Community Coffee Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 27, 2017

2.0
Matt Saurage

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits; average to above average pay (in 4 reviews)

• Great benefits, good pay, good people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very unfair upper management, as they have a favorites and are very closed to change (in 3 reviews)

• They will lie about your performance even when you make salesman of the month several times and even route of the year (in 3 reviews)

"Management"

I worked at Community Coffee full-time

Pros

Excellent product and loyal employees.

Cons

Constant change to justify the lack of capacity within the senior management team. Overall lack of long term strategic vision. Business objectives change frequently and management by fear is acceptable. This has lead to infighting within the organization and unhealthy work environment where employees are not motivated.

"Be Wary"

Pros

decent store manager, flexible hours, was able to reach small promotion within months, ability to create relationships with guests

Cons

when CC's split from Community, company culture turned somewhat aggressive - management would claim to seek feedback on major changes, but any concerns were met with warnings about not "spreading negativity"- a culture of fear and suspicion developed; upper management was unwilling to keep any store properly staffed to deal with rushes and implement drastic changes in service

Advice to Management

make a greater effort to treat diverse employees fairly; create a culture of trust in which employees can provide feedback without being punished; at least 1-2 more employees per store is ideal

"Low pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Community Coffee (More than 3 years)

Pros

Matching ira, coffee has good following.

Cons

Shows favorites. Fires really quick

Advice to Management

Get rid of Cajun mafia managers. Bring in from outside new blood.

"Account executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

Pros

My boss was great. There for most of your needs. Potential to make good money.

Cons

There is no market awareness. Expect every rep to bring in same amount of new business every year regardless of how well that market is.

Advice to Management

Change compensation plan. Do not have everyone selling in company.

"College Survival"

Former Employee - Lead Barista (2010) in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Lead Barista (2010) in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Community Coffee (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best manager on the planet JSB, some of my greatest friends all met on the job, free caffeine, tips, consistent hours, easy promotions

Cons

We were a pirate ship lost at sea. We had to swab the decks with rags for no one would buy us a mop. Our espresso machine leaked til we could no longer steam milk.The fruit flies gathered in crevasses of organic debris, tiny flying cannons battling the crew members. Scurvy lurked in the cabins for our tips were meager, students ignoring the labor of their imported and handcrafted lattes. Scrubbing dishes, scalding hands, electrical fires, and hauling whales of trash to the poops deck, it is a wonder our crew made it safely through the Community Coffee sea.

"It is who you know"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Community Coffee full-time

Pros

Free coffee
    Fair market value pay

Cons

Do not fall prey to the well know company name. As many other reviewers said, Home Office and its management have problems. Your level of success in Home Office is directly related to your department. Some folks are promoted in a choice department in less than a year and given big manager titles, but be sure that you are hired in that one department, otherwise, you have no career opportunities. Home Office is a very stuffy atmosphere with tension and unhappy co-workers. Requires a lot of game playing to be recognized. Do not let their "values" fool you because they are not about their people. Hard to contribute to your job because you are always told what to do and your opinions does NOT matter. Oh, and the stupid rules from no snacks at your desk to no open toe sandals in the summer adds to more control. The managers go to a week long trip to the beach each year on the guise of team building while the folks doing the day to day jobs sit at the office with no recognition. They are losing too many good employees and recruiting out of town folks because the workforce in Baton Rouge knows about their bad work reputation.

Advice to Management

Do not put together a "value" system when it is not being lived. Employees do matter. Take a look at your senior managers. Some are there for their selfish gain. I love and grew up on the coffee, but have lost respect for the company.

"Opportunity is preached but not practiced, especially in the Plant."

I have been working at Community Coffee full-time

Pros

I can't think of any and do not recommend as an employer of choice.

Cons

Below average wages(Plant), their mantra is just words on paper and the Plant operates inefficiently, at best.

Advice to Management

Engage employees in business decisions and empower the workforce.

"A company in mist of change"

I worked at Community Coffee full-time

Pros

Family owned, strong product brand in core market.

Cons

Unreasonable sales goals. Upper management plays favoritism. Work life balance is often preached but never practiced.

Advice to Management

Being the first company core value is the employee, I suggest senior management and H.R. starts looking into practices of it's leaders at the branch level and above. GM's managing by intimidation is business as usual. Loyalty to tenured employees is disappearing. Promotion from within has no balance against hiring Mgmt from the outside. Do not let a once great family owned company become just another "what have you done for me lately" growing company. It's already happening. Do something about it.

"Sales Dept."

Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Community Coffee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Location Team, Good Benefits, Company Car, Great Brand, Quality Product,

Cons

With every promotion I took a pay cut.
    Huge disconnect between facilities and Home Office.
    Lots of Volunteer hours with zero payback or acknowledgement
    Favoritism from GM's all the way to VP (Fraternization)

Advice to Management

Watch what happens at night at Share the Passion and the "clicks" that get together.
    Professionalism goes out the window when it comes to GM's and VP.
    Fraternization

"Enjoyed the work immensely; enjoyed the coworkers as well. Upper management and opportunities were the pits."

Former Employee - Lead Barista in Prairieville, LA
    Former Employee - Lead Barista in Prairieville, LA

I worked at Community Coffee part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun job; flexible work shift; great opportunity to learn excellent customer service.

Cons

Minimal opportunity for advancement; negative attitude from home office; no appreciation of staff at coffee shop level.