Compugen (Canada) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Harry Zarek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is the opportunity to work from home which provides flexibility (in 12 reviews)

• Great people scattered throughout the company (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • These all negatively affect the overall work-life balance dynamic and having any real sense of certainty or job security (in 4 reviews)

• Final decisions made from upper management before implementation is done (in 5 reviews)

1. "HR"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Compugen (Canada) (Less than a year)

Pros

good business direction and momentum

Cons

weak communication, weak career planning

"Accounts Payable Clerk"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Markham City, IL
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Markham City, IL

I worked at Compugen (Canada) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice office setting, good co workers, latest technology, easy commute, nice benefits

Cons

Bad Management, watched over the shoulder, controlling, no advancement, bad holidays

Advice to Management

Listen, listen, listen!

"Excellent employee!"

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Sault Ste. Marie, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Sault Ste. Marie, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Compugen (Canada) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people! Great wages! Great culture! People are friendly and helpful. From top to bottom people are genuinely happy to help you out and happy you are working there. Very positive work environment. Good work/life balance.

Cons

May be required to be on call but it is manageable.

"Too much focus on the bottom line, not customers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I worked at Compugen (Canada) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some flexibility to work from home

Cons

Everything at Compugen is sales and short term profit driven. You will be underpaid and asked to manage and implement technologies that are wrong for the customer but make the sales guys's quotas. The company is in slow decline, with the few technically talented employees hanging out for more than a couple years.

"Inside Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anjou, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anjou, QC (Canada)

I worked at Compugen (Canada) full-time

Pros

Dynamic work environment where employees and customers matter. Well managed and always looking for ways to improve its offering and portfolio of skills and expertise.

Cons

Salaries in the lower bracket of what the market dictates currently.

6. "nice work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)

Pros

It is a great place to work , co-workers are nice . they can work form home

Cons

sometimes my working desk not clean

Advice to Management

your company has strong leadership

"I was one their superstar technicians. Here are my thoughts."

Former Employee - Technical Services Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Technical Services Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Compugen (Canada) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started off in the warehouse in Richmond Hill and worked my way up so there are a few career opportunities if you don't suck. Like others mentioned it can be a good place to start a career.

As a tech, my schedule was flexible, but If I didn't work, I didn't get hours. No hours, no pay.

I met some great people and formed good friendships.

Barely interacted with my bosses (chances are you will have a bunch). I liked this because it gives you some freedom and no micromanagement.

Got to travel a lot. Saw most of Ontario. Different office almost everyday.

Cons

Overworked because they are always short staffed.

Underpaid because they don't value you. Record profits year after year but looking at my pay stubs, I can't seem to find the yearly increase, not even for cost of living.
    New employees will always get paid more, so should I have quit and then reapplied?
    I've personally known of two coworkers who asked to get a well-deserved raise but have been denied. Shame.

Full time opportunities were dangled in front of the contractors like a carrot.

Culture can be terrible, depending on what team/group your in, rumors spread fast.

I've had meetings on Friday nights in the past.

Horrible mileage policy for techs on the road. They are some of the hardest working, but they still get shafted.

Working with stoned co-workers, onsite at a clients location, like come on. Not the brightest bunch sometimes and there are a few characters.

Lack of ANY benefits as a contractor. After becoming full time, lack of RRSP matching stood out.

Corporate events? Maybe once a year for Christmas, at the same venue as the previous years because they lack creativity.

You will probably have more if you're on the sales team, they seem to be the most "privileged" from what I can tell, taking out clients to golf games, hockey games, etc and getting hammered with them all on Compugen's dime. I remember they wanted to do something nice for our team once, give us some gift cards or passes to local events, because we were doing so well at horrible clients location, but that fell through. I wonder why? I bet they forgot about us, or just didn't care to follow up. They only want to look good in the eyes of their clients.

No exit interview even after requested, because once again, no one cares. I tried to contact payroll after I left because I had some questions, got them on the phone and thought they would look into my issue, weeks later there is still no answer, no follow up, and they're ignoring me.
    I wasn't a disgruntled employee, so this just leaves me dumbfounded and ticked off.

No swag, like ever. I've seen the golf shirts and hats with branding, but I guess no one likes sharing.

Training is kept to a minimum with a few classes here and there with some pizza but a lot of people in the tech industry cheat on their exams to get the certs anyway.

For a leading tech company, the computer equipment they hand out to employees is kind of a joke.

Lots of office politics at the higher up levels, I saw it, I felt it trickle down. Not cool.

Advice to Management

I don't have advice to management, but to people looking, go elsewhere. There are many companies out there that will treat you right. If your hardworking and have pride and passion in what you do, you deserve a better environment to succeed and follow your dreams. Don't let anyone ever tell you "no"!

"Help Desk"

I have been working at Compugen (Canada) full-time

Pros

Good for a stepping stone. Average employer, nothing outstanding and just giving employees their basic help.

Cons

Employees are just considered as numbers, once you have been there for a while you will be let and no performance review or salary increase. Low Morale, poor management, pay under market value, Poor management decision are made and lots of favoritism and Not too friendly environment. No area to increase learning and over worked.

Advice to Management

Hire manger who value employees opinions and stop hiring your own friends there is a lot of good talent out there. Start looking outsider the box.

"Honour of position but hard work, low reward, unsupportive management"

Former Employee - Product Support Analyst in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Product Support Analyst in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)

I worked at Compugen (Canada) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home, respectful position, some flexibility in working hours, decent benefits, strong company vision/ dynamic CEO

Cons

Lack of support or engagement from management vis-a-vis client complaints/issues and sometimes a stressful work environment; career path which is promised does not materialize; incompetent, disinterested or inexperienced supervisors/managers on campaigns; some employee tools were not user friendly

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and team members (value and respect their ideas and feedback), place qualified people in charge of managing important projects/accounts

"Poor Managment"

I worked at Compugen (Canada) full-time

Pros

Average employer, nothing outstanding, employee is not considered the heart and soul of the organization, employee is viewed as a number.

Cons

= Too many layers of management.
    = Old school methodologies.
    = Poor management decisions.
    = Not too friendly environment.

Advice to Management

Need to be more open-minded with employee performance assessment.
    Need to come down from the top of the tree and see employees from ground level as well