KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Compass Education

Engaged Employer

Compass Education

Add a Review

Compass Education Employee Reviews about "no benefits"

Updated Oct 2, 2021

Found 8 of over 90 reviews

4.4
Compass Education Founder and Principal  Art Sawyer  (no image)
Art Sawyer

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,927

972 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Administrative staff of experienced tutors who can help you tailor programs for each student, and help you manage a family with whom things haven't gone as hoped.(in 10 reviews)
  • "1. Flexible hours and geographic preferences(in 8 reviews)
  • "1. Great, very thorough training at Compass' office in Beverly Hills, which took about two full days.(in 8 reviews)
  • "Friendly and effective management.(in 4 reviews)
  • "Excellent culture overall.(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "no benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great part-time opportunity

Oct 2, 2021 - Math Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good workplace environment/culture and flexible hours.

Cons

High-hours tutors receive no benefits.

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great part-time job with flexibility

Apr 10, 2021 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility in scheduling, high hourly rates, supportive environment, many professional development/training opportunities for tutors

Cons

Hours vary by season, no benefits/hard to work enough hours to earn benefits

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 2.0
    Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Runs through tutors like a feedlot

Mar 31, 2021 - Tutor in Larkspur, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pays well, paid training, lots of academic materials to support tutors

Cons

Poor customer service, Managers only tell what you're doing wrong, Not enough work to have as only job, no benefits.

4. 5.0

Professional, Open, Accessible Administration with Serious Experience

Aug 15, 2019 - SAT/ACT Math Tutor in Chelsea, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

As a part time instructor, I get to take on as many or as few clients as I want, and have full control over my own schedule. Although I was quite experienced in private instruction before joining Compass, adapting to the Compass resources and methodologies understandably took time; fortunately, the on-boarding process was both vigorous and thorough, and gave me a sense of completion that felt rewarding. Part-time instructors also come on as Employees and not Contractors, which is great.

Cons

Compass has an exclusivity agreement, so you won't be able to tutor for them if you have ties with another instructional company whose work would suggest a conflict of interests. (However, I think most employees will agree that this is an acceptable condition.) Additionally, even with the qualification of employee, there are no benefits associated with the part-time instructor role.

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Current Employee

Not Good Enough to Stay For Long

Nov 7, 2019 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Compass is a decent place to work part-time. The staff seems nice and mostly solid, and the pay is $40 an hour, also pretty good. I like the kids, learning and doing my own schedule.

Cons

But they are charging $220 an hour for tutoring. Wowza. So we make 20% of what they take in. My pay doesn't sound so good now, it's almost insulting. Then, they pay everyone as an employee but there are no benefits. So I can't deduct my mileage or health insurance from my taxes. That also sucks. I heard Study Smarter offers people real benefits so I might look there. They want people to drive a lot. Driving to Marin and dealing with traffic over there is a lot. They don't seem to really factor in how they're asking people to spend unpaid hours in the car plus all the out of pocket gas money. Sue in the office seems difficult to work with. With the tutors there seems to be high turnover and the job is isolating. I will do this for now, but Compass doesn't treat us good enough to stay for long.

5 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0

Stellar tutoring group

Apr 7, 2016 - Verbal Tutor in Larkspur, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Compass Education is a wonderful employer. The culture is very supportive and growth-oriented, both toward tutors and toward students. As an organization, Compass demonstrates genuine investment in students' success. As a tutor, that's awesome to experience! Although it's primarily a test prep organization, other types of tutoring programs are available. Training is great (and paid), staff and directors are impeccably friendly and professional, communication is prompt and helpful.

Cons

Hours are based on student demand, so they're not always predictable. However, Compass is very honest about this. No benefits.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Overall great, could have much better benefits

Oct 31, 2019 - Tutor in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Flexible hours and geographic preferences 2. Paid prep time 3. Cancellation policy (<24 hours' notice means you'll get paid for 1 hour) 4. Directors/managers are pleasant to work with

Cons

1. No benefits whatsoever, even as a high hour tutor 2. Commute 3. Difficult parents/families (though this is part of any tutoring job) 4. Your cut is barely 20-25% of what the client pays the agency

8. 4.0
    Current Employee

Review

Nov 3, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good product well liked amongst clients/prospects

Cons

Management lacking, no benefits, the culture of running team members into the ground no flexibility leads to a revolving door for staff.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 English Reviews