Community Health Plan of Washington Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Leanne Berge

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (this may depend on the team you are on) (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits, the most talented and educated staff I have ever worked with in my healthcare career (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • a review from this platform made it's way into a daily "huddle" of the customer service department (in 8 reviews)

• The short time I was there we had extreme high turnover and upper management still believed that we were below the turnover average for Seattle (in 6 reviews)

1. "A good company but with blind side to Customer Service and the importance of their role"

Current Employee - Administrator in Seattle, WA

Pros

Decent market fair salary - reasonable HR Dept and policies - committed colleagues who give a damn about their work

Cons

The tuition of $5000 now has strings attached fine if you dont mind making a committment to two years after study ends.
    New CEO Lance Hunsinger - not really a downside more of an unknown quantity.
    Customer Service is still a second stringer to the rest of the company - a great need there for change to compensation and recognition.

Advice to Management

Do something quickly to improve the incentive and motivation of the customer service representatives. Work on retention of performing staff who need a better incentive program. The quarterly staff/management offsite no longer exists - This organisation needs to plan for offsite events to compensate for this.

"Great Mission, Great People"

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time

Pros

Work-live balance is great with flexible hours, significant PTO, and community service benefit (40 hours per year). Opportunity to drive your own career (no national office that oversees or mandidates everything you do). Colleagues who enjoy each other as professionals and friends. Great downtown location.

Cons

Not having a national office means there are no mandidates or corporate policies. As a result, CHPW must invent the wheel itself. If you need more structure or don't like challenge, you won't enjoy working here.

Advice to Management

Communicate challenges, solicite feedback and input regarding challenges, recognize hard work, and celebrate success.

"CSR Dept"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great on going training, very supportive Senior CSRs and Supervisors. Kudos for Devon!!
    Great team to work with. I love Non profit agencies that stick to their Mission.
    A very recommended Agency to work with. Great benefits and salaries.

Cons

New Supervisors that do not know how to manage their Job, get rid of Key elements that are important to success of the Operations.

Advice to Management

Evaluate the new Supervisor's performance (give them time to show their strong ans week trends), then, allow them to make personnel changes.

"Great Company with Motivated People"

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CHPW is a small, agile company, always looking for creative ways to grow and better serve our members. The opportunity for personal growth within the company is great - internal promotions and movement happen often and are encouraged. Employees believe in the company mission, and there is a friendly demeanor within the company. I would highly recommend working at CHPW!

Cons

Being a not-for-profit, salaries are sometimes not as competitive in the Seattle market, but benefits and work life balance make up for this.

"The company that gives back"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CHPW is a wonderful place to work. The people that work at CHPW truly cares about our community and the members we serve. We are the only not for profit managed care organization in the state of Washington. All proceeds go back to the Washington State Community Health Centers. The employees also receive an annual bonus based on the companies performance.

Cons

I cannot think of any down points to working at CHPW. I love my job!

"Fulfilling, Exciting, Innovative, and Mission Focused company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love being a part of a managed care organization that is non-profit and centered around caring for the most vulnerable populations across Washington state. The people who work here actually care for members and contribute many volunteer hours in service to others. The team is diverse, nimble and everyone's ideas count.

Cons

We are growing and need more talented, dedicated team members to take our company to the next level of excellence.

"Mission driven, people focused"

Current Employee - Manager

Pros

I come into work every day excited to do good work with a great group of folks. In short: I love my team! As a plan based solely in Washington State, the company is indeed mission driven and in a unique position to really understand the communities they serve. CHPW takes its mission seriously and gives its employees 40 hours every year to use for community service. In fact, employee benefits are better than many companies in the Seattle area, including a good employer matching 401k and free Orca card.

Cons

As the company, has gotten bigger roles need to be more clearly defined. Turnover has been a bit high, but it’s been a great opportunity to re-evaluate positions, address deficiencies and build stronger teams. With a new CEO at the helm, CHPW is moving in a positive direction.

"manager"

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time

Pros

Mission driven organization with passionate people who want to improve care for people in need.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

9. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Administrator in Seattle, WA

Pros

Most employees really care about the mission, so the work is about more than just the bottom line. Coworkers are for the most part absolutely great. The CEO is also really smart, cares about the mission of the company, and really understands the value of providing great care to Medicaid and Medicare beneficiaries so there's excellent leadership from the top. Also lost of women in positions of power.

Cons

Some members of upper and middle management can be hard to communicate with. There has been a lot of turnover in certain departments and from my observations, it's all about the management of those departments being difficult to work with. There's only so much managing up one can do before it's exhausting.

Advice to Management

Be clear about your goals and expectations. Certain managers (not a plurality, but enough to be frustrating) tend to "forget" conversations and decisions. It's very difficult to run a project when the goal posts keep moving.

10. "What an incredible organization to work for!"

Current Employee - Remote Worker in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Remote Worker in Seattle, WA

Pros

What isn't there to love? Benefits are excellent (3.5 week of PTO, 40 hours of community service to volunteer at a non profit, transportation assistance including unlimited monthly ORCA card, 401K match with no vesting schedule, most positions have flexible working hours and some can be remote from home), our office in DT Seattle is modern and beautiful (our 6th floor employee lounge has expresso machines, a view of the water, small grocery store and even vegan microwaves) and my colleagues in my dept. and in other areas of the company are the kindest, most down to earth people to work with. Feels like I work with family. Everyone is supportive, respectful and we're all here for the same reason (as our Mission) - that's to give back to the community and help the under served population. I feel so good knowing my work impacts others and is more than just about myself or making a company money. We are the only not for profit healthcare insurance company in Washington State so this makes us unique in itself. Very rewarding organization that takes care of its employees, values hard work, encourages work/life balance (some badges can't even come into the office after 6 or 7pm because they want you home with your family) and are advocates for growth from within the company. Also appreciate that we have a female CEO - they are rare nowadays and she's awesome.

Cons

Honestly, there are no cons at CHPW.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!