Community Mental Health Authority Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joe Brehler

1. "Residential Technician"

Current Employee - Residential Technician in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Community Mental Health Authority part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I can't think of many other jobs available without a degree that pay this well. I always got along well with management and co-workers. I feel we made positive progress with the consumers, which is a good feeling.

Cons

Sometimes just when you reach a sense of equilibrium, it all disappears because doctors want to switch up a med routine or a consumer who exhibits more problematic behaviors needs a placement. While everybody has good and bad aspects, some consumers are truly unpleasant to work with.

Advice to Management

I don't have much advice, really. My management was cool. I guess just try to be sympathetic to the complex and trying situations that arise for res techs.

2. "Awesome, supportive, and caring environment for client and staff!"

Former Employee - Community Support for the Developmentally Disabled in Lansing, MI

I worked at Community Mental Health Authority part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training, awesome and supportive work environment, direct contact with staff and management, variation of duties, amazing clients, and great pay!

Cons

For the position I was in, we only were allowed 20 hours a week, which forced us to have second jobs. It takes about 1800 hours or approximately 21 months to obtain Special Part-Time status where you are eligible for more hours and health care benefits.

Advice to Management

Please make it easier for part-time employees with several years of experience to climb the latter and obtain full-time status with health benefits.

3. "Would not recommend AMHS program"

Former Employee - Residential Technician in Eaton Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Residential Technician in Eaton Rapids, MI

I worked at Community Mental Health Authority (Less than a year)

Pros

Fulfilling to help people get back on track with their lives.

Cons

Management of the AMHS program is extremely poor and is willing to do whatever it takes to save their own skins when they make mistakes.

Advice to Management

Take actual responsibility for your actions rather than find a scapegoat who has nothing to do with it.

5. "Vocational Counselor - Job Developer"

Former Employee - Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor in Lansing, MI

I worked at Community Mental Health Authority full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work for benefits and PTO. Very supportive upper-management and supervisory staff. Lots of autonomy in order to do the job.

Cons

To do a decent job for the number of consumers (with developmental disabilities) to be served, two or three more vocational counselors are needed to split up the caseloads. Caseloads are too large - over 100 is common.

Advice to Management

Someone more used to working with rural businesses should be assigned to consumers looking for work in those areas.

6. "Bdbehavioral health services"

Former Employee - Peer Support Specialist in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Peer Support Specialist in Durham, NC

I worked at Community Mental Health Authority full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lest than 20 hour

Cons

I don't know I don't know

Advice to Management

It's growing

7. "I have had a very positive experience with CMH."

Current Employee - Family Support Worker in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Family Support Worker in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Community Mental Health Authority part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is great management for FSWs that communicate well and provide a lot of support for employees. You can pick up as many cases as you desire, so your schedule is very flexible and mostly up to you.

Cons

The position is 0-19 hours per week, so while it is good that you can work as much or as little as you want, there is a limit. Some of the kids you work with can be very difficult to manage, but that is expected with the position.

8. "Review for CMH Res Tech"

Current Employee - Residential Technician in Lansing, MI

Pros

Union support, time off can build up quickly, wage step increase each year for first few years.

Cons

Little communication between management and policy-setters and persons working inside the homes. Until a person can get a regular position, you have to start as relief and are not treated very well.

Advice to Management

Offer gentle teaching as optional tool, not how we're supposed to work with all of our consumers.

9. "a quite and good palace to work"

Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Lansing, MI

Pros

stable,
    very good benefit,
    good retirement match

Cons

low salary,
    location is not very good

Advice to Management

none

10. "Love my job"

Pros

This is a great place to work and my immediate supervisor is wonderful. This place really cares for their employees and consumers. I have enjoyed working here for the last 3 years.

Cons

I do not have any complaints

11. "Slow to change"

I worked at Community Mental Health Authority full-time

Pros

-Many coworkers have good intentions
    -Benefits

Cons

This agency was a mess. Many employees have worked there a long time (decades) and change/growth/progress was slooooow. Some employees embraced change and I feel it was coming, but not quickly enough.

While it seemed like most staff had good intentions to provide a good social service, the productivity of this agency is low. This could be good for you if you want to work somewhere that has low expectations of you. But it's stressful if you are trying to get things done.

Advice to Management

Delegate.