Compassion International Reviews | Glassdoor

Compassion International Reviews

Updated November 13, 2017

Jimmy Mellado

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Everyone works toward the same goal, which is releasing children from poverty in Jesus' name (in 18 reviews)

• The expressed common purpose of "releasing children from poverty in Jesus' name" is easy to grasp but is not evident at our headquarters (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be difficult (in 5 reviews)

• These growing pains are helping a 60 (in 5 reviews)

"Great Ministry"

I worked at Compassion International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful ministry! If you want to work for a purpose you have one at Compassion! Great benefits and they pride themselves on their work perks.

Cons

Compassion has a "culture" of walking on eggshells and not "making waves." If you have confrontation with someone else it's almost better to not bring it up and push it down. My boss didn't hire me after my temp was up because the other temp who wanted the job caused problems. I've tried to apply several times in the last year for the Same job I had as a temp and I get rejected every time. They also push networking because who you know and where helps get you back in. It was a stuffy clique of Christians if I ever saw one and certain christians aren't good enough for Comfort assign culture... whatever that is.

Advice to Management

Clean house. You have some dirty management there and hiring practices are really discriminating. Had a horrible experience with HR. My old boss told HR not to tell me or the other temp last year anything about the permanent position on our department. He waited until our last day to tell us we didn't fit in with "Compassion culture." Change your culture from discrimination and rejection to actual COMPASSION. As a result of not getting a job there after my temp was up my family went back into a really bad financial state and my old boss knew it.

"IT"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Ministry
    Wonderful leadership
    Flexibility of a startup in many areas
    If it benefits kids they will find a way to do it.
    They truly treat employees as family

Cons

Work/Life balance can be difficult
    They seem to screen out people for reasons that seem to me to be discrimination
    They are not open to people in public facing roles who are not visually appealing.
    It can be a little exclusive in their attitudes. Our disabled friend applied more than 100 times and once they found out he was disabled they never even called his references. He know works in a similar role for a Fortune 100 company and is doing great there. I think Compassion can be hard for people who are not traditional types of candidates to be considered. I would not recommend disabled people or those with involuntary absences from the workforce apply here. They will not fairly consider you

Advice to Management

Think outside the box more often and seek to see the value and potential in non-traditional people.
    Keep praying
    Keep serving

3. "Great Mission"

Pros

Great mission of child sponsorship

Cons

Alot of people working evenings, weekends, vacation, and holidays to keep with the large amount of work

"Needs work"

Pros

Great cause. Great program strategy. Many good things about working at Compassion.

Cons

Overly competitive culture often causes individuals and teams to compete with each other for credit and prominence. Very hierarchical culture leads to top leaders being over-rewarded. Overemphasis on growth and numbers make this ministry feel more like a commercial business.

Advice to Management

Be more modest and humble. Don't overstate the percentage of donations that are used for "direct" child program ministries. Find a way to reduce the hierarchy system--this doesn't seem compatible with the character and teachings of Christ.

"Great Mission, needs better leadership"

I have been working at Compassion International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission, co-workers, good work-life balance, fair compensation for a non-profit

Cons

Lack of communication, lack of direct engagement with leadership, bureaucracy and inability to get decisions from leaders

Advice to Management

Use the talent you have instead of always hiring consultants

"Wondering when..."

I have been working at Compassion International full-time

Pros

We care deeply about Compassion

Cons

Please Please...Answer the question below

Advice to Management

Wondering when the Leadership Team will finally lead by example in this...GET members that I admire seek openness and transparency. Yet...the Big Secret remains. Staff cannot participate in the Willow Creek Summit. An incredible staff development opportunity, one where last year, get 500 employees participated at Satellite locations...yet this year.."no...go at your own cost...must take personal time off to do it."
    This event that has been so beneficial...that was facilitated by our own President...suddenly, the entire organization is expected to say...OK...so the event, that we actively participated in for the last 12 years...and has been so encouraging and helpful to staff...is now off limits.
    Someone...Jimmy, The GET, The Board needs to provide an explanation.
    I don't want to accuse...please understand that. Leadership has no right to ask for trust of the staff if they are not willing to be open and honest with us.

"Used to be a great place to work, now it's just average."

Former Employee - Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Compassion International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compelling mission, nice office, probably more good managers than not.

Cons

Too many layers in the structure. Managers with a few direct reports, reporting to senior managers with one direct report, reporting to a director, senior director, vice president, senior vice president. People assigned to the special project but trying to manage their "regular" job and not doing that very well. Management out of touch with the worker bees. I remember when former president Wess Stafford knew everyone's name.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at who is actually doing the work. These people have good ideas. Invest as much $ and effort into your people as you invest in outside consultants, Gallup, etc.

"Regional Sales Director"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Director

I worked at Compassion International full-time

Pros

Amazing mission with a great deal of financial integrity as a nonprofit. Home-based position provided flexible work environment. Overall, colleagues are very kind and generally helpful. Overall an average work environment. Great healthcare and retirement benefits. Pay is good for nonprofit.

Cons

Senior leadership thought very highly of themselves and were not connected or honestly engaged at lower levels. Lots of red tape and very hierarchical. This was discouraging for growth or desire to grow past a certain level. Sales leadership only cares about the numbers and revenue. Sales team always travels and poor work-life balance. Leadership is obsessed with nearly impossible growth and will push and push team to limits. Ensure the mission is worth the pay cut and don't expect a different culture from your for-profit sales role just because its a nonprofit. Just don't expect a big bonus for exceeding goals.

Advice to Management

Look at your leadership and get rid of unethical leaders and/or lazy leadership. The mission is too important to overlook known problems.

"Compelling mission, opportunities to improve"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission is tremendously compelling.

Cons

Functional leadership needs to improve, among other.

10. "Review"

I have been working at Compassion International full-time

Pros

Passionate about poverty and children

Cons

Went through layoffs this last month