Companions & Homemakers Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Linda J. Grigerek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Caregiver"

I worked at Companions & Homemakers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and decent 401k

Cons

Poor communication, management doesn't listen and doesn't accept blame for mistakes they make, violates state statutes when firing someone.

Advice to Management

Listen when a caregiver asks that a client wishes be noted in their file. Don't blame caregiver for mistakes they didn't make and stop violating state statutes when firing someone.

"Advice"

Current Employee - Field Coordinator in Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Field Coordinator in Farmington, CT

I have been working at Companions & Homemakers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Meeting new people within the state

Cons

Learning that the negative reviews on this company have not been enough to move this company to a higher standard and level of consciousness in the field of HomeCare.

Advice to Management

Practice the culture that you claim you are. Learn and practice what it means to be "accountable", to be of "integrity" and to have and show "respect" and "compassion" for your worthwhile caregivers and staff and clientele.

"Terrible company!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington, CT

I have been working at Companions & Homemakers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My pay check has never bounced

Cons

Turnover is horrific, absolutely no job security whatsoever. Terminations with no warning or reason are common place. Management "rules the roost' with scare tactics. During interviews, the company sounds terrific, but once hired whole different story. Totally mismanaged policies change weekly upper management very sneaky and and appear toNOT be on the same team as the employees they supervise.

Advice to Management

I guess I would have to say there is absolutely no advice for management they would pay little if not no attention to any advice given. They need to all be on the same page and maybe then and only then will they reduce their large turnover rate

"companion"

Current Employee - Companion and Homemaker
    Current Employee - Companion and Homemaker

I have been working at Companions & Homemakers part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Meeting and spending time with clients

Cons

Seems like high turnover in the branch offices

"Care giver"

Current Employee - Care Giver in Avon, CT
    Current Employee - Care Giver in Avon, CT

I have been working at Companions & Homemakers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible hours and they will work with your schedule.

Cons

I feel that there is NO job training whatsoever and also that Companions and Homemakers can tend to be a little flippant towards the client. They just want to fill the job with warm bodies and sometimes they really don't care who they are putting where and that trickles into how they treat the care givers as well.

Advice to Management

You should offer more training to your care givers and pay a higher wage. If you paid a higher wage, you would get better quality workers and people who would be more committed.

6. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington, CT

I have been working at Companions & Homemakers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working for Companions and Homemakers for almost 2 years and find the environment challenging and exciting as we in the process of huge growth and changing culture. All those I work with and manage have respect for each other and one goal in common and that is the care of our clients. Each employee here is given great benefits, training and responsibilities that allow for upward movement.

Cons

There are very few cons but perhaps the main con would be that we are growing and need more exceptional employees.

"W"

Current Employee - Caregiver
    Current Employee - Caregiver

I have been working at Companions & Homemakers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in shifts. Work as many or as few hours you would like. Benefits are offered, however unless you're office staff they may be difficult to obtain due to the instability of the work. Obviously, I am patient or I wouldn't be working here.

Cons

There are no staff meetings. There are no in service trainings for bathing, ambulation, proper lifting techniques or educational seminars in Alzheimer's care or Dementia care. They have online training modules listed in the newsletter they print. This is not mailed out with your check, nor is it mentioned to you by phone.This surprised me.

Advice to Management

I can't even go there. Maybe when you took this position you were uneducated as to the inner workings of the company. Sorry for you, really.

"Caregiver"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Hamden, CT
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Hamden, CT

I have been working at Companions & Homemakers part-time

Pros

I have worked for Companions since 2010. I could only wish this company was around when my mother was ill and need assistance. The caregivers are assigned to a client they believe will be a good match. If you're working for this company or another like it, you need to be the type of person that is caring and compassionate. You just have to like people. I have had a number of clients and create a bond between my client and myself. These are really people that want to feel cared for and sometimes feel upset they can't do everything they use to. It's up to us to encourage and remind them of everything they have done. The staff at the New Haven office is always so nice and accommodating. It's a pleasure to work for them.

Cons

The only thing I can say is when you lose a client when they pass on. They become part of your family and I know I have felt the loss. I miss them all.

9. "Employee"

Current Employee - Pca in Middlebury, CT
    Current Employee - Pca in Middlebury, CT

I have been working at Companions & Homemakers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

In-home care is a great way to work one-on-one with clients and get to know them personally and their families and be able to make sure their needs are met. Very rewarding job! You can work various hours that are best for you and your family. The company sees to it that you are compatible with the client .

Cons

Sometimes you get to attached to the client as if they are your family

Advice to Management

Recognize that the employees can know the client better than the family and more communication with the dss worker could do wonders

"lousey company"

Former Employee - Pca in Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - Pca in Enfield, CT

I worked at Companions & Homemakers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule you pick and choose where and when to work

Cons

They double book caregiver's and never tell clients if new caregiver is coming to their home

Advice to Management

Get a clue

Companions & Homemakers Response

Mar 1, 2017 – Director of Communications

Dear caregiver employee-

Thank you for your feedback. I am certainly concerned if this has been your regular experience in your past year + of your listed employment. I assure you this is not... More