Community Health Plan of Washington Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Leanne Berge
1 Rating

Pros
  • Mission-driven; dedicated people; community-oriented; changing; supportive; strong focus on work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Good benefits and balanced work/life (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • company slow to respond to customer service need in ref (in 7 reviews)

• The short time I was there we had extreme high turnover and upper management still believed that we were below the turnover average for Seattle (in 6 reviews)

"I would never recommend this company to anyone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, including a company paid Orca Card for the bus

Cons

Judging from all the 5-star reviews in February, it looks like the marketing department must have been running a campaign to get employees to rate them higher. This was a wonderful company to work for when I first started, but over the last 3 years of my time there, it went down hill fast. Management is very cliquish, and I saw wonderful member-focused managers who cared about the mission and the company fired, while others who were less qualified were promoted to management positions. In one year's time, I reported to three different managers, one right after another. The final manager I had showed little interest in his direct reports or what their work involved, and would schedule meetings regular meetings with his team only to consistently cancel at the last minute. His management style was aggressive and belittling, and he showed no interest in problem-solving.

Many employees have quit without notice due to what they felt was a toxic work environment. They had co-workers conspiring against them, managers who weren't giving them work to do, while others were so over-worked that they worked off the clock regularly just to catch up.

Employees are also generally under-paid, which is to be expected to a certain extent when working for a not-for-profit. However, when you have a large number of employees who qualify for public assistance, that says a lot about your company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, communicate with them, work with them on problem-solving and streamlining, rather than putting them on corrective plans when you've overloaded them with unreasonable expectations, and pay them a living wage.

"Lack of organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Orca card, ok health insurance, good 401k, flexible hours, work from home options, my close team, parking reimbursement if you choose to forgo the orca card

Cons

Lack of any type of organization, communication, documentation or processes! Basically came into the job with no one having a clue of how I was suppose to do my job since no one lasted in the position long enough to document anything. The short time I was there we had extreme high turnover and upper management still believed that we were below the turnover average for Seattle. I really don't see how! Vacation time was pitiful with no sick time offered. Human Resources plans so many classes, training and seminars that you didn't have time to do your actual job. Funny how they all of a sudden have all of these high ratings within one week. It's probably Human Resources giving rewards for ratings on here and staff is too scared to write what they truly feel!

Advice to Management

Quit focusing on what looks good on paper and actually listen to your employees before they all up and leave you.

"Do not get into Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Orca card
    -Company Values
    -Other departments besides Customer Service

Cons

-The Customer Service Dept
    -So what if you have lots of classes, programs, and fun activities if one department rarely ever gets to participate (Customer Service Department) in any because they are forced to stay on the phones
    -The training is a joke. They just throw you on the phones and leave you to answer them and help providers and members without any real feedback as to how you are doing and if you get stumped you have to call another person and act as a really ineffective string between two soup cans (the person who has worked there longer and knows how to find the answers and the person who needs help) going back and forth between the two to get information or give it. It's insanely inefficient.
    -They make sick people come to work and get people who aren't sick, sick and we just end up passing it around to each other for months

Advice to Management

If you would take the time to properly train your employees it would be nice. Real training for health care information services is about 2 months. At least. Let your customer service people participate in activities they are invited to participate in. Get rid of the middleman customer service and give proper tools that are actually effective and easy to maneuver. Pay your Customer Service people more. It's Seattle, everything is getting expensive.

"Disappointed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Orca card, met some very nice people, hard to meet the 20 word minimum here. So, I'm just filling this out so I can submit my review.

Cons

Very expensive PPO plan. I did not want to use CHPW for my family's care. Very dramatic resistance to any kind of change at all levels. Very disengaged and unsupportive leadership. Very outdated In a very progressive Seattle. HR frowns upon working from home and casual Friday's. People at all levels are quitting at a pace I'd never seen before. The company only has 300 + employees and consistently has 30+ job openings at all times. I was micromanaged and treated like a child instead of a professional.

In a nutshell, it is the worst place I've ever worked and the shortest I've ever stayed at a company. Seattle is booming and I don't recommend wasting your time here when you have plenty of fantastic companies to choose from.

Advice to Management

They didn't take my advice when I was there so why would I bother to give any now. Your future looks pretty bleak at the rate your imploding.

"searching monster.com"

Current Employee - Ops Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Ops Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time

Pros

I was really excited when I started here because I felt comfortable with my team and enjoyed my responsiblities, and I really liked learning more about healthcare. Free orca card. New location is nice(r).

