Community Development Institute Head Start Reviews | Glassdoor

Community Development Institute Head Start Reviews

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Nice and friendly colleagues and average-to-low pay"

Pros

Other employees are nice, friendly, and working towards a common good cause (nutrition and health education for children from low-income families). Work is fairly straight forward. Up-to-date office technology. Great management staff (no micro managers :))

Cons

Pay rate is average-to-low. Generally, work is not extremely challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! CDI Head Start is a great place to work. Consider offering more competitive pay as funding allows.

2. "A very interesting learning experience. I am very pleased that this company has hired me."

Former Employee - Teacher in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Teacher in Detroit, MI

I worked at Community Development Institute Head Start full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salaried wages. Comfortable work environment. Lots of people who really advocate for children!!! I also am very pleased that this company provided several training's which allowed me to expand on my teaching methods. This company allowed me to be creative with our classroom children and helped me to make learning fun for our preschoolers. I must admit I had a wonderful time teaching.

Cons

Working with this many woman can be messy. Administration sometimes lacked information their employers were seeking. Also some questions would go completely unanswered. I felt that consequences to some actions during our agency wide meetings were too relaxed.

Advice to Management

Please consider paid maternity leave. More personal days within a school year. Also reconsider pay raises.

3. "Preschool Teacher"

Former Employee - Assistant Preschool Teacher in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Preschool Teacher in Denver, CO

I worked at Community Development Institute Head Start full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

JobTrainnings & Positive Transitional staff

Cons

Extented daily hours & Executive staff are always in transition

4. "Family Advocate"

Pros

It gave you and opportunities to provide adequate services to the community in which you served.

Cons

That is only an intern agency and they always stay around until a new grant takes over that program.

5. "Center Director"

Former Employee - Center Superior in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Center Superior in Midland, TX

Pros

Respectful of time for Exempt employees.
    Strength base.
    Aides in furthing your education.
    Provides training

Cons

Too strict of a policy on termination of staff who may be a liability to the safety of children.
    Empty promises from interim support staff.
    Inconsistencies of treatment.

6. "It's what you make of it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Community Development Institute Head Start (More than a year)

Pros

It's not super challenging and there's a decent level of flexibility if you have other obligations. Overall, it was an alright experience.

Cons

While you don't come into this line of work for the money, it was still below average. Which means it's a struggle! While management tends to be nice, many I feel lack experience and nearly all lack leadership skills. Many decisions could not be justified when asked, which made working here difficult at times. (which then lead to a compliant, but very apathetic worker).

Advice to Management

Make the right decisions and be fair. And then stick with your decisions. Often, there's just too much favoritism going around.