Compton Unified School District Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Compton Unified School District Acting Superintendent Karen Frison
Karen Frison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "What about the students????"

Current Employee - Teacher in Compton, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Compton, CA

I have been working at Compton Unified School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having the chance to make a difference, flexible hours, good pay and benefits. Also, having weekends off and most local and major holidays off as well.

Cons

School politics, favoritism, dealing with unmotivated students, disinterested parents and unsupportive administrators. Summers off without getting paid unless you do summer school, lots of grading lol.

Advice to Management

Focus more on the students and treat teachers with the respect they deserve.

2. "Lowest Paid"

I worked at Compton Unified School District full-time

Pros

You will undoubtedly meet quite a few dedicated staff, that cares about the struggles the kids in these schools face economically and socially. There are many that put in extra hours and money out of pocket -- both classified and certificated staff.

Cons

For every dedicated teacher, there is a paycheck teacher who does the bare minimum. CUSD has the lowest paid classified staff, and yet the hardest working. Many classified staff wear multiple hats due to other positions being cut. Positions were cut, but not the responsibilities. CUSD has saved money by putting an entire job duty onto someone else's shoulders.

There is also a divide and conquer culture. Classified is separated by different union representation. Certificated and classified are in the same family, yet the prevailing attitude is "Us and Them" when it really should be a "WE."

Advice to Management

The leaders of the district has themselves looking good on paper, but in reality, we are crumbling. No money to pay classified staff to do necessary work, but there is money to pay for 3 people to get their PhDs, and one of whom is rumored to already put in his resignation. Pay us for what we are worth which is a whole lot more than what we are getting. Give us the hours to do the work we need. Stop sending us memos that we are to work for comp time, because comp time does not pay the bills. Give us the proper resources to work. Give the teachers the proper resources to teach these children who deserve more. Bravo to Compton to looking like we save money, we shine on paper, and yet are drowning in reality. STOP wasting these kids education by offering almost NO electives at the middle school. Do school visits. Many schools have FAKE classes. Kids get a grade for class, that in actuality, is a free period, where students are doing whatever they want. To keep good staff you need to pay them what they are worth. People are leaving left and right. Money is falling into someone's pocket. Good luck with Dr. Dre's 10 million dollar donation. Do NOT take the lowball bid and take years to finish the new Compton High. These kids deserve better than that.

3. "District Admin"

I worked at Compton Unified School District full-time

Pros

Good sense of purpose to support at risk children

Cons

Administration and staff not always professional

4. "Disorganized"

Former Employee - Middle School Teacher
    Former Employee - Middle School Teacher

I worked at Compton Unified School District full-time

Pros

Absolutely loved working with the kids

Cons

The district is disorganized and make it difficult for teachers to be successful

Advice to Management

Be open to a alternative views and perspectives to ensure that the decisions you make are actually prioritizing the needs of the students.

5. "Tooo Stessful"

I worked at Compton Unified School District part-time

Pros

Love working with kids

Cons

Limited resources and not enough assistance with the children because we were short staffed.

Advice to Management

Provide better training and don't do things at the last minute.

6. "Teacher"

Pros

The teachers are very motivated to ensure quality education. The district is doing its best to make sure all schools are a California Distinguished School. The students work hard to receive lesson input.

Cons

You pay some part of your benefits

Advice to Management

Dr. Ajala is doing great! I believe she should be the next Superintendent.

7. "College tutor for an school district"

Pros

Great starter job for any college student. Starting pay was excellent for any first-time tutor. A good selection of schools to chooses from. Have the option of picking the school placement site.

Cons

Conditions of some of the schools. Surrounding neighborhoods can be unsafe.

Advice to Management

Offer more options for college students to have a starting job for education.

8. "Frustrating"

I have been working at Compton Unified School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Comradery. We are all in the same struggle. SOME of the people I work with have the best work ethic I've ever seen.

Cons

Nepotism in the higheer echelon of the district. No rewards for doing excellent work. Some jobs require summer hours, but without summer pay -- such employees are offered PTO as compensation, but PTO doesn't pay the bills. Parent participation is low. Some schools don't have a community liaison which makes it hard to reach out to parents. Some jobs were previously 2 or 3 separate jobs with other people working those jobs. NOW, many of those positions have been cut and those duties assigned to someone else, who has to wear many hats during the course of the day. These workers, with multiple hats to wear, are still only getting paid for the ONE job they originally had.

Advice to Management

Something has to change. Money needs to stop going into the pockets of the higher ups and into the bank accounts of the backbone of this district. People are leaving. Students are leaving. Many subs have been hired by other school districts. Treat your workers right and the job will not just be done, but people will likely go above and beyond. Students will feel the difference and will not leave our district. Employees who work for CUSD but still qualify for government assistance is a sign that YOU, the management, are NOT doing enough!

9. "School district?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Compton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Compton, CA

I have been working at Compton Unified School District (More than 10 years)

Pros

Civil service job good benefits

Cons

Bad management. low moral culture of failure not success

10. "Compton school policies"

Former Employee - Middle School Teacher in Compton, CA
    Former Employee - Middle School Teacher in Compton, CA

I worked at Compton Unified School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Follows state testing to a certain point

Cons

There are too many inconsistencies with the school policies, there is no one standard that is applied equally to all. Does not follow policy of zero tolerance for drug , vandalism, or fighting/bullying set at start of school year. If you don't play the game on campus it is hard to get support from administration.

Advice to Management

Should follow policies if has established or don't put them out at all. Support teacher in discipline for students, and follow policies that back teachers for conferences with parents.