Community Substance Abuse Centers Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Private Practice"

Current Employee - Counselor in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Counselor in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Community Substance Abuse Centers (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility managing my time. Documentation is less than working for an organization.

Cons

Dealing with insurance companies with regard to charges billed.

Advice to Management

None

"Clinician"

Former Employee - Clinician in Peabody, MA
    Former Employee - Clinician in Peabody, MA

I worked at Community Substance Abuse Centers full-time

Pros

It's hard to think of anything good about this company or its management. The hours will work if you are in school or have a family (5-1).

Cons

The main issue with PEABODY is it's management, primarily the PD. Management is rude, disrespectful and talk down to the clinicians as if were nothing. There is no support unless you are a nurse or part of the medical team. Clinicians are treated like the lowest of the low. Management asks for our opinion, but then ignores it. The rate of stress and burn out rate is high as they keep implementing more rules and less support. No concern for employee well being. It's frowned upon to be out sick or to take time off.

PTO is the lowest I've seen offered. They offer the minimum that is required by law and the accrual of that PTO is ridiculous. You'll be lucky if you ever accrue enough for a vacation.

Currently there are several unassigned patients who are not getting the care they need due to the companies problem with employee turnover and retention. They have no desire to fix the toxic culture within Peabody or increase employee morale and instead keep hiring new people without fixing the actual problems.

No room to develop your career. No room to be promoted within. Good entry job, but once you realize the culture and how stagnant your career will become you immediately start realizing you need to get out. Raises are also ridiculous as they base it on a Merit system and rate you as low as they can regardless of how stellar an employee you are in order for them to not give you an appropriate raise.

Nursing department is rude. Give out orders and don't do anything more than dose patients while everything else is done by the clinicians.

Be careful with the promise of supervision. It is not guaranteed and the lack of licensed approved supervisors is high at this company.

Get ready to be overworked with no real incentive or gain from any of it!

Advice to Management

Change management and put in place someone who is actually licensed and is respectful to not only patients, but employees as well. Increase employee morale. Properly address the employee turnover issues. Increase PTO. Offer more support for clinicians and stop adding so many patients on to already overloaded caseloads. 55 patients plus running three groups is a lot for one clinician! Be mindful that this burns people out. Really talk to and listen to your employees and their needs! We are telling upper management how unhappy things are and no one is listening.

"bad culture"

I have been working at Community Substance Abuse Centers full-time

Pros

clients were exactly as they should be expected to be .

Cons

sick culture , toxic , punitive interactions with clients were common.

Advice to Management

take a step back and look at what a disaster the entire facility is .

"Peabody site is going down blazing with no hope for reconstruction!!!"

Former Employee - Counselor in Peabody, MA
    Former Employee - Counselor in Peabody, MA

I worked at Community Substance Abuse Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the clinical staff were helpful and friendly. Wouldn't recommend this to any Masters Level Clinician looking to gain a decent reputation.

Cons

Management: NOT professional. Constantly coming to work late, canceling meetings last minute, re-scheduling meetings for when it's convenient for them (usually causing you to cancel an individual session), played favorites among staff they liked, would often bully those they didn't like. WOULD DISCUSS OTHER ISSUES THAT OTHER STAFF WAS EXPERIENCING. No confidentiality AT ALL along supervisors and fellow co-workers (I don't need to know why someone is out sick, I'm not a supervisor, and I don't think they would be happy either having their personal information shared!!!)
    Clinical supervision: Pointless. Discussing patients was like watching paint dry. "What's their number?" Would be the only question asked. No feedback if stuck with a particular client. Asking for documentation took weeks and when received.. well I'm pretty sure my 8 year old niece could write more.
    Group supervision took place, questions asked, but never had any follow through or improvements. "Let me talk to _______ and get back to you. I don't know."
    Billing/administration: With the exception of two admin workers, very unprofessional, crossed boundaries, played favorites with patients and not knowledgeable at all with their job description.
    Security: oh wait, there was NO security. Parking lot was dimly lit and coming in at 5am to a pitch black parking lot on rt 1?! Not safe! Patient care monitors mean well, but not when working with this particular population! Keep them but real security is needed and a lot more lighting!!!

Advice to Management

Unless something is seriously changed about management this place is going down blazing with no chance for reconstruction. I would not recommend this particular location to any fellow colleague nor would I recommend this to a person who needed treatment. Stay away unless you enjoy banging your head against the wall and working in a BS environment!!!!!!!

"Ok for a newbie."

Former Employee - Counselor
    Former Employee - Counselor

I worked at Community Substance Abuse Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Once you left work you could really leave it - no obligation to stay late or work overtime. Co-workers were great and you get to work with a wide array of patients. Abnormally early hours but this left time for people to able to work a second job.

Cons

Poor philosophy regarding the importance of communicating with other health providers, case loads were way too large and this made it clear the company just cared about numbers and reimbursement versus quality of care. Supervision was HORRIBLE, the person in charge wasn't even licensed and couldn't sign off on paperwork. She also had ZERO clinical skills and I felt I was not able to grow as a clinician working here, other than my face to face work with patients. All she focused on was paperwork and which patients weren't "compliant." Also minimal opportunities to move up in the company.

Advice to Management

Provide better supervision to your employees that are dealing with a very challenging population, STOP cutting benefits, i.e.-vacation time, find a way to keep you workers from leaving.

"Unethical Managment Team"

I worked at Community Substance Abuse Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not a single "pro" for this company.

Cons

Unethical management team that lies and cheats for each other and force great staff out the door while harassing them.

Advice to Management

go to hell

"Wow."

