KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Compass Education

Engaged Employer

Compass Education

Add a Review

Compass Education Employee Reviews about "compass"

Updated Mar 28, 2021

Found 24 of over 90 reviews

4.4
Compass Education Founder and Principal  Art Sawyer  (no image)
Art Sawyer

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,927

972 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Administrative staff of experienced tutors who can help you tailor programs for each student, and help you manage a family with whom things haven't gone as hoped.(in 10 reviews)
  • "1. Flexible hours and geographic preferences(in 8 reviews)
  • "1. Great, very thorough training at Compass' office in Beverly Hills, which took about two full days.(in 8 reviews)
  • "Friendly and effective management.(in 4 reviews)
  • "Excellent culture overall.(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "compass"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Really supportive workplace

Sep 22, 2020 - SAT/ACT Tutor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

I think that Compass really stands out as a company that supports their staff and want the best for each of them. We received comprehensive paid training and often had check-ins and meetings throughout the year. Would recommend as a good part-time gig.

Cons

Being part-time does not necessarily guarantee you will be working as many hours as you wish.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Very Good First Tutoring Job

Mar 28, 2021 - Tutor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Compass has an extremely supportive administrative team.

Cons

Once you have some experience, you can make significantly more money tutoring on your own.

2 people found this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company

May 9, 2020 - Tutor in Beverly Hills, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Unlike many other tutoring companies, Compass takes care of their tutors. They give you free and plenty of resources for your tutoring, offer reimbursement for parking costs and driving mileage. I have worked at 3 different companies and Compass by far is my best experience.

Cons

Depending on where you are willing to drive, you may have more or less opportunities for hours.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Exceptional People Doing Exceptional Work

Jan 14, 2020 - Administrative in Larkspur, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The only place I've ever worked where everyone in the office is respectful and kind and there are NO office politics (I worked in the Larkspur office: President Bruce Reed and Managing Director Lia Lackey). All of the employees at Compass are exceptionally intelligent people. They truly care about the overall business, are exceedingly ethical, and everyone possesses (and uses) critical thinking skills. They also take very good care of the employees. Throughout the entire office, they genuinely care about each other. These are wonderful co-workers. This is a rare environment in which to work. I can't speak highly enough about the company and the people who work there.

Cons

The company's compensation is low, especially compared to the same position at other companies, especially in the Bay Area. If Compass paid market rates, I would still be there.

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Current Employee

Not Good Enough to Stay For Long

Nov 7, 2019 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Compass is a decent place to work part-time. The staff seems nice and mostly solid, and the pay is $40 an hour, also pretty good. I like the kids, learning and doing my own schedule.

Cons

But they are charging $220 an hour for tutoring. Wowza. So we make 20% of what they take in. My pay doesn't sound so good now, it's almost insulting. Then, they pay everyone as an employee but there are no benefits. So I can't deduct my mileage or health insurance from my taxes. That also sucks. I heard Study Smarter offers people real benefits so I might look there. They want people to drive a lot. Driving to Marin and dealing with traffic over there is a lot. They don't seem to really factor in how they're asking people to spend unpaid hours in the car plus all the out of pocket gas money. Sue in the office seems difficult to work with. With the tutors there seems to be high turnover and the job is isolating. I will do this for now, but Compass doesn't treat us good enough to stay for long.

5 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Professional, Open, Accessible Administration with Serious Experience

Aug 15, 2019 - SAT/ACT Math Tutor in Chelsea, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

As a part time instructor, I get to take on as many or as few clients as I want, and have full control over my own schedule. Although I was quite experienced in private instruction before joining Compass, adapting to the Compass resources and methodologies understandably took time; fortunately, the on-boarding process was both vigorous and thorough, and gave me a sense of completion that felt rewarding. Part-time instructors also come on as Employees and not Contractors, which is great.

Cons

Compass has an exclusivity agreement, so you won't be able to tutor for them if you have ties with another instructional company whose work would suggest a conflict of interests. (However, I think most employees will agree that this is an acceptable condition.) Additionally, even with the qualification of employee, there are no benefits associated with the part-time instructor role.

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

all around amazing place to work!

Jul 17, 2019 - Tutor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked as a tutor for Compass since January. Management is extremely supportive and down-to-earth, communication and resources are well organized. Compass takes a holistic approach to nurturing students' progress and genuinely cares about the success of its students and tutors.

Cons

As with most tutoring companies, it takes a while to build up to the amount of hours you'd ideally like to have.

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great people, great pay

May 28, 2019 - Tutor in Larkspur, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very supportive staff, useful training and team building events, excellent students, good curricular materials, excellent website, W2 employment

Cons

The usual tutoring issues--lots of driving, canceled lessons, inconsistent hours--nothing unique to Compass

9. 5.0
    Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Professional and fair

May 13, 2019 - Tutor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Being a Compass tutor has been one of my best experiences working in education. The give tutors a great amount of autonomy over lesson planning and other decisions, but they are also responsive and available to any questions/issues. They pay tutors for training, which is partially online and partially in person, and we are also compensated for time spent prepping lessons and working with parents. Compass also has an impressive online portal for use by tutors and admin, as well as parents and students, which makes it really easy to communicate and review student information.

Cons

Workload can vary across seasons.

10. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great job, but not enough hours

Dec 3, 2018 - Math Tutor in Beverly Hills, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Tutoring high school students is a wonderful job. It was fulfilling and always exciting.

Cons

Compass only assigned me a few students at a time. In a typical week, I would have between two and four tutoring appointments -- each of them 90 minutes long (plus driving time, but that isn't paid, although sometimes they give you a tiny bonus for doing a long drive). So in a typical week I was working between 3 and 6 hours; before finals or a big test it might be as much as 10 hours.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 24 Reviews