Compassion International Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 10, 2017

4.0
Jimmy Mellado

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Everyone works toward the same goal, which is releasing children from poverty in Jesus' name (in 16 reviews)

• This company is committed to helping other people around the world who are struggling to meet the basic necessities of living (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be difficult (in 5 reviews)

• Lack of communication, lack of direct engagement with leadership, bureaucracy and inability to get decisions from leaders (in 3 reviews)

1. "Ministry Focus with real people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Everyone understands the vision, supports it and wants to have an impact in it. Good benefits.

Cons

Lots of meetings, even though it's a ministry we have real people who disagree on how things should be done, this can cause individuals to disengage when they shouldn't

Advice to Management

Be more visible to staff, not just once a quarter.

2. "A Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong Christian values, meaningful work, excellent facilities and benefits, opportunities to work with international staff, improving infrastructure, management is typically interested in staff as people and works to lead them and develop them well

Cons

Some problems with bureaucracy, lack of international staff at headquarters and in decision-making positions, lack of diversity in senior management, tendency to take on more projects than can be accomplished at one time

"Great Mission & People - Leadership Needs Work and Prayer"

Former Employee - Human Resources Systems Support in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Human Resources Systems Support in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Compassion International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Each employee knows the impact their contribution makes on releasing children from poverty. The org does a great job of internally communicating mission.

Cons

Managers and directors are often not who they portray themselves to be. I left because my boss wanted me to break the law in relation to HIPPA. Knowing internal practices it's likely I was marked non-rehire-able by him before he was fired for misconduct. Often employees are made miserable by terrible leaders micromanaging them.

Advice to Management

End the politics, consider having leadership raise their own support like a missionary. Executives with 6-figure salaries are not compatible with poverty elimination organizations.

4. "Training Specialist"

Current Employee - Training Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Training Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International (More than a year)

Pros

Great work Place. Would Recommend

Cons

Few Itches, which are manageable

5. "SDP"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Compassion International (Less than a year)

Pros

Compassion International has a great mission and there are a ton of great people working at the Global Ministry Center.

Cons

I don't know that I have a lot of "cons." There is a lot of transition, and with transition comes challenges. It's a big organization and it takes longer to move big organizations.

Advice to Management

Make sure that managers have appropriate training. It seems like managers are put into roles they aren't equipped to execute.

"Great please to work for some"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Compassion International as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits for the nonprofit sector
    - Friendly coworkers
    - Opportunities to grow and move up
    - Travel opportunities to cool places around the world
    - You get to help kids :)

Cons

- Pretty Bureautic
    - Some internal politics (as with any workplace)
    - Small appetite for innovation
    - Not as community-oriented as one might think

Advice to Management

Engage the employee base in innovation-oriented workshops.

"Enter at your level of proficiency"

Former Employee - Holistic Staff Development in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Holistic Staff Development in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Compassion International (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unbelievable benefits, mission orientation, great leadership in GLO, CEO

Cons

Some mini kingdoms inside. Limited upward mobility; your title could limit your growth.

Advice to Management

Find a way to keep good people!

"Effective Program, but management can be a problem."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Compassion International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The program is very effective at poverty alleviation, and that means a lot. Financial stewardship is taken seriously. The new President has only been there for about 18 months, and it seems like he still has a lot of plans to improve things.

Growth remains strong, and the benefits are great, especially for a nonprofit organization. This makes up some for the below market salaries. How much money do you really need?

The main U.S. Headquarters is in Colorado Springs, which is fantastic.

There are good things about the culture, but there is a lot of petty dysfunction as well.

I do really like working here, but there are some real issues. Maybe not make or break problems, but enough to to keep me busy.

Cons

Senior management can be so out of your and insulated from reality. A lot of senior VPs have left with the transition to a new president, but they really should get rid of a few more, especially the one in charge of GSS. He's terrible in more ways than one.

The new CEO came in a made some excellent changes at the executive level and did some great reorganization. But so far, the single line authority, accountability transformation has not filtered to my level of the company. I hope it will, but a lot of these executives just don't get it.

I'm optimistic that some of these problems will be resolved eventually.

HR is a mess. I work with them a lot, and while some of the incompetent people have been fired, not all of them have. Recruiting is great, but the others operate in cover thy butt mode too much to be of any help. Their favorite topic is how terrible millennials are.

Outside of the global program I see lots of dysfunctional and very outdated management practices.

Most of the senior managers don't know how to be vulnerable or approachable enough to hear what their staff really thinks. There are a lot of people who have gotten so used to being right they can't tell when they have drifted out of their expertise.

Conflict is avoided.

Accountability tends to be very rare and then when it happens it will be extreme.

A lot of senior people got their jobs here before Compassion started growing a lot and would probably never have gotten them now. Meh.

Real talk: I don't know if I would recommend this place to millennials. Or to liberal people. It is pretty stuck in the mud conservative most of the time.

Advice to Management

Seriously. Saying hi in the bathroom doesn't count as getting to know people. You don't have that many second level reports, you should really talk to me sometime

If no one ever complains to you about anything then you are part of the problem and people don't feel they can trust you to fix it.

"An amazing organization going through some growing pains"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Compassion International full-time

Pros

The mission of Compassion is astounding. Their business model of partnering with the local Church to lift children out of poverty is not only inspiring, it is Biblical.

Cons

The organization has undergone significant growth over the last 10 years, and organizational maturity has struggled to keep up with the demands of rapid growth.

Advice to Management

Do not be afraid of bringing in top-tier talent to achieve on the organizational change needed to support the growing ministry. Embrace organizational maturity while not losing focus on the underlying Biblical principles that define who you are. Embrace technology, but only to the point that it serves the mission. Stay off the bleeding edge of technology. Discard anything that is not your core competency.

"Great Christian mission"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Compassion International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and competitive pay for a Christian non-profit.

Cons

Lot's of change of direction from middle leadership