CompuCom Reviews in Redmond, WA | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CompuCom Chief Executive Officer Dan Stone
Dan Stone

Pros
  • Occasionally can work from home (in 39 reviews)

• Decent paycheck, work life balance (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • mediocre pay; no raises; when I started with the company, overtime was plentiful (in 121 reviews)

• Rampart favoritism, no merit/yearly/cost of living raises (in 38 reviews)

"Excellent vendor and recruiting follow through"

Former Employee - Design Researcher in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Design Researcher in Redmond, WA

I worked at CompuCom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CompuCom has excellent recruiters who follow through on their committments to match positions to experience. The recruiters and managers are proactive in assisting with new positions rather than waiting until the very end of contracts and are also clear communicators

Cons

There appears to be a limited number of positions in local companies and a large pool of candidates with the agency. Insurance benefits are fair at best, though they are available.

Advice to Management

Seek more local companies for collaboration and maket the up-side of having vendors.

2. "Supported me on my contract"

Former Contractor - STE in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - STE in Redmond, WA

I worked at CompuCom as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Dedicated contact that worked with me while on project.
    Local company
    Had in-house business as well as contract work.

Cons

There isn't any real Con I can think of, other than my relationship with this company was only necessary to work on the project. There was no long term connection.

Advice to Management

It would have been nice to know there was a path beyond the current project. While working here, CompuCom was just the company that paid me while I worked on a project for the client company. I did like having a primary contact that kept in touch with my work at the client. Over-all my experience with this company was good.

"CompuCom Takes good Care of Employees"

Current Contractor - Consulting Technical Specialist in Redmond, WA
    Current Contractor - Consulting Technical Specialist in Redmond, WA

I have been working at CompuCom as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and pay are generally best of market. Company has broad resources for employees. Recruiters do a good job of finding the right fit for the employee and the client both.

Cons

Service level agreements are not always well defined. Reviews are informal and there is no set rate increases.

Advice to Management

Salaries should be re-negotiated each fiscal year for long term assignments.

5. "Good Benefits and support"

Former Contractor - AREA PROGRAM MANAGER in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - AREA PROGRAM MANAGER in Redmond, WA

I worked at CompuCom as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, including a 401K match. IT support - they provide you with equipment so you don't have to use your own. Account managers stay in touch with you at least once a month and give you great support while you are on a contract.

Cons

recruiters and account managers need to stay in close contact with consultants coming off of a contract- would help retain the value of that consultant

Advice to Management

Encourage recruiters and account managers to stay in close contact with consultants coming off of a contract- would help retain the value of that consultant

"CompuCom"

Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Redmond, WA

I worked at CompuCom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CompuCom will tend to not expect much from you in terms of meeting with your handler regularly or undergoing evaluations. This was great for a 1 year gig as I preferred to do my work and not be pulled into check-ins or performance reviews with anyone at CompuCom.

Cons

CompuCom tends to take a higher percentage of a position's bill rate that other vendor companies. While I preferred the hands off approach of the CompuCom account team it does tend to making you feel like a commodity rather than an employee.

Advice to Management

More transparency on bill rate ratios similar to other vendor companies. More of a focus on treating the employees as part of the company.

"Excessive overhead, largely hands off"

Former Contractor - Hardware Test Engineer III in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Hardware Test Engineer III in Redmond, WA

I worked at CompuCom as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked on a client site and loved my job. I moved to another contracting company working for the same client after the client restructured how they award vendor contracts

Cons

Excessive overhead eats up too much of the bill rate. Working the same title for the same client with a different vendor company will likely get you more money. Insurance is more expensive than buying your own through the insurance exchange. All benefits are charged as reduced hourly rate. If you work overtime, you overpay for benefits.

Advice to Management

Cut overhead, pay more attention to what was once a substantial customer in Redmond.

"No opportunity for advancement"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager At Msft in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager At Msft in Redmond, WA

Pros

Great way to get a foot in the door and pick up experience as a contractor or vendor at MSFT. They have a good reputation with MSFT managers.

Cons

No opportunity for meaningful pay increase even if you outperform and take on more opportunity. You have to leave your contract and take another to even Keep up with inflation. Pay is lower than other vendor companies. Compucom takes a bigger cut than other companies so they pay less. They will do NOTHING for you between contracts, but will block you from going to another vendor firm.

"Meh."

Former Employee - Technical PM in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Technical PM in Redmond, WA

Pros

Had some great recruiters / reps.

Cons

All of the good recruiters / reps left pretty quickly.
    Very little effort to find you another position when your current contract was ending. Recruiters told me to go find positions and bring to them, which made me wonder what they were taking a percentage of my earnings for.

"TA2"

Current Contractor - Software Test Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Contractor - Software Test Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at CompuCom as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The HR and payroll dept are pretty much on top of things and quickly resolved any issue I had quickly. My project manager was very responsive to emails and willing to help.

Cons

Pay is terrible, CompuCom takes about 50% of your pay. If you would like any "additional benefits" such as paid holidays or health insurance, you have to take a pay cut for that. If I had full benefits, I would be earning $0.06 over minimum wage, pretty bad for a level 2 position. I also feel like my PM was overworked and so was unable to help me find work or even keep the details straight. Additionally, there is almost no way I can progress my career working for CompuCom. Every job I applied to while I was still under my initial contract was denied me for "lack of experience" even though they were entry level jobs which I was more than qualified for. Perhaps this is a misperception on my part, but I felt as though my career is being hindered in order for them to hold on to a steady payout from me. I have also not received any feedback (positive or negative) from CompuCom. I know I have been doing well at the company I am contracting with, yet any form of increased compensation seems to be out of the question.

Advice to Management

Stop pinching every penny out of your human capital, the contractors are the reason you have a business, so stop trying to profit from them as well as from the companies you contract with.

"Not Just Sour Grapes"

Former Contractor - Support Analyst in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Support Analyst in Redmond, WA

I worked at CompuCom as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty average when it comes to the positives. Always got paid on time and professional development reimbursement plan is fair to midland ($500 per year).

Cons

No feedback from the resource manager, positive OR negative. I had to find out through a former lead years after-the-fact that a previous client manager had been angry about something I had done and was looking to have my contract terminated. Never heard a word from my vendor rep, never was given any feedback for improvement. If your contract IS terminated for a non-obvious reason, do not expect to be given a reason. None of this is very surprising once you know that the sum total of my rep's (who replaced a very competent recruiter one year into my contract) relevant professional experience had been an MBA and a two-year contract as a project manager.

The company has a non-compete clause which could put you out of contract work for six months if they cannot find a placement for you, which is ironic since they will do NOTHING for you after your contract ends except show you the door. Pay rates are very low compared to other contract agencies - they take a huge chunk of your pay and the benefits offered have become almost worthless. No empathy for employees and I felt entirely disposable, like a commodity rather than an employee.

There is absolutely no worthwhile communication after you sign on the dotted line.

Advice to Management

Treat your agency temps fairly and with empathy, like people, not products. We are the ones doing the job while you get a chunk of our pay. Act as an advocate for your employees (contractors) instead of for your clients. Encourage the recruiters to make more effort to retain existing contractors. CompuCom takes a sizable percentage of one's hourly rate, so I would expect CompuCom to work a little harder for their money than they are.

Showing 10 of 1,279 reviews