Community Residences Inc. Reviews in Arlington, VA | Glassdoor

Community Residences Inc. Arlington Reviews

Arlington, VA

3.8
Dennis Manning

1. "Being an Intern was great!"

Former Intern - Intern in Arlington, VA
    Former Intern - Intern in Arlington, VA

I worked at Community Residences Inc. as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great supervision. My supervisor went above and beyond to make sure we had our required hours for my graduate school program. My program manager at the MH Group Home was always available by phone or email and when possible in person if I had any questions. I was about to make my internship what I wanted it to be. And my program manager and ArtWorks was also amazing, allowing me to do the second semester solo and gain extra experiences with different population during my second semester spent there. All of the MH Professionals and Paraprofessionals I worked with had so much advice and different experiences that they were all very willing to share with me that helped me grow as a future clinician/counselor.

Cons

Minimum training was given, and some unnecessary, although interesting training was also given to the interns (2 hours on benefits, salary, time off, etc...). I would have loved to see more training for interns along the lines of CPR, TOVA, nutrition, etc... Anyone going in to part time or full-time will receive fantastic training.

Advice to Management

I know as an intern I had a wonderful experience. I would recommend this site to others in a heartbeat. However, other classmates of mine did not share my feelings. To better gauge the differences, maybe have a neutral staff member from HR talk to all of the interns at the end of the year. More training being given to interns would also be beneficial.

2. "Working at community residence is a learning experience"

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Community Residences Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the best reason to work at community residences is the self fulfillment

Cons

their really no challenges in working for community residences either you want to do this type or work or you don't

Advice to Management

The advice for upper management would be to let the Q be the Q and not the dsp. The Q position and the combination of the dsp position is overwhelming. Most Q's need the money and wont step up and say doing the dsp work is taking away from the quality of the Q's performance.

"Great disappointment"

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Arlington, VA

I worked at Community Residences Inc. full-time

Pros

When there are outings for the consumers, you get to eat for free, you get to engage in the activity for free too. Watching some of the clients develop.

Cons

Upper managment has no clue how hard the little people work. Most of the program managers are more business focused instead actually caring about the progress of the individuals. They report what they choose to report to their superiors as long as it makes them look good. The company charges the clients despicable fees to live in a room in a group home. You will not move up in rank unless you prove to the higher ups that you are business minded. Depending on what program you work, you can provide a million ideas and suggestions, but they will be ignored....or managers will present them as their own. Micromanaging from manager.

Advice to Management

What happened to the days of visiting the programs? Visit programs to actually see what goes on. Come see how hard some of the little people actually work. It's because of the little people the home is able to operate.