Community Mental Health Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Community Mental Health Center Reviews

Updated Mar 31, 2019

2.9
Community Mental Health Center CEO Tom Talbot (no image)
Tom Talbot

"Great Place to work"

I have been working at Community Mental Health Center

Pros

Great atmosphere, great people who are always friendly and helpful and superb exposure. Good professional culture and diversity is plentiful with many events to add flavor to every day work balance.

Cons

No cons as such observed

Community Mental Health Center2014-12-31
  2. "CMHC"

Current Employee - Case Management

I have been working at Community Mental Health Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They do great work! Good benefits. Nice people.

Cons

If you are learning a common role such as Caseworker, the the online and face to face training is excellent. If you are learning a less common role, such as Wraparound, the training is 1 hour per week. The role is far too complicated for there to be such a lack of structure. I've noticed that Social Worker/Therapist types are often so woefully over confident in their ability to read people and situations that they... make assumptions, assume they are correct and act on them while totally missing the truth with it's many facets. You would think that they would be the best readers of situations and people around and I am often shocked by that untruth. It makes them seem callous, careless and unkind. I just witnessed a very unfortunate situation with a newer Wraparound Facilitator employee with a solid background, who simply needed immediate structured training in the system and the manager is lazy/not known for his teaching skills. 1 hr a week is not enough to shape a High Fidelity Wraparound Facilitator. This was a sad, discouraging situation that was handled unprofessionally by 2 managers and it made me question whether or not I want to stay here.

Advice to Management

Teach your managers about growing their staff in a healthy way, not assuming the worst, how to have real conversations with their team, to make sure that they are receiving information that is accurate before judging and assuming incorrectly by talking with, not at the employee. I hope you conduct exit interviews to help you understand the undercurrent here. It is what fosters a loyal, cheerful employee and builds... healthy teams!

Community Mental Health Center2019-03-31

Community Mental Health Center Response

May 21, 2019HR Assistant

Thank you for your feedback and review of Community Mental Health Center, Inc. CMHC is committed to creating a comfortable, transparent and collaborative environment for all of our employees and agree that growing employees in a healthy way is important. We are disappointed to hear about some of your experiences and apologize for the inconvenience they may have caused. We understand that encouragement of employees is extremely important and we are constantly looking for ways to improve employee-training, benefits, and overall work environment. Thank you again for your feedback, it is much appreciated.

"Terrible for RNs"

I worked at Community Mental Health Center full-time

Pros

Recently increased pay for nurses (it was below $20/hr for experienced nurses)

Cons

Very poor reputation among psych nurse managers around the state (so poor, in fact, that you will likely be questioned about why you worked there when interviewing for other nursing jobs), "this is how we've always done it and we aren't changing" attitudes, differential rates are laughable and every other weekend is required ($0.65/hr for evenings and weekends?!?!), understaffed, no room for advancement

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bad apples and have more stringent hiring practices, take employee concerns seriously, encourage growth of your dedicated employees by promoting from within, current CEO and upper management have got to go

Community Mental Health Center2017-02-16
  4. "Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceburg, IN

I worked at Community Mental Health Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Feels more like a family than employer-employee relationship. Great benefits!

Cons

Having to put in to many hours in a day.

Community Mental Health Center2016-10-23

"Executive Management=Zero star review"

I worked at Community Mental Health Center

Pros

Some of the clinical staff are the most dedicated anywhere. This is demonstrated by their choice to work a lower paying job than they could get elsewhere and to continue working despite all the problems managment creates.

Cons

Executive management is arbitrary, arrogant, entitled, out of touch…they create a lot of liability for the agency….favoritism, workplace bullying, cliques are common…talented, professional, and dedicated staff are systematically driven out….unethical, probably illegal practices….a billing mill…management won't just threaten your job, they'll threaten your career and license so you can't work elsewhere…harrassment of... whistleblowers happens repeatedly, example: more than once a staff person has reported fraud complaints to management. Management has accussed staff of HIPAA violations. Management has not reported these HIPAA breaches to the Dept of Health and Human Services, Office of Civil Rights, as required by federal law. Conclusion: management's accusations are motivated by intimidation, not concern for patient privacy….a local university has quit sending graduate students here for training… management has stated that staff have to follow the personnel policy, but they don't.…at least three staff people have had to hire lawyers….quality care is given lip service….example: the inpatient unit recently had to close temporarily due to too many staff quiting. Management saw the problem developing but did nothing to avert the crisis until they were in danger of losing public funding. Meanwhile, patients and families had to travel long distances to get emergency psychiatric care. If you chose to work here, be prepared to get your own psychiatrist and attorney.

Advice to Management

To the Board: management knows the state can't pull the funding and give it to the other agency that serves these five counties because there isn't any. Management knows they have a monopoly and this has led to a decline in professionalism and accountability. Replace managment with qualified outsiders. Make a change. The state needs this agency, but they don't need these managers.

Community Mental Health Center2016-07-26

"Too Good To Be True"

Pros

Paid time off, $30 credit for cell phone, flexibility, mileage reimbursement, tuition reimbursement

Cons

Production requirement can limit use of PTO acquired, middle management and upper management, lack of support, pay, and working conditions

Advice to Management

At this point, it may be easier to start over.

Community Mental Health Center2016-06-12
  7. "Clinical social worker"

in Enfield, CT

I worked at Community Mental Health Center

Pros

Salary was good, great benefits,& Holiday pay.

Cons

not enough support between upper management.

Community Mental Health Center2016-01-26

"Great Clients...horrible administration"

Current Employee - Staff Therapist in Lawrenceburg, IN

Pros

flexible schedule, great clients, access to emergency services

Cons

unreasonable expectations, high workload, burned out co-workers, questionable ethics

Advice to Management

Become more connected to the folks in the trenches

Community Mental Health Center2014-03-15

"Great"

I worked at Community Mental Health Center

Pros

Nice people to work with.

Cons

Benefits is average in general

Community Mental Health Center2014-07-15

"Good opportunity"

I worked at Community Mental Health Center full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Friendly, flexible, personal satisfaction, worthy cause.

Cons

Pay structure, management, rural location.

Advice to Management

Improve supervisory skills.

Community Mental Health Center2012-09-20