Cover image for Compass Education

88% Recommend to a Friend
100% Approve of CEO

Found 13 of over 94 reviews

4.6
Compass Education Founder and Principal  Art Sawyer  (no image)
Art Sawyer

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,937

976 Comments

Teachers

199.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Compass Education~196327
Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0

Supportive Staff

Jul 9, 2022 - SAT/ACT Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

As a part-time employee, it's typically very hard to find support from full-time/permanent staff, but at Compass they're very mindful of your experience and check in with you. I feel incredibly supported (plus great pay!).

Cons

Sometimes there are slow seasons (i.e. summer break) and so you don't always get a lot of students, but this is the nature of the position and not a reflection on the company. If you want a consistent stream of income year-long, this might not be the position for you.

2. 5.0

Great management

Apr 11, 2022 - SAT/ACT Verbal Tutor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Reasonable compensation, great training, supportive management team, flexible hours

Cons

Limited amount of hours, unclear whether there are opportunities to increase hourly rates

1 person found this review helpful
  3. Join the Compass Education team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Former Employee

Good part time job

Mar 23, 2021 - ACT/SAT Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good part time job, steady work

Cons

none, people are great, culture is good

5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Side gig

May 6, 2021 - ACT/SAT Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company pairs you with steady slate of work with students

Cons

Pay increases slowly. Less worth it over time. The company charges families a lot and pays tutors just a small fraction.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Really supportive workplace

Sep 22, 2020 - SAT/ACT Tutor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

I think that Compass really stands out as a company that supports their staff and want the best for each of them. We received comprehensive paid training and often had check-ins and meetings throughout the year. Would recommend as a good part-time gig.

Cons

Being part-time does not necessarily guarantee you will be working as many hours as you wish.

7. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great organization - really enjoyed working with them!

Sep 13, 2016 - SAT/ACT Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

All of the permanent staff (who organize the tutors and students) were fantastic. Kind, engaged, thoughtful people who cared about the success of both their students and their tutor employees. Also, the ability to set your own schedule and work independently was wonderful.

Cons

FYI: When I worked for Compass, I also had a full time office job in San Francisco. For about a year, I worked as a Compass tutor on evenings/weekends for extra income (and because I love teaching). So my comments don't reflect the experience of someone who was trying to be a Compass tutor as full time employment. There is a lot of travel involved as you are tutoring students in their own homes typically. Travel time is not paid, however you can get reimbursed for bridge tolls (important in the Bay Area!) Your schedule will fluctuate based on student enrollment and test dates, so it will vary quite a bit - could be a pro or a con depending on what you're looking for!

8. 5.0

Professional, Open, Accessible Administration with Serious Experience

Aug 15, 2019 - SAT/ACT Math Tutor in Chelsea, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

As a part time instructor, I get to take on as many or as few clients as I want, and have full control over my own schedule. Although I was quite experienced in private instruction before joining Compass, adapting to the Compass resources and methodologies understandably took time; fortunately, the on-boarding process was both vigorous and thorough, and gave me a sense of completion that felt rewarding. Part-time instructors also come on as Employees and not Contractors, which is great.

Cons

Compass has an exclusivity agreement, so you won't be able to tutor for them if you have ties with another instructional company whose work would suggest a conflict of interests. (However, I think most employees will agree that this is an acceptable condition.) Additionally, even with the qualification of employee, there are no benefits associated with the part-time instructor role.

3 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company!

Jun 23, 2016 - SAT/ACT Tutor in Beverly Hills, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is an excellently managed company that really supports its employees. Some positives are: annual pay raises; smart, nice and highly competent directors and staff; ability to specialize in one area of tutoring (i.e., to work just as a verbal tutor or just as a math tutor); great instructional materials and training; lots of opportunities to take on additional responsibilities for additional pay. I have been tutoring here for four years and recently also began test proctoring and essay grading. It's a great part-time gig, and the tutoring work with students is mostly very rewarding.

Cons

The only con is that pay varies a lot seasonally (i.e., fewer tutoring clients in the summer months, though you can always pick up test proctoring, etc. duties to fill the gaps a little bit), so this generally can't be one's only job/source of income. As a part-time job, though, it is fantastic!

