Computer Merchant Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
John R. Danieli

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • long hours--micro managed--it's EXTREMEMLY political (in 3 reviews)

• I quit because I was making more in monthly disability payments than I was working full time at a job I hated (in 2 reviews)

"Horrible CEO."

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Computer Merchant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice office. Free water and coffee. You get to work late (required) and must stay at the office until 7:30 pm.

Cons

CEO sets an all time record for being the worst leader in the history of worst and leader. CEO brags to customers about his car and country club memberships.

2. "State of Texas had to force them to pay me owed wages."

Former Contractor - Security Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - Security Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Computer Merchant as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The onboarding process is organized

Cons

TCML aka The Computer Merchant LTD subbed me out to another consulting group and then tried to stiff me an 2 weeks + 1 day of pay, and parking fees. I negotiated a fair rate and it included cost of parking in the client's garage. In the end, TCML tried to refuse to pay me my last 2 weeks of salary and then stopped paying for my parking after the first week. What I found was that they did not add the parking in my clause and backtracked on what they said.

I had to get the Texas Workforce Comission involved and the state of Texas FORCED them to pay me my missing wages. After a 2nd audit review, the state also forced them to pay a 2nd time because they found out that payroll had decided to deduct another day of pay over time without justification.

Advice to Management

Teach your recruiters and account managers to be honest and transparent.

Computer Merchant Response

Sep 7, 2016 – HR Director

TCM pays all consultants in accordance with state and federal regulation and as agreed upon between TCM, the client and the consultant. TCM does its due diligence to ensure any outstanding issues... More

"Join at your own risk- What they won't tell you"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Norwell, MA

I worked at Computer Merchant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Will hire you fresh out of school.
    Very structured environment when it comes to expectations.
    Some of the senior recruiters are really good people.

Cons

To add some context I was a recruiter with them for a little over a year. I was fairly successful when it came to placing people.

Fake Glassdoor posts- In 2010 TCML received a multitude of negative reviews. I was instructed (not asked) to write a positive review so they could improve their online image. Take anything you read after 2010 with a grain of salt.

No work life balance- Mandatory 50 hour work week. Monday-Friday 8:00am-6:00pm. Don't be late and don't leave early or else you will be ostracized.

Commission is awful- I made the company $30,000 gross profit a month (which was also my base salary) and received only $1,200 in commission a month (thats <5%). But what they won't tell you is that anyone you hire is required to have a background check and drug test. 100% of that cost comes directly out of your commission. If someone fails the test or doesn't show up for work you are still on the hook for that cost.

Commission is awful (2)- When I was hired I was promised 6% of gross profit I generated (not great to begin with). That year they restructured commission payouts 3 times and eventually reduced it to ~4.5% for recruiters. John Danieli bought an Aston Martin that year.

Internally competitive- You will sit next to someone who is recruiting on the same job you are so you better cold call as many people you can before your colleague does.

No recruiting Diversity: No other tools and no other methods besides spam and cold calling
    Step 1: Create query in the only database the company has (which just pulls resumes from Monster, Dice, Indeed, ect.)
    Step 2: Send out automated spam email to people in that database.
    Step 3: Cold call as many people as you can- you better hit your 75 calls per day target or else you are in trouble.

Vindictive management- They will try to sue you if you leave. When you join they will have you sign a non-compete clause. You have 1 year FROM THE TIME YOU LEAVE where you are not allowed to be a recruiter anywhere else (paraphrasing how their contract reads).
    I was fired for passively looking for a job. The manager tracked my email which is how he found out. I was called into his office and this is what he said, "I know you interviewed at another company. You are terminated from the system effective immediately. This is the biggest professional mistake of your life, now clean out your desk. Good luck finding a job." (I was hired by that other company that same day thankfully)
    2 Months later, at my new job, I received a cease and desist letter from their lawyer saying if I didn't quit I would have to appear in court. I was lucky that my company's lawyer defended me because some other people were not as fortunate.

No training- You better read up on the technology you will be recruiting for because no one is going to teach you. Very sink or swim.

No advancement- It is a rigid system where people do not get promoted. They will move you out before they move you up.

Advice to Management

When I was there I saw 10 people get fired and 1 person have mental breakdown. The team size was only 20 recruiters. Thats 50% attrition in a year. These people have families and career aspirations, you should treat them with respect and pay them fairly. Also, John, stop skulking around the recruiting pit and let people do their job.

"Like being in Marine boot camp"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwell, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwell, MA

I worked at Computer Merchant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many pros. tough environment to work in. Owner is a first class jerk and his underlings spend most of there day kissing his butt

Cons

They watch over everything and call you out over things that you have no control over. They run such a tight ship that people walk around on their toes so as not to be heard. Never any praise. Never any support from management.

Advice to Management

This is management by fear. They threaten you to get you to do what they want. There is no one to go to for guidance because you cant trust anyone in management.

"My experience at TCM exhausting, and i did alot of hard work for very little return"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Norwell, MA

Pros

good place to learn the very basics of recruiting, meaning the disipline of making 100+ calls a day and how to qualify candidates. other than that not much--get in and leqarn and then leave--

they have a non-compete though.

Cons

long hours--micro managed--it's EXTREMEMLY political. SOME people make ALOT of money--others don't---Some people work on work on REq's that had NO CHANCE od ever closing--where other people would submit candidates and would get them hired with a short phone screen.

the people who make the most closes are the people who ASSIGN the jobs.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that the way they treat their recruioters should be changed to allow more autonomy- also more flexibility as fara s hours go--and more equality as far as who gets to work on what accounts.

"What a joke"

Pros

The offices are beautiful. So are the Bentleys parked outside.

Cons

TCM has unresponsive, incompetent management and they have a real sleazy feel to them. The timesheet and paycheck process always seemed to be an issue. Never , ever got paid on time. Never heard from TCM to hear how my assignment was going, did I need anything, etc. When my assignment did end, I never heard from them again until they were "dying to bring me in" (the recruiter's words) because of another job opening they had several months later that matched my skillset. I politely declined. Guess what though? They sent my resume out to their client anyway. Made me look super-stupid because I had already directly applied to that company. Thanks a bunch.

Advice to Management

Employ ethical, honest business practices. Don't schmooze so much; spend the time used on schmoozing to follow up with candidates who are out on assignment. Listen to employees. Invest in technology. Oh...and pay people on time!