Compass Group Canada Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Compass Group Canada CEO Saajid Khan
Saajid Khan

Pros
  • Good work life balance for employees (in 4 reviews)

• Big Company opportunities for growing, nice people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management shows favouritism and does not provide positive feedback or acknowledgement for all employees (in 5 reviews)

• Will lessen hours of long time employees to hire newbies who will work for minimum wage, employee loyalty nonexistent (in 4 reviews)

1. "Not great company, not great people values"

I have been working at Compass Group Canada full-time

Pros

Number 1 in the industry

Cons

People are a product and are disregarded and dismissed

Advice to Management

Tell people what you are really like so they can make an informed decision before joining

"Management weak are bullies and very political"

Former Employee - Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

.......not much I hate to say. Some very nice people there.

Cons

The management team are weak, don't listen, are complete bullies and out of touch with the real world. They only care about themselves and make decisions to further themselves not the company.

Advice to Management

Wake up.

"Head Office Mississauga"

Former Employee - Head Office Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Head Office Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Pros

Salary is the norm. Benefits ok.

Cons

This is the worst job I have ever had. The Managers constantly chat behind your back, and show favoritism to their other fellow managers.
    One manager I had constantly talked down on me, and would constantly complain to her manager about everything. The world evolves around her, but they were like best friends so it was allowed. It makes for a very negative and stressful work environment. The people there are disgusting and expect you to work from home without extra pay on your evenings and weekends. I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Get rid of current management who think so highly of themselves, and hire a new set of managers who can actually manage effectively.

"Corporate Concierge"

Former Employee - Corporate Concierge
    Former Employee - Corporate Concierge

Pros

They have a good health benefits plan and I was eligible from day 1.

Cons

This is one of the worst company ever to work for. They are very unfair to their employees. Compass received contracts from alot of these big company's and I was placed there to work. The company pays compass over 5G a month just for my service and I take home less than 40% after working so hard. The company pays compass for Bank Holidays but Compass hold that money and they don't pay us for that day. They give a standard job description; but in the contract they state that you will perform duty as per the company that I am assigned to, which is way beyond the job description. They lock us in a 2year contract that you have to be a SLAVE for them for 2yrs before you can work for the company that they assigned us to.

Advice to Management

Workers should be compensated according to the duties and requirement of the vendor. Not a standard contract/pay where only you alone is Winning. Workers should be able to apply to the vendor after working for 1yr.

"Cheap company, limited oportunities for growth."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Compass Group Canada full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get some training and can build up some experience to move over to a better company.

Cons

- Lack of employee recognition;
    - It seems that the only hiring criteria is the one accepting the minimum wage. This also applies to management, therefore the quality of the people within the company.

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

large company with operations all over the world

Cons

-- Headquarters is not interested in getting rid of toxic work environment and are satisfied with the status quo.
    - Top management have no problem protecting abusive, unprofessional and lazy managers even though there is clear proof of misconduct, high turnover rate and low employee morale.

8. "More attention for front line workers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Pros

Large company with room to move around, if you wanted

Cons

Poor wages for work that is required
    Poor training and commutations from managers
    Poor system for expense reimbursement

Advice to Management

Revamp your wage structure for the front line employees. Train your middle management in all areas. Revamp your expense reimbursement policy and timeframes.

Growing and revenue are important but not at the expense of your front line staff.

9. "Terrible Management and Work Culture"

I worked at Compass Group Canada full-time

Pros

Big company which means there will be room to grow. Many different sectors (hospital, school, offices) for you to work in.

Cons

Upper management is all about the revenue and profit. There is not a good work culture and they do not care about people

Advice to Management

Be more people focused. We understand that the company is in it for the money, but without motivated employees, you'll never make money.

10. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Barrie, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Barrie, ON (Canada)

I worked at Compass Group Canada full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Always understaffed.. Have tons of hours available always needing to be covered. Very close to home. Great work environment other than management.

Cons

No room for advancement. Management chose to do as they like never follow policy or procedures. There is NO accountability for management they can do as they like and hr will only back the management. They remove you from positions and drop pay scale with no justification then place someone less qualified in the position for less money. They take away benefits when you don't meet the hourly/weekly criteria even though you are off on sick leave due to an operation and cannot make the hrs, when you contact benefits they tell you sure have get back but now you have to pay $40/wk. Or no you can't you have them back you have to put in 6 full weeks of hrs first. And you are unable to get you medication for you surgery.
    This company/management only cares about the bottom line and nothing for its employees who do ALL the work to get that bottom line.
    When you use the COMPASS GROUP SPEAK UP line to report the abuse of power policy and procedures you will end up suspended for a day or two or fired if you do not back down and stop standing up for yourself. NEVER WORK FOR THIS CONTRACT COMPANY THEY OFFER NOTHING IN THE WAY OF A FUTURE. They do not even offer kindness, understanding and basic human respect.
    You will be treated as a number.

Advice to Management

If you have processes in place to support employees,,they should actually work. As well you should think about why a contract...especially an important contract in Ontario would have such an enormous turn over of staff. Why has the Assistant Resident Manager position had such a high turn over in the last 5yr...8 new managers..may say something about the direct management. Why not support the employees who do stand out and promote from within so the hard working productive staff will stay and the unproductive leave. Maybe then the attitude of who cares no one ever cares it's not my job and they don't pay me enough would leave as well.
    People respond to an incentive and by making ones work life horrible it is no incentive to work well or happily with anyone. When management understands it's about how we are treated not money maybe then will you be able to provide your customers with a consistent, quality service and not loose so many contacts.

"shady people"

Former Employee - Hospitality Associate in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Hospitality Associate in Victoria, BC (Canada)

Pros

Benefits..thats about it.. The pay isnt even that great. few nice people i met there real solid.

Cons

Shady managment, shady workers, there was two ladies that would always go to managment and complain or rat out other staff members even when they werent doing anything wrong. The work load was way too much. Some people wouldnt even beable to take thier breaks.. So much staff come and go its crazy. Some would even walk out on the first day. This is the worst job i have ever had. I never knew people could be so twisted and messed up. They dont properly train anyone and when they do get people trained they do a bad job. My first week there they stuck me with one of the supervisors who had been covering for someone on mat leave and was originally from the diet office. The whole time he trained me he was barely there.. In and out of the room alot and pretty much on my own. Plus he has no idea what he was doing since he wasnt use to that kind of work. That didnt go very well. They never had enough staff to properly get me trained so they stuck me on a floor with not as many paitents... Heres when i had major issues. The floor i had gotten switched to was this old cranky union workers floor. I dont know what it was if she seen me as a threat or what but she would gossip to other workers how i apparently wouldnt pick up my dirty food trays at night when collecting. this is not true what so ever i tried my best for this company and worked hard. not only that she went to managment behind my back telling them i was a slacker and super slow. which is funny because she only ever seen me for a short period of time when she would come do my orders for me. not only that she went to managment and told them that the guy on the opposite rotation(who worked on the same floor) and told them that he told her everything was out of place and messed up and not where it should be. while working my last shift i also here for a fact that it wasnt true that the guy said thoose things. it was her trying to make me look bad to managment. ever since i got switched to her floor i had non stop problems. managment auditing me all the time and coming up to my floor for no reason just to make sure i was working..they never caught me slacking because well thats just not what i do. i hope they realise they lost a good worker. my last week there they had gotten me trained by this other girl who actually knew what she was doing. showed me all theese tips and tricks to get the job done. managment had basically told her that im an idiot and dont know what im doing and there was something wrong with my tempuratures. they also told her to be extremely hard on me..haha what the!! i guess something was odd with my tempuratures cause i wasnt writing it down to the decimal point.. go eff yourself no cooks i have ever worked with have written it down to the decimal point... theese people are so clueless!!! another bad thing the other chick that trained me for one day was supposed to be training me while she was in the corner crying and texting on her phone because they had keep switching her floors. this is another one u would have to watch out for.. would go behind your back and talk stuff to managment. theese people are so unprofessional.. i hope something gets done about this because im not the only one who has had problems with this one lady.. people have quit thier jobs because of her. theese are the shadiest people ever and they will harrass you till u quit. do not work for this company.. maybe not all of them are bad but dont work at royal jubilee... worst job ever and im so glad its over with. i never enjoyed coming to work. lately each time i came to work i would have major panic attacks and break down and cry..a work place should not be like that... just be careful when u work for some of theese shady unions cause theese people are crazy.... managment never said anything to my face when they thought i was doing something wrong..they would just go behind my back and tell the last girl who was training me. once u call in sick or have to leave cause ur sick they will question u saying are u sure its not just allergies. and once u came back from ur sick days they will switch ur floor and put u on the heaviest floor ever. not to mention another gross thing is you have to deal with dirty trays and do dirty dishes all day while your handling food.. not food safe at all and thier dish washers dont even wash they just sanitize.. i think i will be writing a huge complaint to head offuce or something because something needs to get done. i dont want anyone to go through what i went through...so glad i am moving away and wont be stuck at that job.

Advice to Management

fire all managment and get new managment in that actually know what thier doing and are professional and not shady or back stabbing. Dont let your coworkers gossip about other coworkers to you and harass and attack them just because somebody told you something thats not true. deal with it in a professional manner and see for yourself before you attack and harrass theese certain people.