Compuware Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Compuware Chief Executive Officer Chris O’Malley
Chris O’Malley

Pros
  • Reinvented now with a focus on work-life balance, agile practices (in 24 reviews)

• good benefits - able to move to different positions (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management didn't care about employees placed on client account (in 17 reviews)

• Senior Management was very remote and fostered a climate of fear (in 15 reviews)

"Ambitious, innovative reboot of Detroit institution"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

* Very little bureaucracy or intra-office politics. People are kind, sharp and professional.
    * Culture is fantastic, with a great deal of comradery. Hard to envision replicating it elsewhere.
    * Management is incredibly focused on big picture and communicates priorities well.
    * Great environment to learn and improve. Lots of experienced team members to provide mentoring. Encouraging atmosphere.
    * Very cool customer base with lots of established companies relying on our tools to do important things. Work feels meaningful.
    * Company is located in the heart of downtown Detroit near lots of attractions
    * Competitive salary and benefits
    * Family-friendly - there is a reputable daycare on-site and flexible work schedules are available.

Cons

* It has a scrappy, entrepreneurial atmosphere. Unless you are a self-starter, it might not be for you.
    * The company is focused on growth, and with growth comes change. This company is constantly in motion, and that might not appeal to everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep setting clear strategy, celebrating every win, and showing the employees and customers how much they are valued.

"Great place to work with the latest in Technology. 25+ years with the company"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Compuware (More than 10 years)

Pros

Always new stuff to learn and opportunities to stretch you. Flexible hours outside of of core hours as long as your projects are getting done. Company has onsite Wellness Center, Child Care, and Cafeteria. Work in a thriving downtown area with tons of living options, restaurants, and entertainment venues.

Cons

Honestly, I am having a hard time coming up with any.
    In the past, there has not been much in the budget for education that required travel. I think that is changing for the better.

"Okay, I guess"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Detroit, MI

I worked at Compuware (More than 5 years)

Pros

Now that they are much more streamlined in their business and finally (thank goodness) rid of PK, the company is able to focus on their core business and make positive strides.

Cons

Although they are making positive strides, they are doing so in a largely dead market.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the core business and treat employees well. They deserve it after putting up with PK for so long.

Compuware Response

Jan 26, 2017 – HR Director

This individual is correct in that Compuware is focusing on our core business and making positive strides, however, their assertion that the mainframe market is “largely dead” could not be further ... More

"Not your father's Compuware"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compuware, today, is totally different than it was before. I was hired in the 90's, during the high times, and the company was very large, split apart into many different areas. I was fortunate to survive through the low times and thought as many have that this company would not survive. Today, it's totally different. We are very focused, with a CEO that has a very clear vision of where we want to go. There is a lot to do here and a lot of opportunity to grow. The future looks very bright here at Compuware.

Cons

The largest issue here is resource. Compuware needs talented people that want to learn and grow. This isn't causing us to be overworked, but frustrated in knowing we could deliver so much more if we could find more people. The old image of Compuware is still a deterrent for some people to want to come here.

6. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davisburg, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davisburg, MI

I worked at Compuware (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities! Leadership was great at recognizing your contributions and successes.

Cons

Would have been greatly appreciated to have more vacation / paid time off. Oftentimes, time off policies varied from department to department.

"Are you ready for a change?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

I had worked for Compuware for nearly 26 years. There have been good times and there have been bad times. I stuck around because I always believed in the products we developed and their importance in the marketplace. Most of my adult life has been with Compuware. I have built relationships with coworkers and customers. I have spent more time with my work peers than I have spent with my own family. I did reach a point however when the work felt less meaningful and motivation was waning. It was a very difficult decision for me, but I did end up changing jobs, trying something entirely new. It was only then that I realized how long overdue this change was. I was in a rut then, but I am now excited again to go to work each morning and face new and invigorating challenges. It’s like that first job out of college where you see a whole new world open up for you.
    Do you still find your job meaningful? Are you excited to come to work, or is it only a paycheck until retirement? Change can be very liberating. Why are you still holding on to something that does not bring you happiness? Going through the motions at your job should not be an option.
    By the way, did I mention that I accepted a new job at Compuware? That’s right, Compuware. But it’s not the Compuware of yesterday. It is a new and gritty company that still has best in class products that are heavily relied upon by programmers around the globe. It is a company that is invested in the mainframe and creating quite a stir in the IT world with its vision and transformation. I am very fortunate that I have been able to change careers and stay with the same tried and true company that has gone through a significant evolution. If you are in a rut and feel that life should hold more than going through the motions, you should check out Compuware for exciting career opportunities.

Cons

We have been waiting for bright and talented people to come visit us and seek employment opportunities. We are anxious to meet you. Where are you?

"Velociraptors"

Pros

We focus on the Mainframe, so some would say that makes us dinosaurs. But we are Agile, ever so nimble and quick. And that makes us Velociraptors. A changing environment where we pursue making software easy to use and valuable in its function. Wasn't always like this. We used to be Brontosauruses. Slow and plodding. Oh, we got the job done - eventually. But now? Zoom-zoom.

Cons

Hey, some pros are also cons. You have to be nimble and ready to change. If you're looking for something like quick-set concrete (you know, it starts on flexible but hardens into rigidness), this isn't he place for you. Sometimes it can be frustrating. But it can also be rewarding. Sometimes in the same day. You gotta be ready to come to the dance prepared to, well, dance.

Advice to Management

Change happens, prepare us. Better yet, lead us - go with us. If you have a vision - a real one and not a 'mission statement' - inspire us. In the last couple of years you've been like Moses - you know what you're doing and where we're going - to the promised land!

"Turned the corner, heading for home"

Pros

Compuware is an incredibly exciting and fast paced company to work for. there are no shortage of opportunities to engage in work that has high viability and is impactful to the transformation of the organization. Turning around a company this fast is not without its challenges but if you are willing to step out of the shadows their are some incredibly fulfilling opportunities to make a difference. All you have to do is be comfortable in taking the first step.

Cons

The work can be intense and all consuming, but anything in life that is worthwhile requires a commitment that matches the scope of the opportunity. This is the ultimate "when I look back on the work I did it was some of the best experiences of my career".

Advice to Management

Keep going, continue to celebrate success not matter how big or small.

"Professional Staff"

Former Employee - Professional Staff in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Professional Staff in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Bench pay, friendly environment. Always on the project, competitive pay. Locations preferences were given.

Cons

career growth is limited. short term projects. Tough life during the economic depression.

Advice to Management

Refer to Cons above.

11. "Great"

Pros

Great company to gain experience, and lots of opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Long hours at times. Would like to have had more work-life balance.