CompUSA Reviews in Miami, FL | Glassdoor

CompUSA Miami Reviews

Miami, FL

2.4

Pros
Cons
  • Limit opportunity for growth, long hours needed often (in 4 reviews)

• Low pay even with multiple certifications (in 3 reviews)

1. "OK place to work. Need to be ontop of your game and fend for yourself."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

Pros

Ability to make a good paycheck if you know how to sell.
    Fun enviroment to work in (depending on Managment)

Cons

Managment only cares about Sales
    Inventory is usually low, Most promotional items (especially laptops) are out of stock the whole week of the promotion

Advice to Management

Care more for the employees than your own pocket.

2. "CompUSA Technician"

Former Employee - Computer Technician in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Computer Technician in Miami, FL

I worked at CompUSA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly Co workers, store closes fairly early at 9:00pm. You get to work on computers and learn.

Cons

Low pay even with multiple certifications. Management is always breathing down your back and your main objective even as a tech is to make sales. Not a place for someone scared of sales. Not a whole lot of repair going on, mostly selling customer Microsoft OS and charging for backups is what they really want to do.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing employees and pushing sales so hard because if you want a good tech he is most likely not going to want to sell Antivirus all day and push it down peoples throats.

"Right hand meet left hand"

Former Employee - General Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at CompUSA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

During the time I worked there they had some good people at store level and at Corporate support level (HR, Buyers, etc) but I think Tiger Direct took on more than it can handle in attempt to get into retail stores without a lot of experience. See Cons for more details

Cons

From the (Former) CEO down to VP's, DM's the mgmt style was manager by threats and fear. Over working salaried managers to the extent of 80plus hours a week. Very little praise, positive recognition nor raises. Then they bring in a former Circuit City Business Manager of New Concept as a VP for Business Development. She ends up bring in a ton of old CC managers to slowly replace store managers. I was one of the last to go out (left on my own did not get fired) in S Fla as I actually ran a good store with solid results that to this day havent seen again but since it was way more about politics than performance. Since then all the CC managers (that were hand picked by old CC VP) has been fired or quit before getting fired for varies performance issues

Advice to Management

First hire the right people (recruit people currently employed not every reject that is applying cause they are out of work in retail. If they are not working in retail anymore there is a good reason they suck! The good ones are still working, get a plan and follow a process (many times they expect results in days, panic when it doesnt happen then hit reset and try something new without giving it sufficient time to work) Also stop making store employees and manager work like slaves, stop managing by fear some kindness and recognition goes a long way. People tend to leave companies more for managers than the actually job. I love my job despite the long hours and other BS cause I liked what I did. I left cause of upper mgmt and their lack of leadership/direction and seemed as no advancement opportunity . Which still goes on to this day (I still know people who work at the store level)

5. "CompUSA"

Former Employee - Director in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Director in Miami, FL

Pros

The opportunity for growth and career advancement

Cons

The hours expected of employees is 50-55 per week, which leaves little time for work-life balance.

Advice to Management

n/a