KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Compass Education

Engaged Employer

Compass Education

Add a Review

Compass Education Employee Reviews about "management"

Updated Sep 7, 2022

Found 17 of over 92 reviews

4.5
Compass Education Founder and Principal  Art Sawyer  (no image)
Art Sawyer

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,930

973 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great part-time gig

Feb 24, 2022 - Tutor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with Compass for a while now, and it's been my solid main gig this whole time. I can control how many students I take on, which is great since I'm in grad school and have juggled multiple jobs/internships while still working for Compass. There's opportunities for other side gigs within the company too, like proctoring, grading, teaching SAT/ACT classes at the schools they partner with, etc. Plus, everyone who works on the management team is super friendly and they actually carewithin the company too, like proctoring, grading, teaching SAT/ACT classes at the schools they partner with, etc. Plus, everyone who works on the management team is super friendly and they actually carewithin the company too, like proctoring, grading, teaching SAT/ACT classes at the schools they partner with, etc. Plus, everyone who works on the management team is super friendly and they actually care about you. I remember seeing another review on here back when I was still debating on if I should take this job or not: it said something about the pay looking good but is small in comparison when considering how much parents are ACTUALLY paying for the lessons. I definitely understand what they mean—but at the same time, this still gets me a fat paycheck. I don't have to source my own students, the case managers handle most of the admin work (and parents, too, if they get problematic), and there's annual pay bumps if applicable. I also appreciate how much they value pedagogy and making as much of an inclusive space as possible for employees (as a tutor, you're not a contractor—you're an employee!), families, and students. They have professional development opportunities where we may learn ways to work with students with disabilities, etc.

Cons

I agree with something another review pointed out: a pay increase for tutors who have high student loads would be p nice. Also while the SF office had boasted before that all their case managers are women, which is great, they are all white, which is not as great. The management team overall can hire more diverse people, I'm sure. Also, health insurance as an employee would obvs be nice, but I understand the logistics of that for being part-timers is likely tricky.

Continue reading
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good hours and good management

Jul 11, 2022 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

- flexible hours - payment for prep time/parent time - online and virtual options - good communication with management

Cons

- may not be assigned as many students consistently at times - some weeks less lucrative than others - not good if you can't manage yourself

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Compass Education: Fantastic Company

Jul 6, 2015 - Compass Education Verbal Tutor in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Compass Education is a great company to work for because of its organization, management, dedication to providing students with the best tutors, and respect for its employees. The training period that tutors undergo before being offered students to work with not only serves to provide the students with the best tutors possible, but also allows for the tutors to feel completely prepared and confident to work with students and handle any situation that might arise. I have been particularly impressed by Compass Education's organization when it comes to arranging students' and tutors' schedules. Their website allows for tutors to post detailed information about lessons with students, as well as any other pertinent information (best times for scheduling lessons, notes from previous tutors, etc.) that will help each tutor efficiently create a lesson plan for each student. I appreciate the level of open communication between management, clients, and tutors. Working for Compass Education feels like being part of a team. I live in San Francisco, and I appreciate that management takes my location into consideration when offering me students (all of my students so far have been within walking distance of my house). Other pros of working for Compass Education include: Ability to create your own hours/schedule Competitive pay Many opportunities to move up within the company Satisfaction of knowing that you are helping kids

Cons

I haven't experienced any "cons" of working for Compass Education as a tutor.

Continue reading
  4. 4.0
    Current Contractor

Good Part-time Job

Jun 13, 2016 - Anonymous Contractor
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Friendly and effective management. - Quality materials and training - Easy to use and effective online timesheet

Cons

-Lots of time/gas money lost to driving

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

all around amazing place to work!

Jul 17, 2019 - Tutor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked as a tutor for Compass since January. Management is extremely supportive and down-to-earth, communication and resources are well organized. Compass takes a holistic approach to nurturing students' progress and genuinely cares about the success of its students and tutors.

Cons

As with most tutoring companies, it takes a while to build up to the amount of hours you'd ideally like to have.

6. 5.0
    Former Employee

Excellent culture and excellent management

Sep 26, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great management team, co-workers and culture

Cons

None that I can think of

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Excellent hourly salary and outstanding employee support

Jan 22, 2016 - Tutor in San Jose, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

This company genuinely respects and supports its workers. We supply a high-quality niche product, and management goesquality niche product, and management goesquality niche product, and management goes the extra mile to make sure that both clients and tutors are happy with our work. Salary reviews are regular, and I've received significant hourly rate increases as often as twice in a year. Opportunities to develop new skills or fulfill new roles are common; management actively looks to retain strong employees by offering them chances to grow and advance. Scheduling is flexible, and in the course of several years with the company, I've also found them very accomodating of special requests and circumstances. This is a company that truly views its employees as a crucial asset and makes sure that they know it.

Cons

Part-time employees don't get a full benefit package, but that's pretty typical for part-time work.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great part-time gig

Jul 18, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management is really nice, supportive, and engaged with both you and your students. Easy company to work for. Then, the same pros you choose tutoring -- flexible schedule, fairly good pay for a part-time job that you don't have to put a lot of thought into.

Cons

It gets a bit maddening to drive from house to house to house after a while, and of course you're not reimbursed for travel expenses.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 Reviews