Community Health Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Community Health Systems Chairman, President and CEO Wayne T. Smith
Wayne T. Smith

Pros
Cons
  • Work Life Balance-- if you are anything besides a call center representative (in 17 reviews)

• Lots of changes in the companies upper management have cause re-organizations and have ultimately slowed our processes down (in 29 reviews)

1. "RN"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Salem, NJ
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Salem, NJ

Pros

There are no pros in this corporation.

Cons

The worst of the worst. Stay away. A dangerous environment for nurses. It is profits over patients. The corporation is in financial crisis. They are selling 25 hospitals at, I assume, fire sale prices. Their mantra is, "Greed is good". Google the corporation; Medicare Fraud, Investor Fraud, SEC Fraud, attempted hostile takeover of Hahnamenn University. The list goes on. Patients and nurse...stay away!

Advice to Management

Crash and burn! All of your fraudulent practices are finally catching up to you. It's about time. All about the karma!

"If not an MD, you don't count. Very poor upper management."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Easton, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Easton, PA

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steady paycheck, if you are lucky enough to not get laid off.

Cons

No support. Management only cares about themselves. If not an MD, you don't count. Management lies to rank-and-file consistently. Multiple layoffs to make up for corporate upper management incompetence. This makes the rest of us work 2-3x as hard to cover, yet no raise in pay.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Stop being selfish and making stupid financial decisions. Appreciate your employees more, not just the MDs.

"Senior Accounts Payable Processor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Antioch, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Antioch, TN

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance, job security, and a stable environment.

Cons

Professional development or a lack thereof. Next to no training. Once you're hired into the department you will not be allowed to leave your position for a better one in the company unless you leave the company and come back. Top-down leadership. Misinformation or no information is provided routinely on the most simple tasks.

Advice to Management

Develop a professional development program that is beneficial to both the department and employee. Allow employees to change departments, so they can grow their careers. Train employees who really want to learn. Create more horizontal levels of leadership. Transparency.

"Ruined a great hospital"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have to have an income! Nearing retirement, have worked here my whole life. Know the patients and physicians well. A lot of staff that's been here a long still have that sense of family that made us so successful before CHS came along.

Cons

Where to start? They want to centralize everything in Nashville, which has not only cost jobs locally but has people making decisions for us that don't know this facility. The centralized computer system stays screwed up, suppliers we'd used for years and had good relationships with- gone in favor of cronies who deliver inferior service. We were successful long before they got here, and it's acknowledged that we "carry" some of the underperforming hospitals. So why come in and change everything? They've done away with some benefits, some of which may seem minor but were important to the staff. We had always gotten a Christmas bonus and ham, as well as twice-yearly free dinners where admin served staff steak and shrimp. All gone.

Advice to Management

Stop messing with success! Come see how we do things, bring your other facilities up to OUR standard. Stop micromanaging from hundreds of miles away. And PLEASE sell us ASAP!

"Beware, beware, beware of this unethical company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN

I worked at Community Health Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The air conditioner and bathrooms?

Cons

Please stay away from CHS at any cost.They're a highly unethical company. From the day I was hired, I was deceived and lied to on my offer letter, then after I resigned months later, I found out that I wasn't being paid my proper wages. This company cheats their employees and their patients. Fraudulent and unethical is the nicest way to describe CHS.

Advice to Management

As CHS is known to be a sinking ship, I advise their "leadership" to stop running that company as if it was a slave camp.

"Deaconess Hospital Spokane"

Current Employee - Technician in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Technician in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, friendly operations personnel.

Cons

Low pay, scattered expectations from a variety of management people, poor or no follow-thru on issues important to non-management employees, "C" suite employees seldom connect with the workforce even at lunch and hospital celebrations (birthdays, holidays, retirement gatherings and such). Workforce seldom feel "secure" in the jobs. HIGH turnover during those "trouble" times which happen often.

Advice to Management

Quit or get fired...I think the entire C crew should go....

"Not a good place to work; has the potential to adversely impact IT/IS career mobility!"

Current Employee - Engineer in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CSC Conveniently located in Franklin

Cons

High turnover from the top down. Leadership lacks integrity.

Advice to Management

Learn from you mistakes with regards to misspending and poor leadership/direction.

"Catalyst To Dysfunction"

Current Employee - Director Ancillary Services in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director Ancillary Services in Houston, TX

Pros

The CHS corporation provides the basis for Directors to gain some advantage by networking and purchasing. But this is driven by the individual and what they can do with these limited resources.

Cons

CHS in their style of management over the hospital brought out the worst features of corporate culture and administrators that resulted in a toxic workplace along with a migration of employees and physicians. The community of physicians have all come to understand the business model of CHS is not really about healthcare or patient outcomes. It is putting profit before patients and enforces this at each facility through the C-level folks that have been vetted for their compliance with the corporate dictates. CHS has brought out the very worst in managerial behavior in the administrators it controls. Through the salary bonuses or the threat of unemployment these hospital leaders will do whatever they are told and given free reign to use their positions of power to execute petty jealousy, or dispatch those who might know more or be more astute at running the organization. It doesn't matter the reason, the insecure leaders lash out at anyone they brand as a low performer, instigator, agitator--or the worst of all, a leader amongst the staff that instills real loyalty and teamwork. Real loyalty and staff support are things these corporate inflated egotistical administrators will never know. More importantly, those things are really not highly valued because the CHS system thinks it can buy them. Fear and power are the key words. It is sad to see the corruption of potentially good leaders take a hospital down to some factory mindset where staff become commodities and employee engagement is mandated under duress. Of course hospitals need to make money to stay in the business of healthcare--but CHS operates openly in the communities where they are located as a healthcare dollar extraction machine. Designed to get the most money it can from the community it "serves".

Advice to Management

There much to learn from your example. However, there is no use in providing advice to management as this is specifically one of the CHS cultural features--they could not accept it no matter how helpful it might be.

"Terrible Work Environment"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Franklin, TN

Pros

Located in Cool Springs - easy to run errands on your lunch break

Cons

Bad Work Environment and Low Pay. They are very demanding and there are no bonuses unless you are a manager or above. It is hard to move up and if you do they only give a 5% raise.

Advice to Management

Have team building events, support your employees and act like you care.

"Worst company in America"

Former Contractor - Instructional Design in Nashville, TN
    Former Contractor - Instructional Design in Nashville, TN

I worked at Community Health Systems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

NONE but they are willing to throw money at you. My contract not being extended

Cons

chained to your desk, high demands for output, no direction or planning, terrible management, most unhappy workforce imaginable. I was forced to get escorted to and from the restroom.