Community Medical Centers Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim A. Joslin

1. "Very refreshing to be at a company where everyone is so passionate"

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Community Medical Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall mission of the organization is clear and everyone is focused on accomplishing it.

Cons

Certain departments work in silos and it feels like the company culture is pretty fractured. Healthcare industry is somewhat uncertain with current political leadership.

2. "Just ok"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

I worked at Community Medical Centers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with some very passionate people here.

Cons

A lot of disconnect and finger pointing

3. "Many different areas to work in. Great differential for night and weekends"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Fresno, CA

Pros

Great experience on all levels of the hospital. Opportunity for growth is definitely available.

Cons

Stressful environment. The patient's here can be very sick and at times combative.

"Good and bad"

Former Employee - Clinical Systems Manager in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Systems Manager in Fresno, CA

I worked at Community Medical Centers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are awesome for the most part. Benefits and pay are so-so. Training is excellent for the most part--extraordinary--above and beyond. And for pager duty and work-outside normal hours, I have found them to be fair in paying overtime faithfully. For me, the work was satisfying--reasonably challenging and sufficiently varied--not boring for a person with a high IQ. Employees were highly mutually supportive, and team work was awesome. I cannot think of a single coworker I did not love and respect dearly as both a friend and professional coworker. And some of the management seemed to be excellent, trustworthy, of utmost integrity, and quite caring.

Cons

In my opinion, in spite of there being some excellent managers, there are many in upper and middle management, in HR, in the legal team who will retaliate, discipline, fire, attempt to silence you through attorney intimidation and even lie about you under perjury on court documents if they can get away with it, and they have shown no commitment to honor their policy against retaliation for reporting issues in ethics or patient safety. While I feel they are fair in most every other area, there have been questions about whether the Kronos system works well, though I feel most of the problems I experienced were related to my clocking in or out incorrectly. Sometimes we experienced forced vacations to meet budget expectations of the company.

All in all, I believe that some of this leadership lacks the commitment to patient safety and well-being to make this as excellent of a hospital as many of the employees want to make it. I believe they have a commitment to marketing, but anyone can blow millions of dollars on TV spots telling the world, "We are the best hospital with people with hearts to provide the best care". Sometimes I feel that among the many truly great people in the hospital, there are some who would rather push to have an old person just die off and stop being an inconvenience. I believe there are some who would rather fire someone who reports a problem than face the problem with courage and competence and commitment and integrity. I believe there are some more committed to their own egos and to winning selfishly at all costs and that there are cowards who will not stand up to those people and insist that something needs to be done for the greater good of patients and employees alike.

I have seen that Community seems to be good at blowing their own horn and glorifying itself. I have seen that Community can also do really awesome things for people. What I haven't seen is that leadership knows how to live and work with integrity, with justice, and with courage and competence to face and resolve issues. I also question it's purchasing practices when expensive equipment and software is involved. I question the bidding process whether it is truly transparent and open to multiple vendors and whether the decisions are made by disinterested individuals looking at the decisions objectively without any other ulterior motives. I question why so much political control seems to have been thrown to Epic willy-nilly and why so many millions of dollars was spent seemingly to my point of view for the privilege of being controlled so heavily by them in so many ways. It seems to me that VistA could have been obtained free of charge and that it would have given CMC a wide selection of support vendors to choose from rather than making CMC completely dependent on Epic for everything EHR related. VistA is the most widely used EHR and has been used in exceptionally large health care systems with great success. Furthermore, it would have made us more compatible with VA systems to my understanding. And part of my difficulty with Epic specifically was perhaps minor in terms of costs to the company, but I feel Epic deals with most training, testing, and certification acceptably in a practical sense. Most of the time a person can go through the process and put forth a good effort in good faith and obtain certification. But Epic had promised some if not all customers a substantial discount if they had a complete staff of certified employees, and this was great in that it encouraged people to become highly trained and skilled in their work. However, Epic did not seem to have a third party grading the exams, so in essence, it appeared that Epic could simply avoid giving out the Good Maintenance discount by capping off one person's test score, and nobody would be any wiser since nobody was allowed to verify the exam results. And yet, Epic would report to a candidate's entire line of management his failure of the exam. And what I experienced was that I passed every exam with flying colors including the most grueling two day projects designed to throw people off. And yet when I came to the last exam for certification, I supposedly failed it repeatedly falling short by about one question. After three supposed failures, I was forced to return to re-train which I did, and yet I failed falling short by about one question. I would come away feeling certain I had turned in a perfect or near perfect exam and find that I had fallen short of the 85% required by about one question. Then Epic changed the rules to limit the number of attempts to 5, and I would be banned forever from certification in this one area after putting in a couple years of training, testing, and falling short by one question repeatedly. Supposedly.

To be frank, in my opinion, I believe Epic lied. I do not believe I failed that exam at all. I believe they defamed me before my management repeatedly. And although it is possible that Epic may have given the good-maintenance discount regardless, can you imagine the political power that would give Epic over CMC management who would fear doing or saying anything that would offend Epic and cause CMC to lose a discount of a quarter million dollars every year in maintenance costs?

