Computer Merchant Reviews | Glassdoor

Computer Merchant Reviews

Updated May 6, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • long hours--micro managed--it's EXTREMEMLY political (in 3 reviews)

• I quit because I was making more in monthly disability payments than I was working full time at a job I hated (in 2 reviews)

1. "It went very well and what I didn't know how to do they helped me figure it out."

Former Employee - Computer Technician in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Computer Technician in Olathe, KS

Pros

Everyone was very nice to work with and the enviroment was always very nice.

Cons

There wasn't really any challenges working there because like I said everyone was very helpful when needed.

Advice to Management

I really don't have any they did a very good job.

"Join at your own risk- What they won't tell you"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Norwell, MA
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Norwell, MA

I worked at Computer Merchant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Will hire you fresh out of school.
    Very structured environment when it comes to expectations.
    Some of the senior recruiters are really good people.

Cons

To add some context I was a recruiter with them for a little over a year. I was fairly successful when it came to placing people.

Fake Glassdoor posts- In 2010 TCML received a multitude of negative reviews. I was instructed (not asked) to write a positive review so they could improve their online image. Take anything you read after 2010 with a grain of salt.

No work life balance- Mandatory 50 hour work week. Monday-Friday 8:00am-6:00pm. Don't be late and don't leave early or else you will be ostracized.

Commission is awful- I made the company $30,000 gross profit a month (which was also my base salary) and received only $1,200 in commission a month (thats <5%). But what they won't tell you is that anyone you hire is required to have a background check and drug test. 100% of that cost comes directly out of your commission. If someone fails the test or doesn't show up for work you are still on the hook for that cost.

Commission is awful (2)- When I was hired I was promised 6% of gross profit I generated (not great to begin with). That year they restructured commission payouts 3 times and eventually reduced it to ~4.5% for recruiters. John Danieli bought an Aston Martin that year.

Internally competitive- You will sit next to someone who is recruiting on the same job you are so you better cold call as many people you can before your colleague does.

No recruiting Diversity: No other tools and no other methods besides spam and cold calling
    Step 1: Create query in the only database the company has (which just pulls resumes from Monster, Dice, Indeed, ect.)
    Step 2: Send out automated spam email to people in that database.
    Step 3: Cold call as many people as you can- you better hit your 75 calls per day target or else you are in trouble.

Vindictive management- They will try to sue you if you leave. When you join they will have you sign a non-compete clause. You have 1 year FROM THE TIME YOU LEAVE where you are not allowed to be a recruiter anywhere else (paraphrasing how their contract reads).
    I was fired for passively looking for a job. The manager tracked my email which is how he found out. I was called into his office and this is what he said, "I know you interviewed at another company. You are terminated from the system effective immediately. This is the biggest professional mistake of your life, now clean out your desk. Good luck finding a job." (I was hired by that other company that same day thankfully)
    2 Months later, at my new job, I received a cease and desist letter from their lawyer saying if I didn't quit I would have to appear in court. I was lucky that my company's lawyer defended me because some other people were not as fortunate.

No training- You better read up on the technology you will be recruiting for because no one is going to teach you. Very sink or swim.

No advancement- It is a rigid system where people do not get promoted. They will move you out before they move you up.

Advice to Management

When I was there I saw 10 people get fired and 1 person have mental breakdown. The team size was only 20 recruiters. Thats 50% attrition in a year. These people have families and career aspirations, you should treat them with respect and pay them fairly. Also, John, stop skulking around the recruiting pit and let people do their job.

"Like being in Marine boot camp"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwell, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwell, MA

I worked at Computer Merchant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many pros. tough environment to work in. Owner is a first class jerk and his underlings spend most of there day kissing his butt

Cons

They watch over everything and call you out over things that you have no control over. They run such a tight ship that people walk around on their toes so as not to be heard. Never any praise. Never any support from management.

Advice to Management

This is management by fear. They threaten you to get you to do what they want. There is no one to go to for guidance because you cant trust anyone in management.

"An exciting fast paced environment with great support structure"

I have been working at Computer Merchant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

limitless earning potential, effective management, friendly competition, team environment, driven workers build motivation, opportunities for fun around the workplace and after work, use of helpful technology with great support staff in all departments!

Cons

The occasional slow days, work can be difficult and sometimes yield no results, overall though if you put in the work it is rewarding despite the difficulties.

"TCM truly shows employee appreciation, that makes me want to give my all and keep coming back."

I have been working at Computer Merchant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the environment, the opportunity, the people..

Cons

the long days, base salary

Advice to Management

rules for competiveness between recruiters

"How To Get An Extra Paycheck Every Month! Legally!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwell, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwell, MA

I have been working at Computer Merchant full-time

Pros

Some people will tell you that quitting your job and doing what you love is the answer for all of life’s problems. It’s the cure for what’s ailing the stressed out, overworked, and underengaged human. The truth is obvious: quitting your job will definitely not solve all of your problems, working at The Computer Merchant will...

Cons

Due to your overwhelming schedule, I've had to sacrifice old habits like healthy eating, recreational sports, and working out. The other day I looked down and realized that I was the size of a mid-level commercial airliner.

Advice to Management

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

8. "The staff is friendly and helpful, giving me the tools for success."

I have been working at Computer Merchant full-time

Pros

It is an environment that demands your best but rewards you for hard work.

Cons

Not many. As long as you perform, they take care of you.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in and training your employees and they will continue to outperform past numbers.

9. "Awesome company to work for."

I have been working at Computer Merchant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are very big on employee appreciation, and team building. Management and co-workers are very helpful and nice to work with. You get a sense of being in a family company, because you can tell they care about not only their sucess but your personal sucess.

Cons

The only con would be the starting base salary is a little low.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

10. "Being a Technical Recruiter at TCML has been a pleasant surprise!"

I have been working at Computer Merchant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are not micromanaged whatsoever. There are usually a large number of reqs to work on at any given moment. Upper management is easily accessible and you do not need to make an appointment to speak with them, you simply walk into their office. All processes are completed in-house, so when you need something completed for one of your consultants, you can walk over to the staff and get it done ASAP if need be. Time will fly by when you are busy. Also, holidays are incredible here! Since it is not

Cons

One of the only things that I would say is the base pay is about average. This isn't necessarily a 'con', but it would be nice to have a bit more the first couple of months (it is the Boston area). However, as long as you do your job properly, you can give yourself a nice raise in the first couple of months anyways.

Advice to Management

Most of the software we use is pretty up-to-date (and fast), but we need something better along the lines of connecting the phone to the computer for a more efficient ways of calling and keeping track of our consultants activities. Our main system, Outlook and Excel are a bit much to track for one consultant. Consolidate the software so we can move people through the processes faster. The software isn't complicated, by the way, but only if you are good on a computer in the first place. But overall the management here is pretty awesome! The CEO is very down to earth and his executive staff is amongst the best I've ever come across! They create a good work environment and are genuine people.

"The most Entrepreneurial environment I've ever been a part of!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Norwell, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Norwell, MA

I have been working at Computer Merchant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Limitless opportunities to pursue new business, to share ideas and actually implement them. I'm free to run my desk as I would my own business and I love that freedom. Uncapped earning potential! Since I've joined I been supported 100% internally and it really feels like everyone wants to see you succeed (and doesn't just say it).

Cons

Technology can be a little intimidating at first and I wish there was something in place to make me feel a little more comfortable with industry terminology but, in all honesty, it wasn't difficult to learn on my own.