Compuware Reviews | Glassdoor

Compuware Reviews

Updated January 14, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Expect to work hard and when you need it, there will be flexibility for work-life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Well organized company and good people to work together (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Working in Downtown Detroit is great but if you want to have a house with a yard you have to drive a distance from work to home (in 8 reviews)

• poor salary, less career growth (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davisburg, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davisburg, MI

I worked at Compuware (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities! Leadership was great at recognizing your contributions and successes.

Cons

Would have been greatly appreciated to have more vacation / paid time off. Oftentimes, time off policies varied from department to department.

"Are you ready for a change?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

I had worked for Compuware for nearly 26 years. There have been good times and there have been bad times. I stuck around because I always believed in the products we developed and their importance in the marketplace. Most of my adult life has been with Compuware. I have built relationships with coworkers and customers. I have spent more time with my work peers than I have spent with my own family. I did reach a point however when the work felt less meaningful and motivation was waning. It was a very difficult decision for me, but I did end up changing jobs, trying something entirely new. It was only then that I realized how long overdue this change was. I was in a rut then, but I am now excited again to go to work each morning and face new and invigorating challenges. It’s like that first job out of college where you see a whole new world open up for you.
    Do you still find your job meaningful? Are you excited to come to work, or is it only a paycheck until retirement? Change can be very liberating. Why are you still holding on to something that does not bring you happiness? Going through the motions at your job should not be an option.
    By the way, did I mention that I accepted a new job at Compuware? That’s right, Compuware. But it’s not the Compuware of yesterday. It is a new and gritty company that still has best in class products that are heavily relied upon by programmers around the globe. It is a company that is invested in the mainframe and creating quite a stir in the IT world with its vision and transformation. I am very fortunate that I have been able to change careers and stay with the same tried and true company that has gone through a significant evolution. If you are in a rut and feel that life should hold more than going through the motions, you should check out Compuware for exciting career opportunities.

Cons

We have been waiting for bright and talented people to come visit us and seek employment opportunities. We are anxious to meet you. Where are you?

"Professional Staff"

Former Employee - Professional Staff in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Professional Staff in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Bench pay, friendly environment. Always on the project, competitive pay. Locations preferences were given.

Cons

career growth is limited. short term projects. Tough life during the economic depression.

Advice to Management

Refer to Cons above.

"Velociraptors"

Pros

We focus on the Mainframe, so some would say that makes us dinosaurs. But we are Agile, ever so nimble and quick. And that makes us Velociraptors. A changing environment where we pursue making software easy to use and valuable in its function. Wasn't always like this. We used to be Brontosauruses. Slow and plodding. Oh, we got the job done - eventually. But now? Zoom-zoom.

Cons

Hey, some pros are also cons. You have to be nimble and ready to change. If you're looking for something like quick-set concrete (you know, it starts on flexible but hardens into rigidness), this isn't he place for you. Sometimes it can be frustrating. But it can also be rewarding. Sometimes in the same day. You gotta be ready to come to the dance prepared to, well, dance.

Advice to Management

Change happens, prepare us. Better yet, lead us - go with us. If you have a vision - a real one and not a 'mission statement' - inspire us. In the last couple of years you've been like Moses - you know what you're doing and where we're going - to the promised land!

"Turned the corner, heading for home"

Pros

Compuware is an incredibly exciting and fast paced company to work for. there are no shortage of opportunities to engage in work that has high viability and is impactful to the transformation of the organization. Turning around a company this fast is not without its challenges but if you are willing to step out of the shadows their are some incredibly fulfilling opportunities to make a difference. All you have to do is be comfortable in taking the first step.

Cons

The work can be intense and all consuming, but anything in life that is worthwhile requires a commitment that matches the scope of the opportunity. This is the ultimate "when I look back on the work I did it was some of the best experiences of my career".

Advice to Management

Keep going, continue to celebrate success not matter how big or small.

"Compuware and Detroit: Experiencing a Renaissance"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Compuware (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compuware is based in Detroit, a city is experiencing a renaissance, undergoing an amazing transformation. Compuware is experiencing a similar renaissance.

Over the last couple of years, Compuware has made a significant pivot in its vision, leadership, and practices. In 2014, a new executive team was formed that has turned the company around: provided an inspiring vision for Compuware and its place in the market. Compuware is now an agile company with a laser focus in creating a DevOps toolchain that enable companies to develop and maintain mainframe applications in an agile way.

Having worked for Compuware now for 22 years, more than half of which has been here in Detroit, I've never been more excited about our collective future. I feel privileged to be a part of it all.

Cons

The biggest con is that there is a misconception of the mainframe as an outdated, dying technology. Compuware is working to inform the software industry on the facts about the mainframe. The mainframe will remain an indispensable and viable platform in nearly every digital market.

"Coming back to Compuware"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not the "old" Compuware. Reinvented now with a focus on work-life balance, agile practices. Fun place to be. Like working at a startup with a lot of history.

Cons

Haven't discovered any since coming back after 10.5 years. If you can call it a con, the company does run lean with employees, but does add when it's really needed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, and stay focused!

8. "Great"

Pros

Great company to gain experience, and lots of opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Long hours at times. Would like to have had more work-life balance.

"Great place to work!"

Pros

Really exciting company to work for.
    Flexible and supportive culture.
    Fantastic leadership.
    Working in Downtown Detroit is exciting as it continues to grow and develop to be a desirable place to be everyday.

Cons

The Company has undergone significant transformation over the last 2 years. It is a challenge to overcome the negative perceptions that exist about how the Mainframe business was previously run, but the Company has dramatically changed for the better!

"Established Company with a start-up mentality"

Current Employee - Product Owner in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Compuware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with Compuware for 26 years. In that time it's gone from private to public, and back to private. the 1990's was good, the 2000's went from good to terrible, and from 2014 to now it's gone from bad to Excellent. With the new management and advent of Agile development, Compuware is now a fun and exciting place to work. If you're looking for an established company with a start-up mentality, this is the place for you. I can;t say enough about the culture change here at Compuware. I never thought I'd say this again, but I'm proud and lucky to be working at Compuware.

Cons

Most of the development work is done in Detroit. While many see this as a negative, I've seen a renaissance in the city of Detroit in the past 5 years. Downtown Detroit is young and vibrant again thanks to companies like Compuware and Quicken Loans.