In short, I felt Epic gave themselves both a motive and an opportunity through a serious conflict of interest. They could either give themselves $250,000 per year by repeatedly failing one person or they could give the discount and retain control over their customers' management.

I was not accustomed to failing exams. I took first and second place in my university's math competition beating engineers, mathematicians, physics majors, and computer scientists. Years later, I studied computer science at the graduate level at Stanford University. I was accustomed to taking on very tough challenges. To me, it seemed highly pretentious and presumptuous for Epic training staff to suggest I should have failed this last exam repeatedly falling short by one question. And it seemed ludicrous for anyone to believe it.

Now if I understand right, my manager told me that only 1% of candidates fail their exam and this one was on par with the rest. Why, then did I pass the rest but fail only this one? Why did I fall short by the same amount repeatedly? Why did Epic change the rules and refuse to honor the original rules at that time? They have since changed that stand back to the original rule allowing a person to continue training and attempting the exam? And if Epic felt it was important not to let anyone see the results of their exam to learn or to verify that failure was indeed real, why did they decide not to put the testing process into the hands of a disinterested party? Why did they decide to have the tests scored by the same company that offered the $250,000 discount when it gave them the opportunity and motive to cheat candidates out of their certification? All in all, I worked hard in good faith for my certification as many people did, and I never stopped believing that I earned that certification. I will not accept that this exam was administered fairly or honestly. Furthermore, I was concerned because the stress of being defamed before management could drive hundreds of candidates to depression and suicide, and it could prove harmful to hundreds of hospital systems as they pursued certification in good faith only to be denied as a ruse to keep the discount money or retain power to intimidate customer's employees and management.

Now, having been fired for the first time in my life just short of turning 59 years old, I noticed that someone else had been fired after reporting a heart surgeon who allegedly left a patient on the operating table to go to his car and take care of personal banking matters if I am not mistaken. And I understand there have been other situations of possible illicit firings and that the unemployment office may have several records of questionable firings--that is, it may be a common practice at CMC.

For that reason, it may be a good idea for employees who are doubtful of the security or advancement opportunities or of their standing politically at CMC to act pro-actively and begin seeking better employment elsewhere and head off any possible problems in the future, even if they have an excellent manager simply because upper management still has power to bring problems down from on-high.

Advice to Management

Never, ever, under any circumstances retaliate against anyone for communicating concerns in any way. And where this even *might* have happened, hunt down every possible victim and show your commitment to everyone by making sure you have made *full* restitution for every loss they suffered so that employees and patients have reason to trust the hospital. That would be a wiser and more honorable investment than spending millions on advertising and leaving a train of people who are sickened and comment negatively to everyone every time they see an ad on TV whether at their homes or in restaurants or medical offices or other hospitals. There is nothing more asinine or infantile than a group of cowards in management who retaliate illicitly, even lying on court documents to silence someone who was angered over being mistreated so unjustly. You need to SHOW patients and employees that you intend to face issues with appreciation for having had them reported and that you *INTEND* to do the right thing rather than bullying or burying the person who reports it. And right now, I just don't think very many people have any excuse for trusting upper management in this hospital system.

6. "RN"

Pros

The hospital was nice but hard to find your way around. Parking was a little far but at least they had it.

Cons

Some of the nurses there had been there forever and seemed jaded.

7. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Community Medical Centers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Lots of change. Location is great for families who love the outdoors.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities. Change control is challenging. Always doing more with the same resources.

8. "Patience Registration Representative"

Former Employee - Patient Registration Representative in Clovis, CA
    Former Employee - Patient Registration Representative in Clovis, CA

I worked at Community Medical Centers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The hospital was in the process of a major expansion! New rooms, new doctors, and an improved system for maintaining Electronic Medical Records.

Cons

Was considered a per diem employee but was having to work almost full time without the ability to obtain benefits or raises.

Advice to Management

I genuinely loved our manager! Keep great people like him on staff! When there was a change of management everything changed with that.

"RN CRMC"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Fresno, CA

I worked at Community Medical Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the most important hospitals in the Central Valley. Undergoing much needed infrastructure improvements. Continuously recruiting physician specialists. Excellent marketing and propaganda department.

Cons

Poor, unqualified management resulting in high employee dissatisfaction and good nurses leaving. Constantly understaffed and nurses go over patient ratio. Lowest compensation when compared to other health care facilities. Take too much pride in its affiliation with UCSF school of medicine, neglects and undervalues the nursing profession.

Advice to Management

Provide more competitive pay. Respect and support your employees. Provide better education advancement opportunities. Be more prudent when it comes to hiring.

10. "Rehab Aide"

Pros

Management is open to employees advancement.

Cons

Salary is lower than national average.

11. "PCA"

Current Employee - Pca in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Pca in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Community Medical Centers (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to grow!

Cons

The pay is low compared to other hospitals in the area.

Advice to Management

More meetings would be helpful.