Compass Group USA Reviews in Redmond, WA | Glassdoor

Redmond, WA

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Peter Fetherston

Pros
  • Great benefits, good people, good pay (in 24 reviews)

• Off weekends meet great people can train in various positions to do other things and not stay in one position just a great place to work (in 17 reviews)

Cons

1. "Always tries to guide its employees to help them advance."

Current Employee - Prep Cook in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Prep Cook in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Compass Group USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Weekends off to spend them with family
    To keep a balanced life between work and play....and still provide employees with challenging opportunities.

Cons

Having to demand additional time to meet goals and get food made from scratch
    to the clients.
    Annual evaluations executed in a timely manner to realize merit pay adjustments.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep employees challenged

2. "Good job, for about 1 month"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Compass Group USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, decent benefits, that's all I have good to say but, I need twenty words. Meal plan is ok

Cons

Management does not communicate between teams causing problems. They would rather keep a bad worker rather than reprimanding them or firing them, causing them to force their hard workers to quite. Excessive drama. Extremely poor management. Not good.

Advice to Management

Get your stuff together! Treat your hard workers well instead of giving them the work that the bad employees don't finish or do. If they aren't doing there job fire them, don't punish your hard workers and let you bad workers off Scott free! Also, communicate better between teams and nip drama in the bud the moment it arises instead of letting things fester for months culminating in a crap storm!

"Good place, low pay"

Current Employee - Tier I Lead Technician in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Tier I Lead Technician in Redmond, WA

Pros

Stable place to work, good people and a friendly environment to work in. Good food benefit and ok 401k matching program

Cons

low pay, nobody really cares about lower level employees, seems most management is middle of the road so they don't get their heads on the chopping block

Advice to Management

pay more for better technicians and longevity of employees

5. "Global Learning & Development Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Global Learning & Development Operations Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Compass Group USA (Less than a year)

Pros

Promoted internal employee growth, development and diversity. Built great relationships with clients.

Cons

The sector of the company I worked in was predominately food services (catering and cafes). When it came to company direction or decisions. the impact was most often negative for me.

Advice to Management

I would have liked to see HR or Management show more care/concern for an employee that dedicated over seven years.

6. "Catering"

Former Employee - Caterer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Caterer in Redmond, WA

Pros

Good benefits, nice people to work with.

Cons

Job descriptions are NOT clear upon hiring/training period. No clearly defined methods in place for advancement..

Advice to Management

Be more up front to the new-hires... they may stay longer.

7. "Not a badbplace to be to learn"

Former Employee - CSS in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - CSS in Redmond, WA

I worked at Compass Group USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You work with smart people for the most part. Good benefits. Depending on the group you are with there is a good opportunity for advancement. Get to work side by side with MS employees.

Cons

You're doing the same work as MS employees at a fraction of the pay. Upper management seemed to have no clue how to deal with our group. Reviews and salary raises system is archaic.

"So-So"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Compass Group USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Compaass for 4 years on the Microsoft account. I liked the people that i worked and i liked the work that we were contributing to Microsoft.

Cons

Our clients asked Compass group if we could expand to deliver global service. Compass declined and our group was removed from the contract.

Advice to Management

Poor. The leadership is poor.

"Not bad for the short-term, but get out soon!"

Current Employee - Event Planner in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Event Planner in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Compass Group USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlike many planning jobs, this one allows your schedule to be during normal business hours 99% of the time with the very occasional late evening or weekend event that requires you to be on site (a handful of times per year in my experience).

Cons

While the title is "Event Planner" a more accurate description would be "Event Data Entry." Occasionally you will be asked your opinion on menu items or furniture sets, but for the most part you just enter your customer's requests into the event management tool. Compass Event Planners aren't very highly regarded among the rest of the industry, so staying here too long could hurt your chances at finding a new job in the industry.

Advice to Management

Planners need to be recognized as individuals with different skills and talents so work-load can be distributed appropriately.

"Nightmare"

Former Employee - Briefing Services Coordinator in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Briefing Services Coordinator in Redmond, WA

I worked at Compass Group USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was employed for three years

Cons

Constant Harassment. Failed attempts to reach out to HR because they communicated everything to my manager. Fired for child illness. Lack of integrity, lack of honesty.

Advice to Management

Stop Micromanaging and let people thrive. Bringing people down doesn't help them work better.

11. "Lots of opportunity, but if you are not in the food sector - little support"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Compass Group USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company boasts an impressive range of contracts, Fortune 50 companies, Education, Military etc, so depending on your area there are lots of opportunities for growth

Cons

The company is food-centric, if you are not in food related role, such as IT, AV, Finance etc. then the company has little support for you. All the policies, raises, company communications are geared for kitchen staff. The company has the contracts in place where it could start pushing other services like Janitorial, Reception, AV, etc but is not activly pursuing this.

Advice to Management

Appoint a non-food business development leader to establish the for non-food related services at your existing contracts.