Computer Aid Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Computer Aid President Tony Salvaggio
Tony Salvaggio

Pros
  • Work timing flexibility thus Work Life Balance (in 9 reviews)

• As it relates to the work environment, there is a lot of good things happening on this front as well (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, no executive guidance, can not stray from a matching suit although clients did, unethical (in 6 reviews)

• there are no CONS for this company (in 5 reviews)

1. "consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I have been working at Computer Aid full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good company to work for

Cons

none that I can think

Advice to Management

none

"Helpdesk Technical Lead 3"

Former Employee - Help Desk Lead Analyst in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Help Desk Lead Analyst in Newark, DE

I worked at Computer Aid (More than a year)

Pros

The only positive thing I can say is; CAI used to have world class clients like Wyeth Pharmaceuticals.

Cons

Widespread problems from Service Delivery managers on down. Cranial-Rectal inversion across the employment spectrum. 2-year model is horrific.

Advice to Management

Leave. Quit. Resign. Allow new talent to bring life back to the company. You are stale, outdated and out of touch. Stop thinking only about your own profit.

3. "Company focuses on the bottom line rather than its people and has some clear ethical issues"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Computer Aid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are nice and the company has a variety of opportunities. Work/life balance is great!

Cons

Company culture is one of back-stabbing to achieve success, throwing people under the bus, lying, and poor ethics. Advancement is based on who you know.

Advice to Management

Take more interest in your employees, don't always chase the quick dollar but invest for long-term success

"Chicago"

Current Employee - ERP Support Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - ERP Support Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Computer Aid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work, good health insurance, generally stable hours, newly built office, free coffee

Cons

Worst clients, Middle managers are inexperienced at hiring, leading, and setting vision for the teams, many people have left the Chicago office within months of starting due to middle management leading by fear, management treats people differently based on race, very reluctant to reward employees for performance, senior management of the office is complete disconnected from how middle management is micro managing staff, middle management is focused on retaining their power and positions making it difficult for people to develop their careers. This particularly exists on the public sector side. Middle managers generally prefer to hire people less talented than themselves.

Advice to Management

Middle management should be trained and coached more closely, the organization is completely disconnected between management ranks. Good managers end up leaving and the bad ones staying.

5. "You are a number to them and they will make you feel as such"

Former Employee - Support in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Support in Orlando, FL

I worked at Computer Aid full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get in, they'll place you and give you interview tips

Cons

They'll get rid of you if you sneeze, micro managed.

Advice to Management

Value your employees,

6. ""GREAT" while it lasted but never again..."

Former Employee - Roadway Network Technician in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Roadway Network Technician in Orlando, FL

I worked at Computer Aid full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice team atmosphere. That's about all I have to say here.

Cons

Not that great on compensation for my first position of of the military. I actually made more while in the service. I was actually scrutinized for taking medical appointments. I was told misleading information by the area contract manager of how the handling of my release was to be handled. It just happened out of now where with situations that were out of my control and for it I was left on the chopping block.

Advice to Management

Hiring a quick replacement dose not always ensure quality of work will be the same as individuals released just because you need to fill a slot for a lost position. Also pay your employees there due overtime.

"Good at development centers, case study if stupidity and politics at HQ"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Computer Aid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The development centers work on actual client needs and are a bit insulated from the nonsense at corporate HQ.

Cons

HQ is a train wreck. Only the politically bent people get promoted, and the CEO is insulated from what really happens by both his wish not to know and the sycophants that directly report to him that cover the bad things up. And if you do tell Tony what he doesn't want to hear, you're on the short list for being pushed out.

The CIO is one of the worst kind of managers. He never took the blame for anything his people did, and used scare tactics on the ones that didn't know enough to fight back. He had no issue taking the credit, however, for other peoples work. Before he was the CIO, he flat out lied to the CEO about status, but then that was what the CEO wanted. Very politically aware. Once the old CIO was pushed out (he was also a piece of work), he wasted no time promoting his favorites and pushing out anyone who was smarter - hence the high exit rate.

Most of the worker bees really wanted to do great work, but the only way they could do what was to get moved out to the development centers or to customer sites.

When I was there, the oldest, biggest piece of software was already an unmanageable pile of ASP and VB code. The poor guy that was in charge of it was berated weekly by the old CIO because of it's problems, yet it was already collapsing under its own weight when he was hired. Then the CEO had a new brain-child "AI" app built that no one wanted to buy, and no one in CAI wanted to use. But the current CEO was managing that one, and told Tony what a great idea it was and how wonderful it was coming along. The lead programmer of that albatross was promoted to Chief Technical Architect, but had as much architectural experience as a bus driver. But he attached himself to the CIO and it worked out for him.

Advice to Management

Wake up and stop coming up with ideas on your own. Get some good marketing people in place that can do the proper segment research and see what your customers really want. Get rid of kissass managers that tell you want you want to hear, and accept the bad news from good managers that shouldn't be afraid to tell you. Or, just sell the company to someone who cares and retire.