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good side-gig overall

Oct 19, 2016 - SAT/ACT Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Great people and support from the head office in Beverly Hills. They truly are caring. They're pretty empathetic when misunderstandings occur with parents / students. They know it's part of the business. * They do all the lead generation, sales and admin, so you can focus on tutoring. * They give you all the materials you need to teach, including their own material plus whatever other books you need. * They pay you for prep time, though not nearly as much as the tutoring time. * They offer continuing ed opportunities a couple of times a year.

Cons

* No payment for driving time, which can take a lot of time depending where you live in relation to your students. No payment for gas or car wear / tear either. * Like with any tutoring gig, there are times of overwhelm from having lots of new / ongoing students, while other times there aren't many to serve. It's the nature of the business. * It's tough to make a decent living doing this work, so consider having a regular day job or at least steady income from another source.

11. 5.0

Very happy to work here

Dec 11, 2015 - SAT/ACT Tutor in Beverly Hills, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pros include... 1. Great, very thorough training at Compass' office in Beverly Hills, which took about two full days. The following week, there was a teachback to make sure I was able to put the training into practice. Lunch and tons of snacks were provided and there was a $150 stipend for completing training. 2. Very quick turnaround on calls or emails to office staff. There is a dedicated case manager for every student and any questions or concerns I have about the program are addressed within a couple of hours. Supplemental binders and other materials generally show up at my door the day after I request them. 3. Plenty of work. I'm able to dedicate full-time to this so I have a caseload of about 20 students on average, of whom I see about half every week; however, I am cross-trained in SAT Math/Verbal, ACT Math/Verbal, ISEE and HSPT, so tutors who specialize in just math or just verbal or who have fuller schedules outside of Compass may see a different number of students. 4. Being able to dictate my own hours -- hours are SUPER flexible. I'm able to take college courses just for fun during the day, go to appointments, run errands etc. and work on the evenings and weekends when I'm available. 5. Compass encourages their tutors to tailor their approach to each student, which means that although I stick to the basic concepts learned in training, I can modify my lesson plans to suit my students' needs. 6. Tutor events every few months -- trivia night, Christmas parties, etc. A lot of the other tutors work in the entertainment industry in one form or another, so they can be a lot of fun to mingle with as their pop culture knowledge is unrivaled. 7. Compensated prep time at $14 an hour. There's also paid parent time at half my hourly rate if parents have questions about the program after the session is over. 8. I feel good about representing Compass as a company. The parents have not been strong-armed into buying more lessons than they actually want. The materials are high-quality and represent the exact types of questions students will see on test day. Compass offers proctored practice tests every weekend with a one- or two-day turnaround on test scores. And parents routinely report that the office staff is as responsive to their needs as it is to mine. I've worked for companies that only cared about the bottom line; this is not one of them.

Cons

Cons include... 1. Being on call at pretty much any time of day. Parents have texted as early as 5:45 a.m. and as late as 11:30 p.m. However, it shouldn't be too hard to get around this by setting business hours. 2. Students frequently reschedule or cancel. However, Compass does have a cancellation policy where it's considered a "missed lesson" if the student cancels less than 24 hours in advance. The parents are charged a fee and I still get paid for the lesson. It's up to me to report the missed lesson at my discretion -- most tutors will give one freebie with a warning and then charge if it happens again. 3. A decent amount of paperwork comes with the territory -- one online writeup per session with details of the lesson, homework assigned, etc. This is also kind of a plus, though, because I have details of their program to date all on my phone. 4. I happen to like driving, but most people don't, so I'll handle this in the cons section. As someone who works in and around the South Bay, there is a pretty sizable amount of driving involved. I opted to extend my geographical area to Orange County, so for a while I drove more than most, but tolls are compensated and the hourly rate is higher for out-of-area students. I made up to $54 an hour instead of my usual $33 by commuting to San Clemente. Most of my current caseload is now within 15-45 minutes of my home (with traffic).

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Reviews