KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Compass Education Reviews

Updated Sep 7, 2022

Found 86 of over 92 reviews

4.5
Compass Education Founder and Principal  Art Sawyer  (no image)
Art Sawyer

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,930

973 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

Still A Great Workplace!

Sep 7, 2022 - Tutor in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Extremely smart and competent employees. Everyone wants you to succeed. A lot of the tutoring has moved online during the pandemic, and things have been smooth.

Cons

Can be hard to manage workload. No travel reimbursement.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Love working for this company

Aug 23, 2022 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great support from company, curriculum, and training. I love that they supply all the materials and practice tests. I feel like I have the tools to be a successful tutor.

Cons

It's hard to have regular hours on a weekly (and, therefore, monthly) basis, so it's challenging to have a steady income that you can plan on.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good hours and good management

Jul 11, 2022 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

- flexible hours - payment for prep time/parent time - online and virtual options - good communication with management

Cons

- may not be assigned as many students consistently at times - some weeks less lucrative than others - not good if you can't manage yourself

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Supportive Staff

Jul 9, 2022 - SAT/ACT Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

As a part-time employee, it's typically very hard to find support from full-time/permanent staff, but at Compass they're very mindful of your experience and check in with you. I feel incredibly supported (plus great pay!).

Cons

Sometimes there are slow seasons (i.e. summer break) and so you don't always get a lot of students, but this is the nature of the position and not a reflection on the company. If you want a consistent stream of income year-long, this might not be the position for you.

5. 5.0

Great as a second gig

Jul 7, 2022 - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility, Supportive administration, continuing education, consistent raises each year

Cons

Tutoring in person is a great deal of driving

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great management

Apr 11, 2022 - SAT/ACT Verbal Tutor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Reasonable compensation, great training, supportive management team, flexible hours

Cons

Limited amount of hours, unclear whether there are opportunities to increase hourly rates

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

a great gig

Apr 8, 2022 - Online Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

good culture nice colleagues work from home flexibility and freedom pick your hours high pay

Cons

not enough hours pay is small percentage of what they charge clients

8. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Insufficient Pay

Apr 2, 2022 - Test Preparation Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive administrative staff, good materials, reputable company

Cons

Tutor pay rate is less than 30% of what clients are charged. Top heavy administratively

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great part-time gig

Feb 24, 2022 - Tutor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with Compass for a while now, and it's been my solid main gig this whole time. I can control how many students I take on, which is great since I'm in grad school and have juggled multiple jobs/internships while still working for Compass. There's opportunities for other side gigs within the company too, like proctoring, grading, teaching SAT/ACT classes at the schools they partner with, etc. Plus, everyone who works on the management team is super friendly and they actually care about you. I remember seeing another review on here back when I was still debating on if I should take this job or not: it said something about the pay looking good but is small in comparison when considering how much parents are ACTUALLY paying for the lessons. I definitely understand what they mean—but at the same time, this still gets me a fat paycheck. I don't have to source my own students, the case managers handle most of the admin work (and parents, too, if they get problematic), and there's annual pay bumps if applicable. I also appreciate how much they value pedagogy and making as much of an inclusive space as possible for employees (as a tutor, you're not a contractor—you're an employee!), families, and students. They have professional development opportunities where we may learn ways to work with students with disabilities, etc.

Cons

I agree with something another review pointed out: a pay increase for tutors who have high student loads would be p nice. Also while the SF office had boasted before that all their case managers are women, which is great, they are all white, which is not as great. The management team overall can hire more diverse people, I'm sure. Also, health insurance as an employee would obvs be nice, but I understand the logistics of that for being part-timers is likely tricky.

10. 4.0
    Current Employee

Good student job

Feb 21, 2022 - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good side gig for students and helpful staff

Cons

Commute isn’t paid for and variable hours

Viewing 1 - 10 of 86 Reviews

Compass Education Reviews FAQs

Compass Education has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5, based on over 92 reviews left anonymously by employees. 94% of employees would recommend working at Compass Education to a friend and 88% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Compass Education employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Compass Education. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

94% of Compass Education employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Compass Education 4.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.7 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Compass Education to be management, culture, career development and the cons to be benefits, work life balance.

Popular Careers with Compass Education Job Seekers