Compete, Inc Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Scott Ernst

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Analyst"

I worked at Compete, Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people, great energy and social aspects. We have lots of events in and out of the office.

Cons

Could have more clarity around business goals and direction.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating, more the bestter

2. "The Walking Dead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Compete, Inc (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly. Reasonable working hours with little overtime. Good team approach. Many social events, which were popular among employees, though not of interest to me.

Cons

Management had unrealistic expectations of the market and what the company could deliver, which lead to the company downfall. This was not just a problem of Compete, but also of the parent company MillwardBrown

Advice to Management

Don't switch company goals every 6 months. Also more planning is need as too many initiatives were started and then dropped, or unrealistic in the first place.

3. "Great place to work, get trained"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Compete, Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They train you very well. I came in with no formal relevant experience and very little informal experience, and they trained me in all the coding skills I needed.
    They're a very flexible work environment. I arrive when I feel like it between 9 and 10 and leave about 8 hours after that. I sometimes work from home. As long as you get your work done, they don't really care how you get it done.
    Scott seems like a good CEO. Apparently people didn't like the previous guy. But Scott's cool. Very, very smart, sharp.

Cons

Bosses are a bit distant. Because they give me the distance and flexibility needed to get my job done, I sometimes feel like my boss doesn't really see my work, so I worry about future references. But I guess it'll get better if I spend more time there? Let's see how it plays out.

Advice to Management

Spend more time getting to know the lower employees. You do a good job of giving us a good work environment. Just make sure that you know us enough to recommend us for the next work environment!

4. "Don't Get Why Everyone Complains; Oh, It's Glassdoor."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Compete, Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. We have a great place to come to work every day with a positive leadership team, positive
         managers, and whatever support we need.
    2. The Executives are busy, but when available, they have an open door for every single
        employee. Possibly employees might be fearful of walking into an Executives office - that
        could be addressed.
    3. We have an amazing work-life balance. I'm not sure where everyone else has worked, but I am still the last person in the office at 7:30pm other than leadership. On Fridays, 4pm starts social hour. Yes, we all work very hard, have lots of pressure to deliver, and might have to do some work at home, but I guarantee there will be NO better situation anywhere else you go, no matter what someone tells you during a recruiting process. Feel free to risk it.
    4. How could we work with a better group of people? The people at Compete - MBD are amazing. Intelligent. Everyone brings something unique to the table.

Cons

1. People complain about things that begin to spread, and therefore, other people start to think the same thing. Instead of spreading things - call an open forum. We all know how open our Exec team is. It's simple - stop whining and own your own career. We, as employees, have the power to make the company a better place.
    2. The mergers have slowed innovation from what WE see, but that won't remain for long. This didn't happen to keep innovation at bay. Why don't we start a conversation that matters?
    3. People leaving is hard, understandably most of them have been with the company over 4+ years, which is great tenure.

Advice to Management

For management, an open forum, but not so open to enable unreasonable questions.
    For the rest of everyone spreading less-than-positive statements: here's a challenge, check out people who've left Compete in the past, and watch their tenure when they were here, and then their tenure after they leave here.
    I'll leave you with this: "What you think, you become. What you feel, you attract. What you imagine, you create." How about we take our wonderful company and make it energetic and inspirational like it should be - sans negativity.

"Not all has been lost but I'm worried about the direction we're headed"

Current Employee - Client Services in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Client Services in Boston, MA

I have been working at Compete, Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefit package and some perks, flexibility that help ease the demanding workload (work remote, summer flex hours). Fun social events each month. Good location and office space. Some great colleagues to learn from - everyone in the Boston office loves to learn and is open to sharing knowledge. Challenging projects and big name clients to gain experience working with. Unique data and methodology. Ability to work with other Millward Brown colleagues across a variety of offices and disciplines.

Cons

Since our merger with Millward Brown, the company has continued to lose focus, coherent direction and more importantly, the drive and passion for innovation. I get the sense that some of the folks we merged with don't have the same sense of innovation or startup hunger that originally drew me to Compete.

The company doesn't feel organized anymore. Morale has declined, day to day challenges have increased, and upper management has become disconnected. There are too many cooks in the kitchen and an unclear sense of leadership in the areas that truly matter.

I don't feel like my voice is heard anymore - upper management will smile and nod then not provide the support or change that is needed. Case in point: we have taken numerous satisfaction surveys and seen negative results. A number of initiatives were put in place to improve those weak areas; However, I have yet to really see action and execution. It's as effective as having a meeting about a meeting. There are a lot of idea generators in upper management but minimal impactful follow through has yet to be demonstrated. I know they mean well, but I feel like nothing gets a 100% attention that is needed from start to finish before moving on to whatever's next on their agenda.