Cons

Everyone quits. The turnover here is ridiculous and I know at least a dozen employees who are actively looking elsewhere and there have been the same number of people from my division who have quit since i started. Really hard to meet those HEDIS goals when all the managers and supervisors quit. Threre might be some good improvement since a lot of our internal leadership is turning over, hope its for the best. I'm looking for jobs outside the company and will leave as soon as I can. It's hard to move up within the company or transfer to other less dysfunctional teams.

Advice to Management

find good leaders who are skilled at managing staff adn meeting goals, harder than it sounds because a lot of the managers are not "people-person"s

"Scary"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Free Orca Card location

Cons

Executive management does not know what is happening in the company. HR is a laugh - they don't care about the employees, they say they are going to fix things, they don't. No one listens to suggestions. They have one director in an area I was sitting near to that was horrible. The way she disrespected her employees was horrible. Numerous complaints were made, nothing was ever done. From what I have seen, almost all her employees have left, but she does not think she is the problem. If she only knew what everyone thought of her, but was afraid to say.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees actually performing the work. Discipline managers/directors who mistreat their employees, don't let them get away with it. More people with excellent skills will leave. Ensure HR is helping employees, not just blowing smoke.

"I Dread Each Day"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management excels at crushing the spirits of talented employees, often leading them to quit.

Managers have a great sense of humor when it comes to how miserable their employees are, often time laughing about it.

HR does a superb job at ensuring a managers ability to steamroll and mentally abuse their employees.

The company has a great vision that gets plastered on the walls. It's a great decoration but otherwise empty.

Benefits are pretty good, as long as they don't find a loophole to restrict your access to them.

Cons

Management and Leadership are only looking out for themselves. They don't care about employees or members in the least.

Never have I worked on a team that has as many managers, and as little management. The Marketing Team, specifically, consists of eight team members and two managers (that's two managers for every four employees) and yet neither manager has the ability to strategize or plan out projects. Instead they just keep throwing things at their team members demanding that they are done as soon as possible with little to no concern for work loads, priorities, or deadlines. The fact that everything is done last minute and rushed isn't an example of poor employees, but poor management. Yet somehow it's the team members who are put on "performance Improvement Plans" and treated like children who are incapable of doing anything.

This is the most emotionally depressing job I have ever had the joy of waking up to each day.

Advice to Management

Learn what it means to be a manager. You exist to support your team and make sure that they succeed, the result is that you too will look better when your team is happy and creating good work. "Subordinates" don't exist so that you can avoid muddying your shoes by walking all over them.

Spend less time planning was to make other departments and your team members look bad, and spend more time focused on learning how to successfully manage. This includes understanding the work, understanding tasks your employees currently have on their plate, how long these tasks take and also being aware of larger projects looming, or ones that may come up.

You spend less time coordinating with leadership and HR on how you can reprimand your employees for non-issues, and more time planning projects out so that your employees have ample time to complete tasks and actually succeed in their role.

"A formerly good company gone bad."

Former Contractor - Senior Reports Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Senior Reports Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Initially, I had good responsibility, and was valued.

Cons

Too much deadweight among long-term employees, who lack education and cannot do basic arithmetic. Business Analysts giving speeches that mean nothing except their own self-importance. I was bear-hugged by a long-term deadweight....later she pressed her breast up against the side of my neck. I reported it, and was immediately terminated. Stay away from this place.

Advice to Management

Get rid of deadweight. If you truly want to use Scrum methodologies, then actually do it, and not just play at it.

"One star is generous"

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time

Pros

Good benefits and downtown location.

Cons

Bad management that causes a lot of employees to be unhappy. Turnover is very high because of the very poor management. Management lacks people skills.

Advice to Management

Hire managers with people skills who aren't bullies. A little warmth and encouragement toward staff would go a long way.

"Worst Company Experience Ever. Period."

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time

Pros

The benefits at CHPW are amazing. Low health care costs and free ORCA cards.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. Terrible out of touch management. Horrible HR department. Poor work life balance. They have lots of openings and there is a reason for this...because it is absolutely dreadful to work here. So many people at this company are miserable. At CHPW, employees are treated like junior high school students and the worst are rewarded. It's awful. Avoid at all costs. Wal-Mart probably treats their employees better.

Advice to Management

Where to begin. This place needs a massive management overhaul.