Community Health Plan of Washington Reviews | Glassdoor

Community Health Plan of Washington Reviews

Updated Aug 21, 2019

Found 76 reviews

2.4
Community Health Plan of Washington CEO Leanne Berge (no image)
Leanne Berge
Pros
  • "CHPW is a wonderful place to work(in 11 reviews)

• "Free Orca card, free coffee and tea, nice co-workers(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "The customer experience dept makes the rest of chpw look bad(in 11 reviews)

• "Moreover, They under pay their customer service agents(in 9 reviews)

"What an incredible organization to work for!"

Current Employee - Remote Worker in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time for less than a year

Pros

What isn't there to love? Benefits are excellent (3.5 week of PTO, 40 hours of community service to volunteer at a non profit, transportation assistance including unlimited monthly ORCA card, 401K match with no vesting schedule, most positions have flexible working hours and some can be remote from home), our office in DT Seattle is modern and beautiful (our 6th floor employee lounge has expresso machines, a view of... the water, small grocery store and even vegan microwaves) and my colleagues in my dept. and in other areas of the company are the kindest, most down to earth people to work with. Feels like I work with family. Everyone is supportive, respectful and we're all here for the same reason (as our Mission) - that's to give back to the community and help the under served population. I feel so good knowing my work impacts others and is more than just about myself or making a company money. We are the only not for profit healthcare insurance company in Washington State so this makes us unique in itself. Very rewarding organization that takes care of its employees, values hard work, encourages work/life balance (some badges can't even come into the office after 6 or 7pm because they want you home with your family) and are advocates for growth from within the company. Also appreciate that we have a female CEO - they are rare nowadays and she's awesome.

Cons

Honestly, there are no cons at CHPW.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Community Health Plan of Washington2017-09-15

"Great mission, but too much second guessing"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President, Business & Product Development in Seattle, WA

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great mission and passionate people at the plan and network

Cons

Poor communication on expectations and the small number of people that handle most of the fire-drills. Second guessing from leadership and lack of clear strategy mean the company will always struggle.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on communication of expectations.

Community Health Plan of Washington2019-07-29

"Not Recommended"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility of work schedule and ability to work remotely. Partial reimbursement ($115) for monthly parking expenses. 40 hours / year of community service if you have the time to use it.

Cons

Where to begin.....Management does not want input from employees, we are encouraged to just hold the path and not deviate or try anything innovative. HR is the worst I've ever encountered -- I've met with them AND a senior VP more than once to discuss my grossly incompetent boss and have been told it's me and not them. A peer had the same experience. Very top heavy with Directors and VP's who are "promoted"... regularly with no real job changes.

Advice to Management

You need to do exit interviews to understand why so many employees are leaving.

Community Health Plan of Washington2019-08-21
  4. "Career Killer"

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington

Pros

Nice co-workers, free ORCA card, free coffee and tea

Cons

The location is on 3rd Ave surrounded by the drug / homeless infestation. It’s not entirely safe at any given time of day. Leadership and management are disconnected from their employees. A lot of very questionable actions and behavior that is being ignored by HR. The turnover rate is off the charts. It’s too small of an organization to have their employees quitting left and right and heading for greener pastures. A... lot of managers are cut throat and in it for themselves. If you’re not careful it could ruin your career to work at CHPW. Never have I seen any place like it (and I mean it in a bad way).

Advice to Management

Nothing ever changed for the better while I was employed there. You need to walk the talk and get that morale level up. You have members to serve and you can’t compete with other similar health plans with a skeletal crew of unhappy employees. They’re already leaving you in the dust.

Community Health Plan of Washington2019-08-12

"Concerning culture, inefficient practices"

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

location, commitment to organization mission,

Cons

poor HR management, unprofessional behavior by management

Community Health Plan of Washington2019-06-21

"Because Zero Stars Is Not An Option"

Current Employee - Nurse in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time for more than a year

Pros

ORCA, 401k, PTO, really nice office, remote opportunities available, overtime galore, many genuine hard-working co-workers make it a better place

Cons

Negative work environment. Favoritism big time! Retention is a big issue. Culture promotes throwing each other under the bus and zero support from the supervisor. In fact, it is required to report errors so they can keep track and will swear "is not punitive" which is a flat lie. They bring all that up during your reviews. No learning curve here!! Better keep up with the constant changes and back-stabbing... managers with amnesia. Tell you one thing, then write you up for doing it that way. Don't be fooled by their sweet up front demeaner. Here, it's all about kissing butt and no work life balance. It's ALL about production. PTO and sick time are all in the same tiny bucket. Weekends and holiday rotation is required. Small bonus. Might be able to make a car payment with it if you own a Prius.

