Community Health Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wayne T. Smith

1. "Good Company going through some changes"

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time

Pros

I like CHS but they are going through some changes. Good people, In house hiring first.

Cons

didn't have the best training, lots of things up in the air.

2. "RPSGT"

Pros

Good benefits, friendly staff good patient care.

Cons

Poor management, turnover rate ,poor scheduling

Advice to Management

Change management, new age time to upgrade with a EMR system

3. "Clinical Systems Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Will give experience in working on a large number of projects in a network of over 150 plus hospitals with owned and associated medical office buildings and physician practices.

Cons

Has lost corporate direction on project governance and accountability. Requesting guidance on prioritization of goals is met with uncertainty at the director level.

"This company is in serious trouble"

Current Employee - Staff Clinician in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Staff Clinician in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Coworkers are amazing people. Hospital is chronically understaffed, yet the team pulls together to give the best quality of care possible to the patients. Decent benefits.

Cons

So many poor management decisions I don't even know where to start!
    HR does not uphold company policies consistently, and undermines manager's efforts to uphold standards in their own departments. Impossible to fire anyone unless the CEO doesn't like them, then they're gone overnight! CEO at my hospital targets people openly, is very demeaning if he doesn't understand or like what you have to say. The organization as a whole cuts corners everywhere, so we don't have the tools we really need to do our jobs both well and efficiently. Forced time off during the summer, which has a lower census. Chronic understaffing, and leadership will not deal with issues directly unless there is a crisis. I know at my hospital a mass exodus of staff in multiple departments is not far off.

Advice to Management

Big changes are needed, from the top down. Quite frankly, with the company's poor performance over the last 1-2 years, I'm surprised the corporate CEO hasn't been ousted. If you don't support your current operations and provide the necessary resources (Staffing, IT, etc) to perform appropriately, then performance will continue to decline.

6. "Profit over Care"

Pros

Oh twenty words, please come to me. I can say that some of the people reporting to me were well meaning and hard working. Nothing good to say about the company though.

Cons

I worked in the billing department. They push people to work harder, always aiming for impossible numbers. People were invisible to top management. Don't expect them to say hello or even look you in the eye. The low level managers like myself tried to advocate for improvements. Management just didn't know what he was doing and HR was useless. They forced overtime, I'm talking about 60 - 70 hours a week. Salaried managers are expected to work late late hours, 9 - 11 pm. If you are on salary, no OT pay. Hiring is very slow in certain areas, especially when a salaried manager can fill in for an hourly EE. The only thing important is the pulling in the money.

Advice to Management

Poor leadership starts at the top. I don't have much hope for this company. My advice is for investors to pull their investments and get out. This company is on a slow spiral downward.

7. "Disappointed. Not enough resources to get the job done. Freeze vacation accrual and then force staff to take PTO"

Former Employee - Office Manager in Venice, FL
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Venice, FL

Pros

Benefits are ok, and most staff and providers are great to work with.

Cons

Accounting can't get things right. Supply orders get denied (pens, post it notes, basics)

Advice to Management

Stop making promises you won't keep and take care of your good employees

"Could be worse, could be better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

Good benefits, nice working conditions, good patient care

Cons

The number one complaint you will hear is that management does not consider the voice of their employees. There is also a perception that they are a very greedy organization, at the expense of their hard working employees.

Advice to Management

Please, oh please, don't lie to your employees! Try to address employee concerns without punishing them for it!

"Benefits are horrible for a hospital system."

Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

Pay is okay. Compensation is acceptable. Not many pros to discuss here. I prefer patient care over profits. I don't have 20 words to talk about the Pro's.

Cons

Lowest leave time of any hospital system. Highest health insurance premium of any other healthcare system. When profits slow down they take away from the employees or eliminate employees altogether and cause shortages. Profits before patients. Management out of touch with everyday processes.

Advice to Management

Stop giving so little as benefits .... really 3 hours every two weeks doesn't even add up to a 2 week vacation per year. You must use your vacation time first before using sick leave if you are sick. I was paying 300 a month for group health insurance for 2 people and no children. Now I pay 100 bucks with a new company for much better insurance. Why are you putting all the cost on to the employee if this is a group plan. No negotiation skills for employees only profits.

"It's alright I've had worse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Community Health Systems full-time

Pros

Good co-workers opportunity for overtime

Cons

Management out of touch with real day to day operations. Do more with less attitude. Lack of organization

Advice to Management

Focus less on the money and more on employees and patients

"Unprofessional organization"

Former Employee - Nursing Supervisor in Punta Gorda, FL
    Former Employee - Nursing Supervisor in Punta Gorda, FL

Pros

Employees who do the work are great

Cons

Management does not have the experience or knowledge to run a hospital. Runs the place with arbitrary rules and fires people without grounds. The CEO and CNO are unprofessional and base business decisions on if they like the employee not on their work or skill level. Nurses are ill prepared to take care of patients and instead of investing in their nurses they just dumb down the skill level of the hospital. The management have no clue about what needs to be done or how outdated the equipment is. The hospital is in disrepair and there is no investment in its success.

Advice to Management

Invest in the people and teach them to provide excellent care. Get management in the facility who have a clue and are in it for success. Check your facts before terminating people without cause.