and great benefits? The Commonwealth has none of that. The flex time policy is a joke. It took me months to get approved for a work from home day once a week, and even then, I am not ever allowed to switch the day because of "policies". Senior management in my agency works from home whenever they want. And forget updated technology - my phone on my desk is 30 years old, and I'm only allowed 2 gigs of ram on my computer.

Management also continues to give themselves big pay raises - we're talking 10k to 20k a year - while non-management employees are just stuck to the COL increase each year. Performance management is a joke; you can screw up as much as you want in my office - you can even STEAL something - and you just get a warning. You can also do a really good job and just get treated like everyone else.

Upward mobility is also laughable - senior management just hires their friends from other agencies into other senior management jobs, or people they know personally from outside the Commonwealth.

They will not pay you adequately for your skills. Someone with two master's degrees will only be offered $77,000, and even then, that amount will be scoffed at my management.

Management in my agency is seemingly eager to blame "small potatoes" for issues that arise to declare themselves free of any blame.

Many people who work in my building - which houses multiple agencies - look like they are ready to keel over at any minute. Many are very old and shuffle around with their mouths open. It's pretty disturbing.

There are many, many reasons why you should not work for the Commonwealth.
    1. Outdated technology. And you will get met with a lot of resistance if you ask for something made in this century.
    2. No benefits besides just your standard sick and vacation time, and even then, they aren't very good
    3. Management will hire their friends and find a way to blame you for issues that arise
    4. Everyone is extremely old and afraid of change - this is not a fun, young, happening workplace
    5. The inexpensive health insurance coverage sucks
    6. They will pay you under market rate for your skills

There are companies around Boston that will help pay for your transit, childcare, lunches, love efficiency, and give you the flexibility that you need to work from home, all without the BS and lack of transparency here. What's the point?

Advice to Management

I don't see how they could possibly change

10. "Near 40 year nightmare"

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits were good, holidays vacation sick and personal time.

Cons

Big time nepotism and reverse discrimination. I could write a book on their mistreatment. Oh you get earned time but if you're not a favorite, they forbid you to take it. They don't even care when the job makes you seriously I'll.

Advice to Management

Try acting like a human being with compassion and understanding. Oh yeah, promote from within, especially someone with decades of experience!!!!!!