Advice to Management

Supervisors and managers on (baby) power trips should not lead. Directors should at least understand the basics of the job he is directing. Stale, old management styles simply don't work. Drain the swamp!

Community Health Plan of Washington2019-07-09

"Company does great works; managers not so much"

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time for more than a year

Pros

You're helping the community access affordable health care and working with people who (mostly) care about this vital need.

Cons

Overpaid execs often out of touch with the day-to-day work.

Community Health Plan of Washington2019-05-10

"Great, if you like going back to high School Mentality"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

M-F job Holidays off

Cons

The customer experience dept makes the rest of chpw look bad. If you look at the other reviews from outside deparments, one can plainly see that common denominator. The upper management lacks basic people skills, the supervisors for the most part follow suit with the dept head. Micro manage, unrealistic expectations. Moreover, They under pay their customer service agents. For the amount of work you do and are... expected to do, CHPW Customer Experience Dept under pays and under appreciate their employees. The leadership plays favorites, simple as that. Its a mind numbing and depressing job to be in the company itself. The company has a great mission, if only the customer experience dept would make mark and shine. Instead the are number cruncher's. The leadership expects respect and dignity with members , which one should agreed. If only they would translate that into how the customer service dept treats their employees.

Advice to Management

Learn people skills you greatly lack basic people skills

Community Health Plan of Washington2019-02-01

"Great mission, but not a great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CHPW has a great mission to serve an under-served community, and its commitment to diversity and inclusion is admirable.

Cons

The company has long-standing systemic problems that are pointed out by employees every couple of years when they have to fill out a job satisfaction survey, but very little action is taken to address the issues that are raised, so the survey results never change. The problems are never fixed. People complained about lack of communication and siloing among departments for all four of the years I worked there, but... absolutely nothing was done to fix it. Also, the annual raises for employees didn't match our insurance premium increases for three of the four years I was there. I'm not sure how a company can claim they're competitive with pay when their employees' take-home pay actually goes down year after year. That sounds like an exaggeration, but my supervisor actually pointed this out in a team meeting once. She was talking about "good news" for the company, suggesting we should be happy with the direction things were going in, and she actually said, "Our insurance premiums aren't going up by much this year, so we get to keep our merit increases!" as if that's something worth celebrating. The only way to get a real, tangible pay increase is to get a promotion, and those opportunities were incredibly rare for the specialized team I worked on. Not having the ability for upward mobility, I gotta tell ya - it's a real drag. As a result, morale in my department was extremely low the entire time I was there. Also, most of management is very cold and unfriendly. Aside from Abie and Gabriel - those two are great. Most of the rest wouldn't even say "hello" when passing by in the hallway, which is extremely rude and awkward. And that goes all the way up to the top - the CEO and other members of ELT would give me the cold shoulder every time I said hi or good morning.

Advice to Management

Make pay more equitable across the company so that people who aren't in management can still afford to live in the city where they work. Most people on my team had to commute in from out of town every morning because they couldn't afford Seattle rent. I know that's probably an impossible task, so instead maybe just say hello to your employees at the coffee machines in the morning and try to be pleasant. Is that... doable?

Community Health Plan of Washington2019-01-17

"Appeals and Grievance Coordinator"

Current Employee - Appeals Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My supervisor is great and my director is fantastic. We are always kept in the loop about what is going on as much as possible. If I could I would give my support team 4.5 stars . Would only recommend to people if they are first starting out in the workforce to get experience.

Cons

The pay wage and benefits. The lack of understanding from the upper management in regards to cost of living. We are given a raise in September only to have it taken back in January due to the cost being increased on our benefits which is shown to us as a "benefit". This "benefit" costs me a lot of money. The raises are also not determined by the manager but by a group of people on the executive team that do not... talk to you or know what your job actually does. So a person not completely doing their job gets the same raise as a person going above and beyond. It's also the same standard rate no matter what...3%. There are years when you do not get a bonus or a raise being a non-profit organization. Also there is no growth opportunity in the department. When asked to have a tiered position (Level I, Level II, Senior, etc.) it was denied.

Advice to Management

You need to care for the hourly workers. You are pricing is out of a job to the point we are using credit cards or working 2nd jobs to afford to work at a company we believe in the core values. There needs to be a connection back to the hourly workers. There are surveys done every 18 months yet each time something very important is mentioned such as money and cost of benefits, it is ignored. Be more relatable to... the workers. The hourly workers are just as important to the company as the salary.

Community Health Plan of Washington2018-08-18