Community Access Unlimited Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2021

3.5
Community Access Unlimited Executive Director Bernadette Griswold (no image)
Bernadette Griswold
Pros
  • "CAU possesses an attractive health benefits package which after 3 years of employment coverage is at no cost to the employee(in 8 reviews)

• "After 3 years Full-time you get free health insurance(in 4 reviews)

• Cons
  • "CAU is the best company to work for(in 5 reviews)

• "low pay(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

wonderful

Jun 19, 2020 - Clerk in Elizabeth, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

its ok but we are ok and not getting better

Cons

love to work and make money and help people out

Marketing & Fundraising Coordinator

Thank you for leaving a review. We hope you continue to take advantage of the career opportunities CAU has to offer and encourage you to share any suggestions for improvement with management.

2. 1.0

Terrible Place

Mar 3, 2021 - Assistant Support Counselor
      Business Outlook

Pros

-You can build positive relationships with members -The health insurance is nice

Cons

-High turnover -Understaffed -Irregular schedule -Poor management -Missing and unreliable paperwork -Low pay -Directors play favorites and have inconsistent rules. Staff reporting infractions accurately and regularly are more likely to be seen as a problem than the MAJOR infractions themselves. -Appointments not scheduled, or scheduled last minute by one staff with no communication to the staff assigned. -Med books/med count a mess -Log out book for members ignored/inaccurate I've seen the responses saying that there is an open door policy to report things and that is — kindly put — a new policy since I left, if it exists at all. The attitude of management while I was there was to sweep things under the rug and punish honest diligent staff for making them look bad by keeping accurate records. Saying no to fudging paperwork put you on the outs. Some houses ran more smoothly than others, but there was a "what happens here stays here" mentality that does not align with standards of record keeping or care. The members do not deserve to be in such a poor environment. It does a disservice to the field. I could go on, but we'd be here all week.

Marketing & Fundraising Coordinator

We are sorry to hear you had a negative experience. CAU residential programs are held to the highest standards and remain in compliance to be licensed by DDD and DCF. CARF, an independent, not-for-profit accrediting body, has awarded our residential and day programs with consecutive three-year accreditations since 2006. A three-year CARF accreditation is bestowed upon programs that demonstrate exceptional design and operation to benefit those served. We rely on accurate record-keeping from staff for the wellbeing and safety of members. All staff receive regular trainings to ensure they are equipped to perform their job duties and care for members. We encourage employees to address questions or concerns about their work with their supervisor or HR representative. Employees can also express their concerns anonymously to HR with our suggestion box, and we will do our best to address any issues.

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great manger but company isn’t supportive

Apr 20, 2021 - Support Counselor in Elizabeth, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

I had a great manager who was supportive and nice

Cons

The company doesn’t value its employees and favors DD employees over TOP

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Experience working in CAU

Mar 1, 2021 - Assistant Director in Elizabeth, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with the participants bring joy to our daily life

Cons

The high turnover rate number

Marketing & Fundraising Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your experience. While a number of our positions start at entry level, CAU offers trainings and development opportunities for those staff who want this field to become a career.

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

A decent start for experience purposes

Mar 4, 2021 - Behaviorist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits package (except it’s ridiculous you have to be vested after more than a year to sign up for 401k contributions) Staff are friendly and usually helpful

Cons

Being thrown into working outside business hours which was not mentioned before hiring. Caseloads can be high due to turnover and not having enough capable full time staff

Marketing & Fundraising Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. Positions at CAU working with people with disabilities and youth at risk often require some schedule flexibility, and we convey this to staff upon hire. Our residential programs are 24-,7 we do not follow regular business hours. All staff go through training and are given a detailed employee handbook which includes information about ensuring programs have needed coverage. Staff are invited to ask questions so they understand what is expected upon hire.

6. 4.0

their ok

Dec 21, 2020 - Direct Support Professional (DSP) in Plainfield, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

It is not hard work It teaches life skills - patience, understanding, listening, deeper questioning. Useful trainings

Cons

Not everyone do the work The rules appear to apply to some but not all

Marketing & Fundraising Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback and for being a part of the CAU team. We encourage you to share specific concerns you may have with your supervisor or HR representative.

7. 4.0

Looking for info

Oct 6, 2020 - ISC in North Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

they are very nice and friendly

Cons

more info is needed to answer

Marketing & Fundraising Coordinator

Thank you for leaving a review. To contact CAU for more information, please give us a call at 908-354-3040 or email us at info@caunj.org.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great benefits but oppressive work environment

Nov 22, 2020 - Assistant Executive Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cadillac style fringe benefits, Good pay.

Cons

Oppressive work environment. Hight turnover rate.

1 person found this review helpful

Marketing & Fundraising Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We understand that employees have a rewarding but sometimes challenging job supporting people with disabilities and youth at-risk. We strive to work as a strong team and encourage staff to discuss issues with their supervisor or HR representative if needed. Best of luck to you, and thank you for sharing your time with us.

9. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

This is not a job to keep long term. Look elsewhere. Use as a fall back plan.

Oct 20, 2020 - Direct Support Professional
      Business Outlook

Pros

Consistent Schedule Benefits Always Overtime Available Lots of Training

Cons

High Turnover Rate Low Pay Horrible Work Conditions-(Depending on what Program your places in)

1 person found this review helpful

Marketing & Fundraising Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. CAU recently increased our salaries for DSPs and continued to provide Hero Pay without interruption. We offer generous benefits for full-time employees including a free medical and dental plan, tuition reimbursement and loans. Our turnover is in line with other social service agencies in our field and we are always looking to improve! We would like to understand what other issues you may be having and encourage you to speak with your supervisor or HR representative.

10. 3.0

Pros and Cons for Community Access Unlimited

Oct 12, 2020 - Communications in Union, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours based on shift chosen

Cons

Relieve needed to leave shift

Marketing & Fundraising Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. CAU continues to grow and offer new career opportunities, so we encourage you to see what positions are available at caunj.org.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 77 Reviews