We've been losing talented minds, more often than not because they are sick of dealing with it everyday... And quite frankly, there are plenty of other innovative companies with competitive packages to choose from in the city. I don't blame them for leaving, as I often wonder when it'll be my time to look for what's next. I am working really hard, pushing to innovate, pushing to make a difference, but it feels like a drop in the bucket more often than not. I haven't completely lost faith yet, but I am no longer turning away recruiters and will occasionally poke around to see what else is out there.

All that said, we NEED talented minds and innovators so please do not be discouraged if you're considering employment here. These current issues can change with the right people in place. The Boston office is small enough (100-150) that some solid hires can make a big difference.

Advice to Management

We need passionate innovators coming in, and for those already here we need to be reminded of that core value. Not everyone from the other companies has that same drive - we need to push for it. The fact that not everyone on the other offices is eager to learn behavioral research solutions -- or better yet, sits through training presentations and still don't know how to speak to it -- is concerning. How will we survive if 2/3 of the MBD company doesn't have a solid understanding of what we do?

Have more of a presence in the office. Listen to your people, make a game plan for change and actually follow through. A satisfaction survey without the follow up is worthless and a waste of my time to be honest.

Give employees incentive to stay. Reward passion and innovation and the desire to keep pushing towards improvement. Right now it seems everyone is either trying to stay afloat or just punching in, punching out. That is not a breeding ground for innovation. It also shouldn't feel like going to battle when you push for a raise (even an inflation raise) or promotion. Again, give employees a reason to stay.

6. "Company going downhill fast"

I worked at Compete, Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location and friendly co-workers

Cons

management has no vision/strategy to move forward. zero communication from HR. CEO is absent from the scene. No culture to be proud of.

Advice to Management

Stop managing by the spreadsheet

7. "Was an innovative company. Now they're just steering the ship."

Former Employee - Full-time Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Full-time Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Compete, Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart, energetic people. Decent benefits. Great location in Boston. Provides a product that truly does provide value to customers.

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth. Not ideal to work for a company that mines the data of people. Mass exodus of talented employees. CEO isn't somebody who should be running a tech company.

Advice to Management

Would be great to have true culture-building events.

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Client Services Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Client Services Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Compete, Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location of the company is great, right in central Boston, which makes commuting very convenient. Worked with some fun and intelligent people, who truly have great ideas.

Cons

Management is absolutely of no help, and unresponsive to employee needs. Also, communication is lacking to the point that no one even knows when an employee has left the position! Work demands are very high, and company seems to be purely sales driven with complete disregard to employee morale.

Advice to Management

Start really caring about the well being of your employees, and not just spew out a bunch of hot air. HR and upper management should take a good hard look at how poorly the company is being run, and take immediate steps to rectify the situation before more people jump ship. Word of mouth is strong in Boston, and soon no one will want to work for this sub par company if things don't change for the better.

9. "Good job to start out of school that teaches employable tools and skills useful for future endeavors."

Current Employee - Client Services Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Client Services Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Compete, Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, young work place.
    Nice office space in downtown Boston.
    Good place to start building tech tools (scripting, data visualization, etc.)

Cons

Very sales driven, without much care for project feasibility.
    Work demands are sometimes unrealistically high.
    Project based work is often month-based and creates a strong sense of routine.

Advice to Management

Variable depending on the team. Good opportunities for growth, but there is a definitely a sense of bureaucracy.

"Compete was great before acquisition when the leadership changed. Now the company lacks solid leadership."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Compete, Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location is great. Smart, fun people in general work for Compete. Products are interesting.

Cons

A big culture shift happened at Compete several years ago after Don McLagan left as CEO and the VP of Sales took over as CEO. The company, when Mr. McLagan was CEO was on the right track. Employees were happy, upper management listened to their teams, the company was doing well, teams were motivated, morale was high.

After Scott Ernst (former Sales VP) took the helm, a sad change occurred at the upper management level. Upper management became very cut-throat and was/is generally unsupportive of mid-management and staff.

When the company initiated an anonymous survey to all employees to assess the happiness level of employees, the results were very bad and the Exec team was surprised (the rest of the employees were not). As a result, the Exec team coordinated a management training seminar which all managers attended but the company failed to follow through and fully implement lessons learned from the seminar, thus resulting in "still bad" management and unsatisfied employees whose needs are ignored and days are overworked. Employees voices often go unheard.

I would caution people from working here unless you like tough sales-mentality-like management and expectations that you will often work extra hours and weekends.

Advice to Management

Listen to your teams and truly act upon their advice. Stop pretending to listen.