"At an Account, the work is okay; at their Headquarters it was bad"

Former Employee - Consultant in Lehigh Valley, PA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Lehigh Valley, PA

I worked at Computer Aid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I was placed, it was a good experience, was able to expand my horizons and get some broad experience in a variety of technologies while on a company help desk

Cons

1. Compensation was lousy,
    2. Their idea of a performance review was to tell me to iron my shirts even thought the projects I worked on brought wide client praise and their compensation was hinged on signing an oppressive no-compete agreement
    3. They regularly took advantage of their staff by taking on projects with impossible deadlines and making them work weekends and sixteen hour days because of their poor planning and misguided management philosophy.
    4. I was made to service a manager's home computer at his house because I did not want to sacrifice six weeks of my life to travel across the country to be a big wig's valet.
    5 At the time I worked there they hired Business Analysts from Salvaggio's alma mater regardless of their IT skills and then proceeded to try to make all of us get retrained in basic computer science and programming on weekends and evenings. I told them no, I already had a Computer Science degree and wasn't going to waste my time repeating stuff I already had a degree in from an accredited university.

Advice to Management

Share the wealth with your staff and treat them like humans...I've been gone for several years but I know from the industry that you haven't changed. You may have a nice building and put on a good front for your customers but you are not so kind or encouraging of your employees, you trap them into working for you and then don't follow through on treating them fairly or like professionals.

"Taking Advantage"

Current Contractor - Software QA Analyst in Newark, DE
    Current Contractor - Software QA Analyst in Newark, DE

I have been working at Computer Aid as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

- Great Co-Workers that genuinely care about the success of the client and of the company
    - Talented Employees that I have personally learned a lot from
    - Flexible on Certain Issues
    - Good Opportunities if you are looking to kick start your career in IT

Cons

- Very Clique-Oriented. Management will often criticize others for doing something, then turn around and do the exact same thing. There is a very strong "Do as I say, Not as I Do" kind of mentality, which leads to a fairly toxic environment, and does not contribute in any way to the success of their client's projects.

- It is blatantly obvious that the company does not value their employees. This company will claim that there is a "Salary Freeze", but only for people that they don't see as "Important Enough" to receive raises. Others will receive substantial raises due to subjectively-based decision making. This company has grown 10+% each year since its inception, with an Expanding Client Base of over 100 Fortune 1000 Companies and several Government Organizations. Let's say that they do actually care about the financial welfare of their employees, and that I'm wrong in this instance. If they can't afford to give their employees raises and incentive to stay, it's because they budget very ineffectively, judging from the millions of dollars that they spend each year on Training Programs that could have otherwise been introduced in a much less expensive and cost efficient manner by utilizing their existing resources at the various Service Centers. However there is no actual way for them to know that their resources can train on these subjects, because there is little or no Management to Employee involvement and even if there is, they take very little interest in their employee's skills/abilities/talents and instead see them as just another project metric/chess piece that can be moved around to fill spaces when needed. This confirms the practicality and applicability of the company's slogan of "You can't manage what you can't measure".

- Very little to no organization. A member of upper management told the employees here at the Newark, DE Service Center that he was going to take advantage of them and not give them any raises or additional incentives. Then, another member of upper management turned around and said that the company was not going to take advantage of them and that they would be receiving further compensation and incentives. This move however, had no effect, as it was pretty obvious to the employees that the second manager was lying in order to get people to stay. There was literally zero coordination between upper management representatives when it came to this issue, which in my opinion, was quite a critical problem and a crucial mistake (judging from the amount of resumes that went out of the door and the amount of heads that transferred companies after the incident).

- The company rules by Intimidation rather than taking the time to understand their employees. The CEO sent an email to the entire company on November 2nd, in which he urged employees to vote for Mitt Romney and a Republican Congress as well as warned that if Obama was Re-Elected, it could "Impact each direction of CAI, its future, and all our collective futures and jobs". This was a very poorly directed PR move, and a prime example of the intimidation factor that this company operates on. Management takes great pride in threatening jobs, intimidating employees, and taking advantage of employees without making them feel valued or needed.

Advice to Management

Be more attentive toward the welfare and/or needs of your employees. They are the backbone of what keeps your company alive. Try to recognize talent, capture it, capitalize on it, and turn that talent into new marketable opportunities in order to expand your business. At the same time, compensate your employees for the hard work and dedication that they deliver to your clients on a daily basis...Don't just make people feel like they have an opportunity to advance in order to keep them, actually give them an opportunity to advance so that they will stay.

"Not a great place to work"

Current Employee - NoCommentStillWorkHere in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - NoCommentStillWorkHere in Allentown, PA

Pros

Location of main office is nice.

Cons

Owner allows management to do whatever they like, often times treating employees badly, bullying, HR violations, etc., owner turns a deaf ear to these problems. Place is very clicky. Nepotism runs rampant and morale is way in the toilet. Salaries are frozen yet management and a select few get raises and company cars, owner spends millions on training for managers and seminars for "industry leaders" while complaining the company makes no money. Developing in the Allentown office is dwindling, lots of work going to China and Manila though, work that has to be redone by the devs in Allentown office.

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves.