Compass Group UK & Ireland Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Compass Group UK & Ireland Managing Director Dennis Hogan
Dennis Hogan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Most staff are friendly and helpful but this is also followed up with the lack of ownership (in 4 reviews)

• A few good people: kind, considerate, helpful (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero hour contracts even when the job is permanent (in 5 reviews)

• Need physical strengths while long hours (in 6 reviews)

1. "Internship Abroad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaumont, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaumont, TX

I worked at Compass Group UK & Ireland (More than a year)

Pros

Located in central London...AMAZING! It was encouraging to also get to put our hands in a variety of sectors all within such a short time frame.

Cons

Not enough planning ahead by my location. Other than that...it was an incredible experience.

Advice to Management

Plan ahead for our arrival. No flying by the seat of our pants.

2. "Too big to care"

Former Employee - Learning & Development in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Learning & Development in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Compass Group UK & Ireland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At lot of time is spent on helping you to have Great days at work, but there is no real intent behind it.
    This huge business works out of some amazing sites and I had the chance to visit some great places during my time with them.
    As always it’s the people in site who make the business and Compass is lucking to have some of the very best.

Cons

It’s an organisation that really is too big to care.
    Each sector of the business operates in silos (sectors) meaning lots of wasted money and lots of frustration if you’re in a support role.
    Management don’t have a handle on this and so they play favourites - one sector is not equal to another - some have money to spend on training (yes, they cross charge each unit for mandatory training!) and others don’t meaning your training /employee experience is dependent on working in the right sector.
    There are a great number of managers at Compass, but this is a business in dire need of leadership at every level.

Advice to Management

For an organisation that claims its people are their only asset you don’t live that value - give people autonomy and trust that they will do the best for your company. Develop your people, don’t charge for L&D - your frontline managers are your best hope for future leaders, you should believe in them more.

"A mixed experience"

I worked at Compass Group UK & Ireland full-time

Pros

Great opportunities if you're lucky, well established company with a good reputation. Decent benefits package if you're more senior then customer-facing staff

Cons

The culture is very different from contract to contract, sector to sector. In some, employees are treated with respect and are given many opportunities to develop their career. In others, employees are forgotten, badly treated and never recognised

Advice to Management

Do not forget the importance of your customer-facing, entry level teams. They are the face of the company and deserve more recognition and a fair pay

4. "Favoritism"

Current Employee - Catering Assistant in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Compass Group UK & Ireland part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn some new skills while I was working within the company

Cons

Being treated unfairly by manager

5. "You know what you are getting"

Former Employee - Barista in Guildford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Barista in Guildford, England (UK)

I worked at Compass Group UK & Ireland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free drinks were probably the only really positive thing.

Cons

I was working in a Costa shop owned by Compass. Long hours and awful opening and closing times, low pay, constant queue, never enough staff, no focus on employees wellbeing and development...

6. "One of the worst companies someone could work for"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Coventry, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Coventry, England (UK)

I worked at Compass Group UK & Ireland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff is entitled to meals.

Cons

At the site where I worked, in Coventry the senior management was extremely incompetent and negligent with the staff. There were times when load of staff was leaving because of the attitude of the senior management towards them and the contract did not approve of them to be replaced in order to save money on the budgeting so he kept all units understaffed.
    Staff was treated very badly, wages are extremely low and chances are you will be humiliated by the senior management with the first opportunity.

Advice to Management

Hire personnel for the management team with ethics, morals and competences. Treat staff with respect.

7. "Utimately one of the most frustrating companies I have ever worked for."

Pros

Struggling to give positive comments with this company. Most staff are friendly and helpful but this is also followed up with the lack of ownership.

Cons

Not the best company to work for if you have any career goals. Management are quick to stab you I the back offer little support and like to micro manage.

"You're just another numver"

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Compass Group UK & Ireland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They gave me a nice car

Cons

They expect 60 hour weeks.
    They don't give you time off in leu.
    Higher management don't let you manage.

Advice to Management

Allow your managers to manage their sites and do their job rather than just be a puppet. Also encourage managers to have a healthy work/ home life, rather than over work them in to the ground.

9. "Not bad"

Current Employee - Unit Manager in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Unit Manager in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Compass Group UK & Ireland full-time

Pros

Decent salary, straight forward job, lots of resources and training available.
    My line manager is easy to work with and gives me support and autonomy to run my unit.

Cons

A fine/ average company to work for as a manager, but not for team members or other hourly paid employees.
    Compass are very reluctant to offer contracted hours to HPEs: zero hour contracts used for TMs/TLs- very hard to recruit high calibre staff with no guaranteed hours or other benefits. Pay the minimum wage for employees age and only 30p extra for supervisors...! If the supervisor is under 25 they will be paid less than a team member over 25.
    There is also no staff feeding whatsoever in my sector- can't even have a free coffee or use their milk for your tea- very tight!
    Excessive E-learning as part of the induction, employees expected to spend hours completing e-learning over their 12 week induction period, which is unrealistic in this industry, particularly with labour constraints.
    Some other managers in my sector/patch seem to have a poor work/life balance and are always doing work from home on their laptops or dialling in to conference calls on their days off, or texting me or each other at 10PM.

10. "Administrative Manager Uxbridge - tried my best to shield my team from worst aspects"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Uxbridge, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I worked at Compass Group UK & Ireland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some well thought out processes. Genuine will to improve processes. Good benefits - pension, childcare vouchers, privilige scheme.

Cons

Complete lack of flexible working - which is very old fashioned. Lots of jobs would be done just as well - if not better - if staff could work from home. Having staff have to be at their desk until 8/9pm does them no good, especially if they have a long commute. Many of the SMT can come across as incincere and hypocritical and staff resent it. Honesty goes a long way.

Advice to Management

Intriduce more flexible working - everyone should have the right to work in the way that best suits them - just because someone is at their desk it doens't mean they are prodictive and just because someone works from home it doesn't mean they will not get the work done. Studies prive that many people are more productive if they can work from home - particularly when there are intense deadlines to meet.