Computers Unlimited Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
David Schaer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good company with great people"

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Billings, MT

I have been working at Computers Unlimited full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dedicated people working together in small, mostly self managed teams. The culture emphasizes personal responsibility, and cooperation.

Cons

Development methodologies are changing without sufficient communication as to why the changes are necessary or what problems need to be solved.

2. "Intern Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bozeman, MT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Computers Unlimited (Less than a year)

Pros

Their managers are flexible and promote a learning experience. You get great hands on experience designing actual software as an intern. A senior software engineer will mentor you throughout your experience here. Lastly, learning C# is a great asset to add to any resume.

Cons

The campus in Bozeman is very small and there is very little social interaction.

Advice to Management

Management should have a few more employees in the Bozeman are so the work atmosphere can improve.

"Good company with bad management"

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Billings, MT
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Billings, MT

I have been working at Computers Unlimited (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees and clients are often very friendly. Company allows you to maintain a work/life balance if desired. Great place for young starters to get their foot in the door.

Cons

Company would rather worry more about their community image by donating funds to multiple organizations. Falls short on taking care of their own people. Raises are minimum, people are not paid what they are worth. Management is settled in and shows no sign of openings for quite some time. Nepotism seems to be par for the course (knowing someone is better than knowing something). Seldom challenging position.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth. Focus more on your employees. Do not boast of record profits if the employees that helped you get those profits are not being properly compensated.

4. "Good for junior developers - dead end for others"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Billings, MT
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Billings, MT

I have been working at Computers Unlimited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CU has some very talented technical talent, and it could be a good place for a junior developer to learn the ropes. If you're looking for a place where the expectation is to just do what's asked of you, this could be a great fit.

Cons

CU could be a really great company - they have hard working, dedicated, smart talent. But they shoot themselves in the foot in so many ways.

Instead of embracing diversity, management directly perpetuates a gossipy, unprofessional culture. Even if you do manage to stay under the radar, the company has a staggering technical debt - much of their product is non object oriented and written in a pre-2000 language. And if you do manage to be on a team that is using C# instead of an antiquated language, you can forget about growing your career at CU - that's not just my experience - I know of several very deserving people that have been there 10 years plus and are stuck - they stay because there aren't a whole lot places in a small town like Billings that hires WPF developers. And believe it or not - management actually said "just keep doing a great job and you'll be a cog in the wheel like everyone else".

If you want a company where you can make a difference and grow, this isn't it.

Advice to Management

If you feel that your staff has little to offer in the way of ideas and improvements, then keep doing what you're doing. Otherwise, stop treating your people like widgets. Just as others have commented, improve communication, put an end to the gossip and pettiness at the management level, and open your doors and minds to the people who want to do a great job for you.

"Empioyment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billings, MT

I worked at Computers Unlimited full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with
    Casual work enviroment
    Salary is middle of the road or average
    Good place to build entry tp mid career experience quickly

Cons

very little advancement opportunithy
    salary potential very limited
    use lateral movements as a way to not have limit payroll
    poor management structure

Advice to Management

Way to much micro-managent going on in some departments, if you don't give those looking to move up or build quality experiece a chance then who is going to have the experience needed in the future to run departments.
    Making every job opening a leteral movement give no incentive for anyone to want to move from there current positioin into something new
    Non-existant career development will cause your best employees to seek out employment with other companies

"Great place to work, wish I could have stayed longer..."

Former Employee - Internal Systems in Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Internal Systems in Billings, MT

I worked at Computers Unlimited full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, not corporate, good company values, privately owned. No dress code, very causal. Decent communication between departments, and everyone works well together. In the downtown area, so lots of places to eat and walk to. Beer Fridays used to be a norm, but went away/were much less frequent with staff changes. Very flexible for work/life, and focused on family values.

Cons

401k was not very good, but it was available. I didn't use the benefit plan because I was covered under my spouse's plan. I left was because of low pay and I was bored. Pretty standard benefits for a Montana business that is privately owned.

Advice to Management

Be sure to pay what people are worth, see the potential in employees and promote from within and grow your employees skill set. Communicate down and across departments.

7. "All in All - A Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Billings, MT

Pros

The fellow employees make CU an outstanding place to work.

Cons

There openings for management level positions are few and far between.

Advice to Management

Communication from the top down would be much appreciated.

8. "Great First Job or Internship"

Pros

Helpful Senior Staff, Flexible Hours, Convenient Location

Cons

Small Office, Low Starting Pay

9. "The Manager Makes All The Difference"

I have been working at Computers Unlimited full-time

Pros

Competitive salaries and benefits. Flexible work time depending on department and manager.

Cons

A lot of us versus them mentality between groups and departments.

10. "Support Technician / Computer Administrator"

I worked at Computers Unlimited full-time

Pros

The owners were the best bosses in the world, I love the challenge that the job gave me, I worked on servers as well as pc it was a great opportunity to solve problems face to face with the workers at my assign places.

Cons

Sometimes i had to answer my phone late at night to give technical support to one of our clients.

Advice to Management

To have successful employees you need to treat them like people and always be ready to help when something is not known.