Community Medical Center (Scranton) Reviews | Glassdoor

Community Medical Center (Scranton) Reviews

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Sterile Process Tech"

Former Employee - Sterile Process Tech in Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Sterile Process Tech in Scranton, PA

I worked at Community Medical Center (Scranton) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours were pretty flexible, co-workers were nice and pay was alright for the work that was being done.

Cons

No advancement opportunities and need to become certified in order to keep your position.

2. "Don't bother if you want a life outside of work"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Scranton, PA

I worked at Community Medical Center (Scranton) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was decent. Hiring process was a breeze. Can't think of anything else positive.

Cons

Never praised, treated badly by managers, too much overtime - and a lot of pressure to work extra shifts, benefits weren't that great

Advice to Management

Show your employees that you value their work. Would have loved to hear "good job" once in awhile.

3. "Still learning how to be Geisinger"

I have been working at Community Medical Center (Scranton) part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Now known as GCMC since purchased a few years ago by Geisinger Health System. A very good learning experience since it is a level 2 trauma center.

Cons

GCMC is still trying to break away from its "old" ways and embrace the Geisinger way. There have been a lot of changes in the last few years in personnel and equipment.

Advice to Management

Management needs to remember not everything has to be "by the book". There is interpretation of the rules in everything. Its is understandable that "you" are trying to make a good impression with Geisinger, but employee is not always wrong.

4. "Great for learning, very poor management and oversight (Emergency Department)"

Former Employee - Paramedic--RN
    Former Employee - Paramedic--RN

I worked at Community Medical Center (Scranton) part-time

Pros

Some excellent staff who work like sled dogs, highly dedicated to patient care and teamwork. Great learning experience for those who are motivated and self starters.

Cons

Working harder, being talented or a team player gets you no more recognition or appreciation then someone who kicks their feet up on the desk to read a magazine. Administrative management is clueless and absent.

Advice to Management

Spent 5 years there as a tech and became an RN. My seniority was reset to ZERO the day I finished nursing school. Pay and schedule given my new lack of status created problems. I got a second job and was then told that despite 8 months of training and graduation from orientation that since I had not been a nurse for more then 1 year, I would not be allowed to work part time. When given the choice between financial security for my family or CMC, the choice was simple. Any company that can't understand this is not worth working for. Hopefully now that Geisinger has taken over things have improved. I know plenty of great nurses who left CMC to work at Wyoming Valley ER and did not regret the change.

5. "I loved CMC!"

Former Employee - RN BSN
    Former Employee - RN BSN

I worked at Community Medical Center (Scranton) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, friendly place to work. Just like a family. It was more than just a job

Cons

Smaller hospital (growing much bigger now that Geisinger took over)

6. "Opportunities for advancement, continuing education, and job security no longer exist."

Current Employee - Staff Nurse
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse

Pros

The nursing staff is wonderful. They trully know a team approach and are competent and skilled.They are compassionate and professional. The staff will work together to adjust schedules to help each other .

Cons

The management does not treat staff fairly, at times degrading. The lack of professionalism in management is tremendous.Complaints to administration go unnoticed. There is a great need for staff inservices. Many departments are staffed by agency and are unknowledgable as to what the hospital has. Salaries are unfair among staff members and specialities.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff!!!! When complaints are offered, please investigate. If all the department is dissatissified, then it is not a personal grievance. When physicians are complaining, please listen! You have excellent nurses in your facility that are unrecognized due to the inability of management to properly manage. If the productitivity of a department declines, administration should be investigating what the reason is. That investigation should also include the effectiveness of the department manager.While you have some managers that should be replaced, you do have managers that the staff supports completely, those are the leaders that go above and beyond. Those leaders provide the educational opportunities for staff, and act like true professionals.