Former Employee - Counselor/Clinician in Chelsea, MA
    Former Employee - Counselor/Clinician in Chelsea, MA

I worked at Community Substance Abuse Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There aren't many...
    - Coworkers (other counselors) are alright - sometimes there was drama (see Cons) but it was also nice to have coworkers who all felt pretty similarly about the BS at this place
    - The hours - the hours are early, and while they are a con in one sense (not being able to stay out late on a week night), it was also nice because there was no traffic driving to and from work and there was no one at the gym if I went straight from work; I could also do errands that I wouldn't have the time to do during a normal 9-5 shift; I was also able to maintain a part-time job because of the early working hours
    - There's a staff parking lot right on site
    - Seems like CSAC could be moving in a better direction, but it's hard to say. CSAC has been sending human resource agents to some of its sites to discuss employee concerns, so maybe there will be some progress in a few months.
    - Worklife-balance: one thing I will say that was nice about working at CSAC is that I never, not once, stayed overtime - maybe I stayed a half hour at most once or twice (and counselors don't get compensated for overtime). I never felt that there was anything so pressing that required me to stay past my paid hours to finish. Many other clinicians did choose to stay past closing, and some did come on Saturdays, but I personally did not feel pressured to work more than the hours I was being paid to work.

Cons

- Poor supervision - this really depends on your supervisor; my supervisor was task focused and really focused on doing xyz (and on "non-compliant clients") instead of helping me grow as a therapist / counselor, although I do believe that she meant well; I also recognize that my supervisor herself was pretty overwhelmed and overworked, which is probably one reason why our supervision sessions were underwhelming
    - No support from management - i.e. clients can pretty much do whatever they want and your decisions in treatment are rarely backed up by management; management and the MDs constantly contradict themselves (e.g. - a scenario that constantly occurs is this: a client asks you for something, you check the rules and check with a supervisor who gives you a certain answer, but if the client is unsatisfied with that answer then he/she will tend to go to either your supervisor or a higher level staff member, who very often overrules their own rules and their original statements - this can leave the counselor feeling unsure and frustrated) - this leads to another frustration:
    - No consistently in client treatment, which means that counselors (and clients!) are constantly at the mercy of whatever upper management decides that the "rules" are at any given day, and causes a lot of splitting among clients, which is not often handled well by staff
    - Support staff is untrained in client de-escalation and often feeds into client drama; additionally, many support staff members are friendly with clients outside of the treatment facility, and bring those relationships into the clinic, which affects client treatment (including in counseling) and often leads to problems in the lobby/parking lot areas - basically, many support staff members are incredibly unprofessional
    - No focus on employee wellbeing - counselors are pivotal to this organization; we are the ones who treat these clients who are already disenfranchised and need a lot of support; counselors cannot do their jobs well and clients will not prosper if the organization neglects the wellbeing of their employers; employee well-being should be one of the core parts of individual or group supervision but is consistently neglected in these and other departments
    - Poor pay
    - Terrible benefits package - i.e., health care and time off
    - Upper-upper-upper level management is terrible - a client threatened to kill a counselor (had an intent and plan) and while I was appreciative that our clinic management backed up this client's expulsion from the clinic, higher-level managers did not, and the client was allowed to remain at the clinic - to management: what do you think this tells your employees? Yeah, that our wellbeing does not matter (see bullet #5)
    - Drama among counselor co-workers - sometimes it felt like high school all over again
    - High turnover - in the time that I was at CSAC (and I wasn't there very long), 7 counselors (not including myself) left, 3 of which were there for less than a year
    - Little opportunity for vertical advancement - of the three supervisors who are currently at CSAC, two were promoted after being there for 6-7 years and one after being there for 10+ years. Prior to that, they were in the same role that I was in, and I was technically a "beginner" clinician. You have to wait a long time to advance in your career there unless you get really really lucky, and raises are very small. As someone who was pretty much fresh out of grad school when I started there, I was making more than someone who was there for 5+ years - FIVE PLUS YEARS - and I'm considerably younger than she. I was also making more than an independent level clinician who had been there for over two years, and I am not currently an independent level clinician. Their salary system doesn't make sense.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees, especially your MASTERS-LEVEL counselors. Really, and I don't mean just give them good salaries: I mean show them that you care about their education, wellbeing, and their skills but giving them proper supervision, both individual and as a whole. I've worked at many different agencies in my lifetime and this is by far the worst. There is a reason that there is a high turnover rate at CSAC as a whole. If you don't change the way things are soon you will continue to lose competent and valuable employees.

8. "Fantastic"

Current Employee - Patient Care Monitor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Patient Care Monitor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Community Substance Abuse Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have never known a company to be so committed to employee satisfaction and engagement. They are dedicated to providing a work environment that is supportive and where employees are listened to and respected for the tremendous work they do. They have restructured Human Resources and hired 2 Employee Resource Partners to bring employee satisfaction and retention to a whole new level. I feel valued, respected and acknowledged for the work I do with our patients.

Cons

There needs to be more consistency of practice and procedure throughout their various sites. It leaves to much room for error.

Advice to Management

Come out to the clinics more often. We like to see our CEO and VP.

9. "Health Care Resources"

Former Employee - Patient Care Monitor in Chicopee, MA
    Former Employee - Patient Care Monitor in Chicopee, MA

I worked at Community Substance Abuse Centers (More than a year)

Pros

The Boston Director is a straight forward guy who will push for you if you work hard. They have free parking for employees. There staff are great to work with

Cons

The company seems like they are worried about putting in bodies in facilities each week. The Insurance is high for the pay you receive.

"Serious company culture issue."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

Pros

Good management pay, patient centered.

Cons

Some locations have structural/space issues, internal software is old and inefficient, minimal vacation time, culture of insubordination.

Advice to Management

Support Directors at the clinic level. Tantrums and unprofessional outbursts by front line staff should never be tolerated. Redo the annual performance evaluation process. Start to work towards becoming a data-driven company.