Cover image for Compass Education

Compass Education

Engaged Employer

Compass Education

Add a Review

Compass Education Employee Reviews about "schedule"

Updated Oct 4, 2022

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 88 of over 94 reviews
4.5
94% Recommend to a Friend
100% Approve of CEO

Found 7 of over 94 reviews

4.5
Compass Education Founder and Principal  Art Sawyer  (no image)
Art Sawyer

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,937

976 Comments

Teachers

202.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Compass Education~196327
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "schedule"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0

Great Company with Solid Pay

Oct 2, 2022 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Control your own schedule, great pay, fantastic training and materials, responsive and empathetic staff

Cons

None so far. Really love the job.

2. 4.0

Excellent Job with Supportive Management and Flexible Scheduling

Oct 4, 2022 - Private Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

- ability to set your own hours and increase/decrease your workload - opportunities for horizontal growth into other subject areas - extensive onboarding and training - opportunities to work with underprivileged students through the Compass Scholarship Program

Cons

- hourly compensation for the tutor relative to hourly rate charged to the client is a bit low - not much opportunity for upward mobility - no benefits

3. Join the Compass Education team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0

Still A Great Workplace!

Sep 7, 2022 - Tutor in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Extremely smart and competent employees. Everyone wants you to succeed. A lot of the tutoring has moved online during the pandemic, and things have been smooth.

Cons

Can be hard to manage workload. No travel reimbursement.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Love working for this company

Aug 23, 2022 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great support from company, curriculum, and training. I love that they supply all the materials and practice tests. I feel like I have the tools to be a successful tutor.

Cons

It's hard to have regular hours on a weekly (and, therefore, monthly) basis, so it's challenging to have a steady income that you can plan on.

6. 5.0

Supportive Staff

Jul 9, 2022 - SAT/ACT Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

As a part-time employee, it's typically very hard to find support from full-time/permanent staff, but at Compass they're very mindful of your experience and check in with you. I feel incredibly supported (plus great pay!).

Cons

Sometimes there are slow seasons (i.e. summer break) and so you don't always get a lot of students, but this is the nature of the position and not a reflection on the company. If you want a consistent stream of income year-long, this might not be the position for you.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good hours and good management

Jul 11, 2022 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

- flexible hours - payment for prep time/parent time - online and virtual options - good communication with management

Cons

- may not be assigned as many students consistently at times - some weeks less lucrative than others - not good if you can't manage yourself

8. 5.0

Great as a second gig

Jul 7, 2022 - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility, Supportive administration, continuing education, consistent raises each year

Cons

Tutoring in person is a great deal of driving

9. 5.0

Great management

Apr 11, 2022 - SAT/ACT Verbal Tutor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Reasonable compensation, great training, supportive management team, flexible hours

Cons

Limited amount of hours, unclear whether there are opportunities to increase hourly rates

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great part-time gig

Feb 24, 2022 - Tutor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with Compass for a while now, and it's been my solid main gig this whole time. I can control how many students I take on, which is great since I'm in grad school and have juggled multiple jobs/internships while still working for Compass. There's opportunities for other side gigs within the company too, like proctoring, grading, teaching SAT/ACT classes at the schools they partner with, etc. Plus, everyone who works on the management team is super friendly and they actually care about you. I remember seeing another review on here back when I was still debating on if I should take this job or not: it said something about the pay looking good but is small in comparison when considering how much parents are ACTUALLY paying for the lessons. I definitely understand what they mean—but at the same time, this still gets me a fat paycheck. I don't have to source my own students, the case managers handle most of the admin work (and parents, too, if they get problematic), and there's annual pay bumps if applicable. I also appreciate how much they value pedagogy and making as much of an inclusive space as possible for employees (as a tutor, you're not a contractor—you're an employee!), families, and students. They have professional development opportunities where we may learn ways to work with students with disabilities, etc.

Cons

I agree with something another review pointed out: a pay increase for tutors who have high student loads would be p nice. Also while the SF office had boasted before that all their case managers are women, which is great, they are all white, which is not as great. The management team overall can hire more diverse people, I'm sure. Also, health insurance as an employee would obvs be nice, but I understand the logistics of that for being part-timers is likely tricky.

11. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

a great gig

Apr 8, 2022 - Online Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

good culture nice colleagues work from home flexibility and freedom pick your hours high pay

Cons

not enough hours pay is small percentage of what they charge clients

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 Reviews