Compass Group USA Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Compass Group USA CEO Gary Green
Gary Green

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits, lots of growth opportunities" (in 31 reviews)

• "Supportive in all aspects including work life balance" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Awesome company!"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Recruiter in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Recruiter in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Compass Group USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After 2.5 years with the company, I am still just as energized, enthusiastic, & passionate about my job today as I was on Day 1. This will be the best "big little" company you'll ever work for. Compass Group, a HUGE global organization, has 28 different sectors and sub-sectors. You would be working for 1 of the sectors which feels like a small family owned and operated company. I have direct relationships with everyone from our hourly / front line associates to the CEO himself. In fact, I've been able to snag a few photos and mingle with Gary Green at several different events including the CCC at BB&T Ballpark and the PGA golf tournament at Quail Hollow. The people are what make Compass Group so special.

Cons

Working for a food & beverage company, you'll probably gain a couple pounds because the food is amazing and is always available & offered :)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! I love your creativity and innovativeness that keeps us ahead of our competition. Thank you for your strong leadership.

2. "Great company"

I have been working at Compass Group USA full-time

Pros

A lot of Room for growth

Cons

There is nothing I dislike

3. "Server"

I worked at Compass Group USA part-time

Pros

* Those in management and leadership roles are respectful and are genuinely helpful during the training process

Cons

It was not pressing but I felt lunch breaks could be a bit longer

4. "Good company"

Pros

Great place to work if you’re willing to work

Cons

Hours can be long at times

5. "Equal pay, Equal Opportunity should be for all."

Current Employee - Chef Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Chef Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Compass Group USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work hours, corporations you work for, experience to see other accounts. Work-life balance.

Cons

Not many minorities promoted in the kitchens. I've seen great experienced people leave due to low pay, environment, and no career advancement. I feel bad for them. Low pay, but high work conditions and standards. Alot of work for bottom of range pay. Managers coming to work drunk and/or hungover. Intimidating environment to lower level staff to get things done.

Advice to Management

Executive Chefs/ Chef Managers are to manage, not make others manage for them.

6. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Compass Group USA full-time

Pros

Benefits are ok. Not much to choose from but any benefits are good benefits in today's world. Summers off is nice

Cons

Managers are out for themselves and pretend to care about you. Two faced and always telling the same story about how there's room for growth but that's a bunch of bs. They don't let you move up or out. Constantly trying to burn you and the managers bosses are incompetent and just try to run the place through fear tactics instead of using proper managing techniques. Also too much favoritism. If you aren't kissing you know what you arent getting any help and need to constantly live in fear of being fired. Also pay is not in line with amount of work given. They don't replace employees that quit and expect you to do all the work instead even if it means running 5 different positions on your own. Had a worker die on us and they didnt even replace him or even put up a flyer in remembrance of the person. There's no sense of them actually caring about their workers. You're just a number to them.

Advice to Management

Do your job right and dont dump it on the people beneath you who arent getting paid for the amount of work you give. Also try actually caring about your employees. Corporate needs to actually investigate their locations to ensure that the people they put in charge are running operations properly. You're just getting ripped off with horrible management and the morale is going down the drain. Guarantee if you send people from corporate to investigate unbeknownst to management and directors you will find a thousand different infractions and cause to clear house and replace bad management. You're essentially lined up to lose big name contracts.

7. "Very corporate"

Current Employee - Catering Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Catering Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great benefits, lots of growth opportunities

Cons

Very corporate, dont know exactly what the goals are and as an employee you dont really have a voice to change things

Advice to Management

Give people a voice and accept change

8. "You better run away fast!"

I have been working at Compass Group USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and some free food is about all I can think of.

Cons

You are subject to being harassed, bullied, sexually assaulted, and retaliated against by upper management and when you speak out, it is your fault. Employees are badly mistreated. Students are taken advantage of and so are university organizations. If you want to be a part of a company that steals from the campuses they manage, this is the right place for you. If not, run as fast as you can!

Advice to Management

Throughout my time with Compass, I have saw the company let so many people go that are passionate and drivers for positive change, only to see people that are stealing from the company and the college campuses that Chartwells manages stay in their positions and get rewarded for their behavior. When you tell them, no one listens and you should really start!

9. "Purchasing director"

Former Employee - Regional Purchasing in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Regional Purchasing in Charleston, SC

I worked at Compass Group USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and people orientation with family First concepts.

Cons

Lots of traveling and job changes

Advice to Management

Consistency for job description

"Deceiving Company"

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Compass Group USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not many. Decent PTO is the only one that comes to mind.

Cons

I keep seeing a lot of unkept promises. Growth opportunity only seems to be at the account level, not at corporate. They feed you what you want to hear but there is no follow through.

Advice to Management

Don't let politics rule the company, realize which senior leaders are driving the company into the ground.