Compuware Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Compuware Chief Executive Officer Chris O’Malley
Chris O’Malley

Pros
  • Expect to work hard and when you need it, there will be flexibility for work-life balance (in 25 reviews)

• good benefits - able to move to different positions (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management didn't care about employees placed on client account (in 17 reviews)

• Zero career growth and no recognition (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Compuware and Detroit: Experiencing a Renaissance"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Compuware (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compuware is based in Detroit, a city is experiencing a renaissance, undergoing an amazing transformation. Compuware is experiencing a similar renaissance.

Over the last couple of years, Compuware has made a significant pivot in its vision, leadership, and practices. In 2014, a new executive team was formed that has turned the company around: provided an inspiring vision for Compuware and its place in the market. Compuware is now an agile company with a laser focus in creating a DevOps toolchain that enable companies to develop and maintain mainframe applications in an agile way.

Having worked for Compuware now for 22 years, more than half of which has been here in Detroit, I've never been more excited about our collective future. I feel privileged to be a part of it all.

Cons

The biggest con is that there is a misconception of the mainframe as an outdated, dying technology. Compuware is working to inform the software industry on the facts about the mainframe. The mainframe will remain an indispensable and viable platform in nearly every digital market.

2. "An excellent company to work for!"

Current Employee - Software Architect in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great processes, excellent opportunities, and a killer downtown environment.

Cons

None that I can think of.

3. "Great Opportunity for Growth in a Supportive Environment"

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compuware has seen many changes in the past couple of years. Change can feel hard, but it has brought incredible opportunity. If you want to grow your skills, you will be given a chance. If you want to attend a conference, there is that opportunity. If you want a leadership role, they will try to find a fit. Expect to work hard and when you need it, there will be flexibility for work-life balance. There is also a supportive community. We support one-another as if we are extended family. Management communicates their long-term strategy for growing the business and want you to understand how your hard work plays a part in it. All this happens with a great group of experts in every aspect of the mainframe.

Cons

Planning and communication across product teams could be improved. Sometimes there is last-minute deadline stress.

Advice to Management

Overall, I feel the leadership team works hard to give us a great workplace. Long-term planning that fits into short-term goals consistently could be improved.

"Never knew a 5-star employer could exist!"

Current Employee - Territory Account Manager in Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Territory Account Manager in Macon, GA

I have been working at Compuware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Motivation and strategy starts at the top and doesn't stop. Chris O'Malley is so unique in his approach and style. He says things that go against the grain but can back them up with proof points, knowledge and results. Everyone in the company works together and the quality of my associates is incredible. Everyone has a "can do" attitude about everything. Literally the best of everything I have ever worked with from recruitment to onboarding to marketing to product management to sales and sales support. Information is disseminated quickly and effectively and we are kept up to date through weekly, bi-weekly, quarterly and annual events. It's a cadence that works well.

Cons

New business is a challenge and end of month/quarter/year is taken very seriously (this is a good thing also). High expectations but that's really the worst con there is.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Ambitious, innovative reboot of Detroit institution"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

* Very little bureaucracy or intra-office politics. People are kind, sharp and professional.
    * Culture is fantastic, with a great deal of comradery. Hard to envision replicating it elsewhere.
    * Management is incredibly focused on big picture and communicates priorities well.
    * Great environment to learn and improve. Lots of experienced team members to provide mentoring. Encouraging atmosphere.
    * Very cool customer base with lots of established companies relying on our tools to do important things. Work feels meaningful.
    * Company is located in the heart of downtown Detroit near lots of attractions
    * Competitive salary and benefits
    * Family-friendly - there is a reputable daycare on-site and flexible work schedules are available.

Cons

* It has a scrappy, entrepreneurial atmosphere. Unless you are a self-starter, it might not be for you.
    * The company is focused on growth, and with growth comes change. This company is constantly in motion, and that might not appeal to everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep setting clear strategy, celebrating every win, and showing the employees and customers how much they are valued.

"Great place to work with the latest in Technology. 25+ years with the company"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Compuware (More than 10 years)

Pros

Always new stuff to learn and opportunities to stretch you. Flexible hours outside of of core hours as long as your projects are getting done. Company has onsite Wellness Center, Child Care, and Cafeteria. Work in a thriving downtown area with tons of living options, restaurants, and entertainment venues.

Cons

Honestly, I am having a hard time coming up with any.
    In the past, there has not been much in the budget for education that required travel. I think that is changing for the better.

8. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davisburg, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davisburg, MI

I worked at Compuware (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities! Leadership was great at recognizing your contributions and successes.

Cons

Would have been greatly appreciated to have more vacation / paid time off. Oftentimes, time off policies varied from department to department.

"Are you ready for a change?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

I had worked for Compuware for nearly 26 years. There have been good times and there have been bad times. I stuck around because I always believed in the products we developed and their importance in the marketplace. Most of my adult life has been with Compuware. I have built relationships with coworkers and customers. I have spent more time with my work peers than I have spent with my own family. I did reach a point however when the work felt less meaningful and motivation was waning. It was a very difficult decision for me, but I did end up changing jobs, trying something entirely new. It was only then that I realized how long overdue this change was. I was in a rut then, but I am now excited again to go to work each morning and face new and invigorating challenges. It’s like that first job out of college where you see a whole new world open up for you.
    Do you still find your job meaningful? Are you excited to come to work, or is it only a paycheck until retirement? Change can be very liberating. Why are you still holding on to something that does not bring you happiness? Going through the motions at your job should not be an option.
    By the way, did I mention that I accepted a new job at Compuware? That’s right, Compuware. But it’s not the Compuware of yesterday. It is a new and gritty company that still has best in class products that are heavily relied upon by programmers around the globe. It is a company that is invested in the mainframe and creating quite a stir in the IT world with its vision and transformation. I am very fortunate that I have been able to change careers and stay with the same tried and true company that has gone through a significant evolution. If you are in a rut and feel that life should hold more than going through the motions, you should check out Compuware for exciting career opportunities.

Cons

We have been waiting for bright and talented people to come visit us and seek employment opportunities. We are anxious to meet you. Where are you?

"Coming back to Compuware"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not the "old" Compuware. Reinvented now with a focus on work-life balance, agile practices. Fun place to be. Like working at a startup with a lot of history.

Cons

Haven't discovered any since coming back after 10.5 years. If you can call it a con, the company does run lean with employees, but does add when it's really needed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, and stay focused!

"Established Company with a start-up mentality"

Current Employee - Product Owner in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with Compuware for 26 years. In that time it's gone from private to public, and back to private. the 1990's was good, the 2000's went from good to terrible, and from 2014 to now it's gone from bad to Excellent. With the new management and advent of Agile development, Compuware is now a fun and exciting place to work. If you're looking for an established company with a start-up mentality, this is the place for you. I can;t say enough about the culture change here at Compuware. I never thought I'd say this again, but I'm proud and lucky to be working at Compuware.

Cons

Most of the development work is done in Detroit. While many see this as a negative, I've seen a renaissance in the city of Detroit in the past 5 years. Downtown Detroit is young and vibrant again thanks to companies like Compuware and Quicken Loans.