Commvault Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Commvault Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Hammer
Bob Hammer

Pros
  • Great place to work with great work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Great product that does so much more than just backup (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance could be better (in 15 reviews)

• Chaotic strategic direction seems to be based on latest book read by senior management or fear of shareholder takeover, or both (in 14 reviews)

1. "Empowering CEO (Bob Hammer) and great benefits offered"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Oceanport, NJ
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Oceanport, NJ

I worked at Commvault full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quarterly updates by the CEO onsite at NJ Headquarters location, matching 401k plan, and great benefits and PTO. There are also holiday events that sometimes cut into work hours. On-site cafeteria has pretty good options and prices. HR does a good job of listening to employee feedback. CEO is friendly and is actually seen in the office.

Cons

Very large company, so it can feel like you are not making a big difference in the overall company.

2. "Intern"

Current Employee - Inter in Tinton Falls, NJ
    Current Employee - Inter in Tinton Falls, NJ

I have been working at Commvault (Less than a year)

Pros

Great salary for an intern. Unlike other companies, I felt that they really got the interns involved. Especially making sure that they wanted to do something they were interested in pursuing in the future.

Cons

Can be slow paced at times.

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Commvault full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent organization, leadership and products. Commvault is a first class software company developing the best data management software solution in the industry.

Cons

Only con is that Commvault does not have the name recognition and market share of some of the larger and more well known companies in this space.

Advice to Management

Please keep doing what you are doing! Commvault is a great place to work and build a career in the software industry. Thanks for all that you do!

5. "Great environment"

Former Employee - Intern in Tinton Falls, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in Tinton Falls, NJ

Pros

Great place to work at.
    Good mix of people in the team, goal-oriented.
    Enriching experience as an intern.

Cons

Would be better if at this level there could be some exposure to more avenues and technology. Felt too confined working in one team.

Advice to Management

Great work, as a former employee I would like coming back to this place to work again.

6. "Good experience"

Former Intern - Intern in Tinton Falls, NJ
    Former Intern - Intern in Tinton Falls, NJ

I worked at Commvault as an intern

Pros

I had an amazing mentor who was there to help when I had any questions and would explain why they decided to do certain things, while still giving me some freedom in design choices. Would give me feedback on my work, and overall a very encouraging learning experience. The environment was fun and open, especially because all the interns work near each other in an open area. Perks were great - pay was pretty good, there were free food & snacks, and fun game rooms. Everyone was pretty relaxed and casual - overall a great experience.

Cons

The intern culture is a bit lacking, which definitely could improve with some effort. Other interns were great. There weren't many interns in general, and no intern programming. Interns still hung out together but it took more effort than it would if there were some activities planned, etc. to get to know the others.

Advice to Management

-Improve on intern programming (even just a couple activities for all the interns to get to know each other). This also makes the retention rate and appeal to potential interns higher.
    -Could do more campus recruiting

Commvault Response

Feb 21, 2017 – Employer Branding Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We love hearing from our interns at Commvault! We are happy to hear that you found the experience to be enriching and consider Commvault a great place ... More

7. "Solid internship experience"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Tinton Falls, NJ
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Tinton Falls, NJ

Pros

- Very helpful and invested mentors who gave me a great support system and reached out to other employees on my behalf when necessary
    - Fun and relaxed work culture

Cons

- I would have preferred working in a more open, team based environment instead of on mostly individual projects
    - Very few other interns, and no intern culture

Advice to Management

Commvault is a great company and an interesting place to work, but the intern program would benefit from more investment. If recruiters were more involved on college campuses and actively seeking out talent, Commvault would have greater opportunities to develop an intern culture and attract and retain top students.

"Yeah"

Former Employee - Pre-Sales Systems Engineer in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Pre-Sales Systems Engineer in New Brunswick, NJ

Pros

Good people easy work/life balance. They really care about their customers and make good products. Support is the best I have ever seen.

Cons

Changes to comp plans and moved my position to a territory I didn't live in. Would not work to correct the issues until after I had an offer to leave. Why would anyone stay if you have to go as far as getting a new offer with a new company.

Advice to Management

The SE's are the glue that keeps the customers happy. Sales reps come and go as we all know. Take the time to correct things vs having your employee be forced to get a new offer with a new company.

"A place to grow with people who share a common vision."

Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Tinton Falls, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Tinton Falls, NJ

I have been working at Commvault (More than 5 years)

Pros

From the moment you start here, you can see that everybody has the same goals. They want to help each other out.
    In Support you get to use your existing knowledge, as well as company tools to solve complex customer challenges. The environment is primed for asking for help if you get jammed up and gives you avenues to get questions answered.
    You are never alone.
    The environment is not top heavy with officials and those who are higher up are approachable. You can reach out to your supervisor, manager, and even director at any time with any challenge and they are willing to not only listen, but work towards a solution with you.
    Flexibility on Time Off is top notch.
    Company events are awesome.
    Internal sports teams and groups are great to be a part of (Softball, Ping Pong, Billiards, Foosball challenges, Soccer Leagues, Bowling, and more)
    Chance to work on Humanitarian projects.

Cons

If you are expecting to hide in a crowd of people and not work, you've got the wrong place. Everyone looks to work hard to accomplish their share, so those who don't get noticed very quickly.

"Pretty Great!!!"

Current Employee - I'm Not Telling This IS Anonymous : ) in Tinton Falls, NJ
    Current Employee - I'm Not Telling This IS Anonymous : ) in Tinton Falls, NJ

I have been working at Commvault full-time

Pros

It's a great time to be in tech. I'm not one to drink the kool-aid, but we really have an awesome product and are growing like crazy. It's a fun company. it's cheesy to say, but the culture is great. I can walk in any door with a question and the worst answer I'll get is "I'm not sure, try asking ____". Overall though, it's enjoyable being here and helping the company grow, as well as having my career grow along with it.

Cons

The biggest downside is that there is not always a well defined career path. So you may not know what the next step is going to be. In a fast growing company that's not entirely bad though, as new positions are created to fit the needs of the business, I'm in one now. But, I didn't know that it was an option until it was.

Advice to Management

Mostly, keep it up. I like what I'm seeing, that's why I'm still here.

11. "great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tinton Falls, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tinton Falls, NJ

I have been working at Commvault full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great teams and support from management, that allow you to be challenged and think outside the box. Spectacular culture and first class working environment. Great learning opportunities with people willing to teach. You are treated like a valued employee. Beautiful headquarters with unlimited benefits.

Cons

none that i can think of...

Advice to Management

keep building the successful environment that you are building.