Community Health Plan of Washington Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Leanne Berge

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (this may depend on the team you are on) (in 6 reviews)

• Good benefits and downtown location (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • company slow to respond to customer service need in ref (in 7 reviews)

• The short time I was there we had extreme high turnover and upper management still believed that we were below the turnover average for Seattle (in 6 reviews)

1. "We're on our way"

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time

Pros

CHPW is redesigning fully integrated managed care from the ground up. We have an amazing partnership with our community health centers that we will build on to serve the medical and behavioral health needs of Washington's Apple Health members. Lots of work but it is rewarding.

Cons

Moving through change and evolving requires some remodeling of the organization and that is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep making the hard choices that will help us achieve our potential.

2. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Administrator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Administrator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most employees really care about the mission, so the work is about more than just the bottom line. Coworkers are for the most part absolutely great. The CEO is also really smart, cares about the mission of the company, and really understands the value of providing great care to Medicaid and Medicare beneficiaries so there's excellent leadership from the top. Also lost of women in positions of power.

Cons

Some members of upper and middle management can be hard to communicate with. There has been a lot of turnover in certain departments and from my observations, it's all about the management of those departments being difficult to work with. There's only so much managing up one can do before it's exhausting.

Advice to Management

Be clear about your goals and expectations. Certain managers (not a plurality, but enough to be frustrating) tend to "forget" conversations and decisions. It's very difficult to run a project when the goal posts keep moving.

"Proud to be a part of CHPW!"

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CHPW has a brand new CEO who is taking this company to the next level! She is dedicated to the populations we serve and to employees who work at CHPW. Worklife balance is good. Benefits are awesome, and affordable even for a family!

Cons

A lot of change right now, however it will be worth it in the end!

Advice to Management

Managers need to focus on their teams if they want to keep them. Recognize people for great work!

"Toxic work environment"

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time

Pros

-There are some incredibly passionate and dedicated healthcare professionals that are an absolute pleasure to work with.
    -High opportunity for growth if you are in a department that needs help
    -Decent benefits, particularly 401k (6% matched, no vestment period)

Cons

-HR heavily underpays regular staff under the guise of "we're a not-for-profit" while the executives make $250k+. Ridiculous.
    -Unnecessarily reactive to problems due to lack of proper business documentation and incredibly high turnover. Very, very few employees stay more than 1-2 years.
    -Shady HR practices also include several fake 5 star reviews on this site. Really? No cons at all? At least pretend it's a real review.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't listen to criticism despite having insanely high turnover, so there's not much an anonymous review can do to change that.

"Better than a few companies I've worked for"

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission; I like my boss and my team; Benefits are on par with what I've received from other companies I've worked for.

Cons

High turnover, but there were some people that needed to go. There are still a few bad managers at this company.

Advice to Management

Get rid of bad managers/directors/vps. Stop being cheap with salaries. I know the company is a not for profit, but you have to pay people a living wage and I don't care what HR says, wages are NOT competitive.

"If CHPW was a dessert, it would be an apple TURNOVER"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Really great mission on paper. Some good managers but not great leaders overall.

Cons

If CHPW was a dessert, it would be an apple TURNOVER. It's a revolving door of people who deep down don't want to be there--at least for long. It's hard to stay motivated when you know your boss and your boss's boss are both looking for jobs elsewhere. It's hard to keep the morale up when you have to keep training new people, then watching them people leave almost as soon as they as they an. CHPW does have a fair amount of good and qualified people there, however there isn't much incentive for them to say and it's really easy to poach these good employees and have them employed elsewhere; CHPW doesn't do a lot to focus on employee retention. Infrastructure constantly changes and while the environment can be positive at times, it lacks a core stability in personnel and vision. All my friends/colleagues there moved on, and eventually I did too. If you're thinking of leaving, the grass IS greener on the other side. Pretty telling when half of HR quits last year right? And Med Mgmt, what's going on there? The vague 5 star reviews on here are written by managers or directors to try to override the plummeting star rating here. It's like trying to offset 1 star food with 5 star service on Yelp, sure you always refilled my water and asked if you could get me anything, but your steak tasted like a moldy shoe and I got Hep C from the fork.

Advice to Management

Clear house. Burn it down, then build it back up. Review the values and mission. Rebrand the company. Take pride and ownership in your work. BE patient-centered rather than just saying it.

"manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time

Pros

Mission driven organization with passionate people who want to improve care for people in need.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

"Disorganized bad management zero communication or coordination."

Current Employee - Community OUtreach Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Community OUtreach Specialist in Seattle, WA

Pros

It pays and it may be an opportunity to establish yourself and jump ship under the right manager. They will likely leave before you can really get settled and you will report directly to a vp and it will be hell

Cons

See above. You will be putting out fires and have the fundamental nature of your work changed suddenly. Everyone is unhappy and stressed because orders are given and then changed and changed again.

Advice to Management

I honestly don't know how to help or have any advice.
    At the very least understand what each team member of your team is supposed to do and how to leverage them individually

"I would never recommend this company to anyone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, including a company paid Orca Card for the bus

Cons

Judging from all the 5-star reviews in February, it looks like the marketing department must have been running a campaign to get employees to rate them higher. This was a wonderful company to work for when I first started, but over the last 3 years of my time there, it went down hill fast. Management is very cliquish, and I saw wonderful member-focused managers who cared about the mission and the company fired, while others who were less qualified were promoted to management positions. In one year's time, I reported to three different managers, one right after another. The final manager I had showed little interest in his direct reports or what their work involved, and would schedule meetings regular meetings with his team only to consistently cancel at the last minute. His management style was aggressive and belittling, and he showed no interest in problem-solving.

Many employees have quit without notice due to what they felt was a toxic work environment. They had co-workers conspiring against them, managers who weren't giving them work to do, while others were so over-worked that they worked off the clock regularly just to catch up.

Employees are also generally under-paid, which is to be expected to a certain extent when working for a not-for-profit. However, when you have a large number of employees who qualify for public assistance, that says a lot about your company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, communicate with them, work with them on problem-solving and streamlining, rather than putting them on corrective plans when you've overloaded them with unreasonable expectations, and pay them a living wage.

"Lack of organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Orca card, ok health insurance, good 401k, flexible hours, work from home options, my close team, parking reimbursement if you choose to forgo the orca card

Cons

Lack of any type of organization, communication, documentation or processes! Basically came into the job with no one having a clue of how I was suppose to do my job since no one lasted in the position long enough to document anything. The short time I was there we had extreme high turnover and upper management still believed that we were below the turnover average for Seattle. I really don't see how! Vacation time was pitiful with no sick time offered. Human Resources plans so many classes, training and seminars that you didn't have time to do your actual job. Funny how they all of a sudden have all of these high ratings within one week. It's probably Human Resources giving rewards for ratings on here and staff is too scared to write what they truly feel!

Advice to Management

Quit focusing on what looks good on paper and actually listen to your employees before they all up and leave you.