Community Health Plan of Washington Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.8
Leanne Berge

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (this may depend on the team you are on) (in 6 reviews)

• Good benefits and downtown location (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • company slow to respond to customer service need in ref (in 7 reviews)

• The short time I was there we had extreme high turnover and upper management still believed that we were below the turnover average for Seattle (in 6 reviews)

1. "We're on our way"

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time

Pros

CHPW is redesigning fully integrated managed care from the ground up. We have an amazing partnership with our community health centers that we will build on to serve the medical and behavioral health needs of Washington's Apple Health members. Lots of work but it is rewarding.

Cons

Moving through change and evolving requires some remodeling of the organization and that is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep making the hard choices that will help us achieve our potential.

2. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Administrator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Administrator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most employees really care about the mission, so the work is about more than just the bottom line. Coworkers are for the most part absolutely great. The CEO is also really smart, cares about the mission of the company, and really understands the value of providing great care to Medicaid and Medicare beneficiaries so there's excellent leadership from the top. Also lost of women in positions of power.

Cons

Some members of upper and middle management can be hard to communicate with. There has been a lot of turnover in certain departments and from my observations, it's all about the management of those departments being difficult to work with. There's only so much managing up one can do before it's exhausting.

Advice to Management

Be clear about your goals and expectations. Certain managers (not a plurality, but enough to be frustrating) tend to "forget" conversations and decisions. It's very difficult to run a project when the goal posts keep moving.

"Proud to be a part of CHPW!"

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CHPW has a brand new CEO who is taking this company to the next level! She is dedicated to the populations we serve and to employees who work at CHPW. Worklife balance is good. Benefits are awesome, and affordable even for a family!

Cons

A lot of change right now, however it will be worth it in the end!

Advice to Management

Managers need to focus on their teams if they want to keep them. Recognize people for great work!

"manager"

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time

Pros

Mission driven organization with passionate people who want to improve care for people in need.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

"Better than a few companies I've worked for"

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission; I like my boss and my team; Benefits are on par with what I've received from other companies I've worked for.

Cons

High turnover, but there were some people that needed to go. There are still a few bad managers at this company.

Advice to Management

Get rid of bad managers/directors/vps. Stop being cheap with salaries. I know the company is a not for profit, but you have to pay people a living wage and I don't care what HR says, wages are NOT competitive.

"Disorganized bad management zero communication or coordination."

Current Employee - Community OUtreach Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Community OUtreach Specialist in Seattle, WA

Pros

It pays and it may be an opportunity to establish yourself and jump ship under the right manager. They will likely leave before you can really get settled and you will report directly to a vp and it will be hell

Cons

See above. You will be putting out fires and have the fundamental nature of your work changed suddenly. Everyone is unhappy and stressed because orders are given and then changed and changed again.

Advice to Management

I honestly don't know how to help or have any advice.
    At the very least understand what each team member of your team is supposed to do and how to leverage them individually

"Positive reviews count!"

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

Pros

Those of us who love working here want our voices heard too -THAT's why there have been positive reviews lately. The vast majority here love working hard to fight for health care, working for a not for profit, love our coworkers. We don't always agree, but we all support each other and it's a rare work environment.

Cons

There have been pockets of the org with challenges - where is that not true? But I've seen all of them being actively addressed and those of us who star are truly excited about where we're going.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees! Keep communicating and setting a vision for us.

"Fulfilling, Exciting, Innovative, and Mission Focused company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

I love being a part of a managed care organization that is non-profit and centered around caring for the most vulnerable populations across Washington state. The people who work here actually care for members and contribute many volunteer hours in service to others. The team is diverse, nimble and everyone's ideas count.

Cons

We are growing and need more talented, dedicated team members to take our company to the next level of excellence.

"Great Company with Motivated People"

Pros

CHPW is a small, agile company, always looking for creative ways to grow and better serve our members. The opportunity for personal growth within the company is great - internal promotions and movement happen often and are encouraged. Employees believe in the company mission, and there is a friendly demeanor within the company. I would highly recommend working at CHPW!

Cons

Being a not-for-profit, salaries are sometimes not as competitive in the Seattle market, but benefits and work life balance make up for this.

"Mission driven, people focused"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

I come into work every day excited to do good work with a great group of folks. In short: I love my team! As a plan based solely in Washington State, the company is indeed mission driven and in a unique position to really understand the communities they serve. CHPW takes its mission seriously and gives its employees 40 hours every year to use for community service. In fact, employee benefits are better than many companies in the Seattle area, including a good employer matching 401k and free Orca card.

Cons

As the company, has gotten bigger roles need to be more clearly defined. Turnover has been a bit high, but it’s been a great opportunity to re-evaluate positions, address deficiencies and build stronger teams. With a new CEO at the helm, CHPW is moving in a positive direction.