Community Health Plan of Washington Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Leanne Berge

Pros
  • Mission-driven; dedicated people; community-oriented; changing; supportive; strong focus on work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Good benefits and balanced work/life (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • company slow to respond to customer service need in ref (in 7 reviews)

• The short time I was there we had extreme high turnover and upper management still believed that we were below the turnover average for Seattle (in 6 reviews)

1. "A good company but with blind side to Customer Service and the importance of their role"

Current Employee - Administrator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Administrator in Seattle, WA

Pros

Decent market fair salary - reasonable HR Dept and policies - committed colleagues who give a damn about their work

Cons

The tuition of $5000 now has strings attached fine if you dont mind making a committment to two years after study ends.
    New CEO Lance Hunsinger - not really a downside more of an unknown quantity.
    Customer Service is still a second stringer to the rest of the company - a great need there for change to compensation and recognition.

Advice to Management

Do something quickly to improve the incentive and motivation of the customer service representatives. Work on retention of performing staff who need a better incentive program. The quarterly staff/management offsite no longer exists - This organisation needs to plan for offsite events to compensate for this.

"Great Mission, Great People"

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time

Pros

Work-live balance is great with flexible hours, significant PTO, and community service benefit (40 hours per year). Opportunity to drive your own career (no national office that oversees or mandidates everything you do). Colleagues who enjoy each other as professionals and friends. Great downtown location.

Cons

Not having a national office means there are no mandidates or corporate policies. As a result, CHPW must invent the wheel itself. If you need more structure or don't like challenge, you won't enjoy working here.

Advice to Management

Communicate challenges, solicite feedback and input regarding challenges, recognize hard work, and celebrate success.

"CSR Dept"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great on going training, very supportive Senior CSRs and Supervisors. Kudos for Devon!!
    Great team to work with. I love Non profit agencies that stick to their Mission.
    A very recommended Agency to work with. Great benefits and salaries.

Cons

New Supervisors that do not know how to manage their Job, get rid of Key elements that are important to success of the Operations.

Advice to Management

Evaluate the new Supervisor's performance (give them time to show their strong ans week trends), then, allow them to make personnel changes.

"Great Company with Motivated People"

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CHPW is a small, agile company, always looking for creative ways to grow and better serve our members. The opportunity for personal growth within the company is great - internal promotions and movement happen often and are encouraged. Employees believe in the company mission, and there is a friendly demeanor within the company. I would highly recommend working at CHPW!

Cons

Being a not-for-profit, salaries are sometimes not as competitive in the Seattle market, but benefits and work life balance make up for this.

"The company that gives back"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CHPW is a wonderful place to work. The people that work at CHPW truly cares about our community and the members we serve. We are the only not for profit managed care organization in the state of Washington. All proceeds go back to the Washington State Community Health Centers. The employees also receive an annual bonus based on the companies performance.

Cons

I cannot think of any down points to working at CHPW. I love my job!

"Fulfilling, Exciting, Innovative, and Mission Focused company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love being a part of a managed care organization that is non-profit and centered around caring for the most vulnerable populations across Washington state. The people who work here actually care for members and contribute many volunteer hours in service to others. The team is diverse, nimble and everyone's ideas count.

Cons

We are growing and need more talented, dedicated team members to take our company to the next level of excellence.

"Mission driven, people focused"

Current Employee - Manager

Pros

I come into work every day excited to do good work with a great group of folks. In short: I love my team! As a plan based solely in Washington State, the company is indeed mission driven and in a unique position to really understand the communities they serve. CHPW takes its mission seriously and gives its employees 40 hours every year to use for community service. In fact, employee benefits are better than many companies in the Seattle area, including a good employer matching 401k and free Orca card.

Cons

As the company, has gotten bigger roles need to be more clearly defined. Turnover has been a bit high, but it’s been a great opportunity to re-evaluate positions, address deficiencies and build stronger teams. With a new CEO at the helm, CHPW is moving in a positive direction.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Medical Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Medical Director in Seattle, WA

Pros

CHPW is a wonderful organization full of bright, enthusiastic, creative people who are working hard to improve healthcare for patients and providers.

Cons

There are no cons that I have noticed.

10. "good employer"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time

Pros

flexible time off, transportation benefit, good people to work with.

Cons

company slow to respond to customer service need in ref. to computer issues.

Advice to Management

address computer issues in a "real time" timeframe.

"A lovely little fixer upper"

Former Employee - PROVIDER Services in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - PROVIDER Services in Seattle, WA

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People here are truly passionate about the mission and values of the company. They never forget that they're bringing healthcare to underserved communities, and they feel the responsibility to take care of their members. They're open to new ideas about better ways to do things, even from someone new or low level. They encourage you in learning and growth opportunities.

Cons

They've had high turn over across the company for a long time, so nothing is very consistent long term. There is still clean up happening from people setting up a system 7 years and leaving, and that system has been abandoned and forgotten for 3 years. If you don't mind doing a little research and getting your hands dirty, this means there's great opportunity to keep busy and problem solve. It can also be extremely frustrating though, and add some extra steps to any project as you sift through old files in an attempt to get the information you need.

Also, upper management is largely out of touch with what is actually going on at the lower levels.

Advice to Management

Listen to the staffing needs from low and mid level employees. They're not unmotivated. Many are doing the jobs of multiple people.