Community Research Foundation Reviews

Updated Aug 1, 2020

3.4
Community Research Foundation President Linda Hammond
Linda Hammond
Pros
  • "Great benefits: Health insurance, awesome PTO, paid holidays(in 5 reviews)

• "Experience with client who have various mental health disorders (i(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay, chronic under-staffing, non-existent supervision, and only online training(in 5 reviews)

• "We are county funded, which means a high amount of accountability, which in turn means a lot of paperwork(in 3 reviews)

1. "Outstanding Support"

5.0

I have been working at Community Research Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management has been extremely supportive and focused on ensuring all staff are supplied with the PPE, work and technology modifications, and guidelines to be safely helping our community at this time. They have increased mental health resources to staff as well as expanding benefits when able. I am proud to be a part of this organization.

Cons

There are no cons at this time

Continue reading
  2. "Pay is adequate, hard work, emotionally exhausting sometimes"

Former Employee - CRC Specialist

I worked at Community Research Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pros: Good training opportunities, as you will be exposed to a wide range of clinical presentations.

Cons

Pay is not great, sometimes emergency situations will require overtime.

August 3, 2020Director, HR Administration

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As CRF serves such a broad spectrum of needs within the community, you're right--you will learn how to assess and support a wide range of situations. We appreciate the time you spent with CRF and wish you well!

3. "Excellent Organization providing educational advancement in Mental Health Services"

Current Employee - Employment/Vocational Specialist

I have been working at Community Research Foundation full-time

Pros

Continued Education and relevant hands on experience

Cons

Pay is low yet benefits are above average

April 9, 2020Director, HR Administration

We appreciate your feedback and comments. You are serving a vital role in our organization, and helping those in need. We will keep doing our best to advocate for additional funds for compensation. Thank you for reaching out!

"Poor Management"

1.0

I have been working at Community Research Foundation full-time

Pros

Benefits, other employees (NOT management), the overall vision of the one who started the company.

Cons

LOTS OF CONS - mainly in the admin dept. Management actually said it isn’t their job to know how to do their subordinates job - mainly because management doesn’t know what they’re doing, nor have they ever done the jobs of their subordinates. You are HIGHLY micromanaged and get questioned about doing EVERYTHING even when there is no justification. Management has NO IDEA what the difference is between being a leader and a manager. Management has very, very poor people skills and doesn’t listen to any suggestions or concerns. They are extremely self centered and will question your intelligence constantly.

April 9, 2020Director, HR Administration

Thank you for leaving this review of our company. At CRF we welcome input from our staff and clients. Our company thrives on collaboration and we welcome feedback. I hope you will take the opportunity to confer with our Human Resources department regarding your comments. Additionally, our Executive Management team is always open to reviewing a different perspective.

"Great experience in the field"

Former Employee - Aftercare Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I worked at Community Research Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is an amazing amount of training that can be attended for free. The experience made it to where I feel prepared to go to any work setting and feel not only comfortable, but able to handle any "crisis" that my come to be. I have also realized that I am more aware of my surroundings for myself and my colleges, which has paid off a few times. Great benefits.

Cons

Supervision is not paid for, and typically happens on off time. There is a high turn over which causes burnout quickly.

December 27, 2019Director, HR Administration

Thank you for recognizing the invaluable experience and supervision training that is provided during your time with us. Many non-CRF clinicians actually pay others for supervision in order to complete their training for licensure. We're glad that you feel prepared to grow and expand in your career as a result of working for CRF! And we appreciate the suggestion to keep doing the little things for staff. Good luck to you!

6. "Rewarding work, but lack of support from management"

Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor

I have been working at Community Research Foundation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Rewarding work. Great benefits. You will learn the DSM quickly.

Cons

Lack of support from management. Management not open to change. Pay is low, CRF is the major nonprofit so they have limited competition and therefore can pay low.

November 4, 2019Director, HR Administration

Hello--thanks for your feedback and for the positive comments about the work and benefits. One of the things we hear frequently from our employees is that they have such a broad exposure to different clinical needs that they can handle just about anything! I hope you also provided more details regarding your recommendations in our employee satisfaction survey. As for the pay issue, CRF is funded primarily by the County of San Diego, so our wages are tied to the contracts with the County. We tirelessly advocate and lobby for higher wages in our dealings with the County. We are always seeking to find more ways to support our workforce members in other areas such as our generous PTO plan and the new PTO "cash out" benefit, which is a way to add to your actual paycheck if you have not used your PTO. We'll continue to push for better wages and benefit options for you.

"Take care of your employees!"

2.0
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Community Research Foundation full-time

Pros

Although professional development is limited, they do offer a couple of opportunities.

Cons

Unsafe workplace practices. Everyone is burnt out or dealing with compassion fatigue. Not enough PTO. company culture is nonexistent.

December 11, 2019Director, HR Administration

Thank you for your suggestions. Safety is of paramount concern for everyone at CRF, and it is the responsibility of all staff to immediately report any perceived unsafe situations so that they can be addressed as needed. At CRF, our benefits and PTO are exceptionally good, including 24 days of PTO a year for full-time employees. One reason we offer so much time off is to allow our workforce members time to take care of themselves. We also provide an Employee Assistance Program at no charge to all regular staff, regardless of the number of hours they work. There are a lot of options and ways for our team to get the care they need so that they can continue to do this very meaningful and rewarding work.

8. "Good company"

Current Employee - LVN

I have been working at Community Research Foundation part-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of shifts to pick up

Cons

Not much training, no yearly raise

October 14, 2019Director, HR Administration

Thank you for your comments -- Please be sure to complete the CRF Employee Satisfaction Survey so that you can share more feedback. We continue to advocate for additional funds for raises from San Diego County, and hope they will work with us to increase our pay rates. In the meantime, thank you for all that you do!

9. "Good Place To Work"

Current Employee - Current Employee

Pros

It's nice to work at a company where you can really believe in the mission. The people are very nice, and the PTO package is very generous.

Cons

The pay would obviously be higher at a for profit, but I think managers could also advocate more for title changes and promotions.

October 14, 2019Director, HR Administration

Great idea about the title changes! We do offer mentorships to allow staff to learn more about positions at the next level of responsibility before actually taking on that role. It's a great way to "try out" an advanced position to see if you like it. We're always working on the pay issue, too, by advocating for higher staff pay with the County of San Diego.

"administration"

5.0
    Former Employee - Parent Partner/Case Worker in Rancho San Diego, CA

I worked at Community Research Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent teaching and great communication with employees, excellent work one on one, recovery based and offering hope.

Cons

I wished I could have become a therapist

August 6, 2019Director, HR Administration

Thank you for your dedication to our program as a Parent Partner. That's a critical perspective that is so helpful for our participants and their families. While it takes a lot of effort and formal education to become a therapist, there are so many other ways our workforce members make a difference. Please reach out to the HR Department - Recruiting for other ways that you can stay involved!

Found 55 reviews